Is Mac trying to do a Thorne on Vydra?

Duracell

On 05/11/2016 at 17:04, Duracell said:

A lot of fans forget that there was a gap between George Thorne joining the club and the start of the huge impact he made which took us to the next level, three years ago.

For his first few games, McClaren parked Thorne on the bench and instead played the more experience Eustace. Thorne had a chance to observe his team-mate and understand what was expected of the CDM in the system, and his time in the dugout inevitably made him even more keen to impress when he got his chance - which only came about due to Eustace earning a suspension.

Without Martin or a striker of his mould in the squad, our system has to adapt to Bent or Vydra, who aren't totally dissimilar players. I was just wondering aloud whether Schteve is trying to frustrate and educate Vydra a bit by picking Bent instead of him,like Eustace over Thorne?

A lot of fans have been saying that Vydra's making the right runs, it'ss just that our players aren't spotting them. However Bent's performance today suggests our midfielders and wingers have no problem spotting a good run when they see it. Maybe Vydra needs to learn a bit more about his team-mates, and that comes from working on the training ground and watching Bent have a go first?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here @Duracell.

I've thought for a while the problem with Vydra is likely unfamiliarity in playing that specific role. He was frequently making the wrong decision with his movement or being indecisive and it was hampering our attack but I think given time and coaching he will get there because he's clearly talented.

It's actually been a big surprise the improvements that Darren Bent (someone I've been very critical of for just being a poacher) seems to have made in this respect, with saturday being his best all round performance for me and seems to be really leading the line well.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/5/2016 at 17:48, RoyMac5 said:

Vydz missed an absolute sitter that would have put the game to bed. Plus imho he shouldn't have had his other 'optimistic' second shot, but held possession of the ball - seemed more interested in proving a point?

Simply cannot agree that it was a sitter. A sitter, for me, is an open goal, which is certainly not what Vydra was facing. 

Also, the difference between a top quality striker is the willingness to try something a bit audacious. His second shot wasn't a million miles away, and on another day may have nestled in the net... But you'll never find out if you hold possession all the time. He had a go and it went out for a GK, plenty of time then for our 11 men to organise themselves and keep Wolves from scoring. Can't blame him for having a punt. 

3 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Simply cannot agree that it was a sitter. A sitter, for me, is an open goal, which is certainly not what Vydra was facing. 

Also, the difference between a top quality striker is the willingness to try something a bit audacious. His second shot wasn't a million miles away, and on another day may have nestled in the net... But you'll never find out if you hold possession all the time. He had a go and it went out for a GK, plenty of time then for our 11 men to organise themselves and keep Wolves from scoring. Can't blame him for having a punt. 

A good team player is also essential - like Ince did at the end, realised it was better for the team to ensure the points and took the ball into the corner. If it had gone in...but it didn't and neither did his shot from in front of goal. I'm sure he'll be a decent striker for us, but it was an awful miss.

21 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I see your point but in fairness our four games previous to this were against top 10 sides and we managed a very respectable 7 points from the four games. 

Oh we have made an improvement, but there is a long way to go both in terms of time and scope for improvement.  

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Oh we have made an improvement, but there is a long way to go both in terms of time and scope for improvement.  

I agree wholeheartedly with that and I think we will see steady improvement from now till the end of the season but will have to suffer a few bumps along the way. I think the reason why people might be seeming to get ahead of themselves is just relief at seeing something to have a bit of excitement about and perhaps seeing there might be a way out from the turgid start to the season.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

A good team player is also essential - like Ince did at the end, realised it was better for the team to ensure the points and took the ball into the corner. If it had gone in...but it didn't and neither did his shot from in front of goal. I'm sure he'll be a decent striker for us, but it was an awful miss.

But by shielding the ball in the corner at that point, just how much benefit do you genuinely think that would have brought us? I can't remember exactly, but were we not a good 10 minutes from the end of the game at that point? In which case, I really don't think trying to hold possession in that corner would have done us as much good as a fourth goal, so why not go for it?

9 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

...but were we not a good 10 minutes from the end of the game at that point? In which case, I really don't think trying to hold possession in that corner would have done us as much good as a fourth goal, so why not go for it?

The second attempt was later but can't have been with long to go as Vydra didn't get much more than 10 minutes. Its about seeing the game out, those extra 30 seconds might have been the difference between us conceding a late goal or not.

But anyway as I said I'm sure he'll be a decent striker for us.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 17:14, Ramarena said:

Interesting theory and I hope your right, there's a very good player in Vydra, we just need to work on him and fit him into our system, be that in the lone striker role or in the wider roles. 

We get obsessed with Martin (with good reason) on here and lose sight of the fact that Bamford played a big role in our Wembley season and he was a completely different player to Martin, Bent and Vydra. 

What's Patrick Bamford doing these days? After all, considering Mac's return we are obviously in the season of forgiveness, and Bamford could be forgiven his misdemeanour due to naïve youthfulness.  

1 hour ago, europia said:

What's Patrick Bamford doing these days? After all, considering Mac's return we are obviously in the season of forgiveness, and Bamford could be forgiven his misdemeanour due to naïve youthfulness.  

He's warming Burnley's bench at present.

Good thinking, could well be. Could also be as simple as MV look exhausted and when Mac rested him Bent was playing well.

Either way I remember when Thorne 1st arrived and I remember noticing how he spent a lot of his bench time chatting to the coaches and wondered if it was about how he'd play that role...then on sat I spotted MV on the bench deep in conversation with Kev Phillips...coincidence? Probably 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6 November 2016 at 20:23, sage said:

I think we ought to hold fire with our effusive pronouncements a little as Wolves in the first half was one of the worst defensive displays i have ever seen at this level and we scored twice.

Didn't hold a line, didn't press the ball, didn't follow runners. Whilst we looked good I think we need to play an half decent team to measure our progress.

Sorry to be a killjoy. 

May I remind of ours in the last 15 minutes against Rotherham last season? And in the last game of the season before last which knocked us out of the playoffs? And even ours against Burton at the Pirelli?

Archived