Relegation Battle

Bris Vegas

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, ram59 said:

14th of November last season,  Barnsley were second bottom of league 1 and 13 points from the play offs, where are they now? 

You beat me to it. And they won the Johnson's Paint trophy during their amazing turnround.

@Bris Vegas

I hardly think my post was worth putting up there. Its not negative or saying we were in a relegation battle at all. All I said was that the defense were doing a good job but the attackers were struggling. That was fact. The other bit was hoping it doesn't continue.

You should tar everyone with the same brush. Its fine in hindsight to do a 'I told you so' but it doesn't make you clever or right for that matter everyone, has the right an opinion.

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

14th of November last season,  Barnsley were second bottom of league 1 and 13 points from the play offs, where are they now? 

Same place as they were then. Yorkshire.

this thread from the poster who was adamant we would do well to finish in the top 8 last season when Wassall was running things! Scare mongering to the max.

I never once thought we were in a relegation battle. We have too much quality and a owner willing to pull the trigger, which he thankfully did.

All we needed was positive intent on the pitch.

On 06/11/2016 at 00:02, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Goal of the season IMO. 

Is the season over? I think there is more to come and I think we have scored better team goals in Mac's first season.

I'm optimistic and always have been. It's always better to peak late in this league and take that momentum into the play offs.

:)  

We aren't in a relegation battle. 

We maybe not even be in a promotion battle.

Take the season game by game until 1st of March and look at the table then. 

Nottingham Forest are the ones in a relegation battle. They don't have the squad depth to get them out of this rot that they are in. 

UP THE RAMS.

6 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Is the season over? 

I didn't say anything about that, all I said was that Benty goal in my OPINION is goal of the SEASON.. But yeah you're right there could be more to come from now to May BUT I still think Benty goal is goal of the season I ain't going to change my mind on that anyway. 

:) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7 November 2016 at 18:49, Mostyn6 said:

this thread from the poster who was adamant we would do well to finish in the top 8 last season when Wassall was running things! Scare mongering to the max.

I never once thought we were in a relegation battle. We have too much quality and a owner willing to pull the trigger, which he thankfully did.

All we needed was positive intent on the pitch.

Did you see how we 'played' at Burton?

On 05/11/2016 at 21:37, Bris Vegas said:

Simple maths suggest making the playoffs is an extremely tough task, hence why I said it.

75 points on average gets you there. So we need 55 points from 30 games, 1.83 per match or 85 points over a 46-game campaign which we did in our best year under McClaren.

There is a difference in saying it's a write off in terms of promotion, as IMO it is, than just naming it a write off altogether. There are still plenty of positives we can take even if we don't make top six.

Think what people miss sometimes is we are talking about putting a run together averaging 1.83 per match ? Not doing it over a full season which is far more difficult to sustain ,, most teams in the championship ( apart from the odd glitch season /team that run amok) have bad spells and great spells where they average very high points ,, play off is a very real possibility , if results went half ways decent over the next few weeks we could easily find ourselves 3  points off play offs in three games time , we have had a massive bad spell but there is a growing feeling around the club and a momentum building that could easily see us rump up the table and be right in the shake up,, not saying it will happen but it is very reachable 

28 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

yes. Why?

I cannot recall being as disillusioned with a Derby squad as I was that day.

We were so awful and so dispirited, it was hard not to wonder if we could sleepwalk into a relegation battle after that day.

Edit: it would be more accurate to express it in reverse. It was easy to imagine us sleepwalking into a relegation battle after our performance against Burton.

Just now, EssendonRam said:

I cannot recall being as disillusioned with a Derby squad as I was that day.

We were so awful and so dispirited, it was hard not to wonder if we could sleepwalk into a relegation battle after that day.

I don't get ya. Why are you responding to my comment. It's quite clear what i thought. We wouldn't cos the chairman would pull the trigger, and he did.

How would you define relegation battle ?

My two penny worth : 

Relegation battle means you are already in the relegation places or losing your next game would put you in said places. 

We are not in a relegation battle (at the moment) and current form suggests we won't be 

We are also not promotion contenders but current form suggest we could be. 

This is stating the obvious and written cos I'm fed up waiting for Saturday and the hope that we are going to put on a show and silence the gloom mongers. COYR

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I don't get ya. Why are you responding to my comment. It's quite clear what i thought. We wouldn't cos the chairman would pull the trigger, and he did.

Two things: I tried to edit the comment to read "it was easy to imagine us sleepwalking into a relegation battle" but was too late.

Secondly, it is 5.47am here and I have not slept even a minute on either of the last two nights and was pretty restless for at least the two before that. In other words, I am not surprised I am not making  any sense right now. I'd be more surprised if I am writing anything even remotely recognisable as English. I blame my insomnia. Sorry.

Archived