Is Mac trying to do a Thorne on Vydra?

Duracell

A lot of fans forget that there was a gap between George Thorne joining the club and the start of the huge impact he made which took us to the next level, three years ago.

For his first few games, McClaren parked Thorne on the bench and instead played the more experience Eustace. Thorne had a chance to observe his team-mate and understand what was expected of the CDM in the system, and his time in the dugout inevitably made him even more keen to impress when he got his chance - which only came about due to Eustace earning a suspension.

Without Martin or a striker of his mould in the squad, our system has to adapt to Bent or Vydra, who aren't totally dissimilar players. I was just wondering aloud whether Schteve is trying to frustrate and educate Vydra a bit by picking Bent instead of him,like Eustace over Thorne?

A lot of fans have been saying that Vydra's making the right runs, it'ss just that our players aren't spotting them. However Bent's performance today suggests our midfielders and wingers have no problem spotting a good run when they see it. Maybe Vydra needs to learn a bit more about his team-mates, and that comes from working on the training ground and watching Bent have a go first?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting theory and I hope your right, there's a very good player in Vydra, we just need to work on him and fit him into our system, be that in the lone striker role or in the wider roles. 

We get obsessed with Martin (with good reason) on here and lose sight of the fact that Bamford played a big role in our Wembley season and he was a completely different player to Martin, Bent and Vydra. 

I think the lack of minutes he's had under McClaren these last two games is a bit of a coincidence too, the same goes for some other attacking players. 

He was about to bring on Vydra (and Anya) just as we scored our second against Wednesday and he could hardly haul Bent off early today after the goal he scored. It's definitely not a case of McClaren not rating Vydra imo, I'd agree with the idea that he's being taught a role and having to sit back and learn from some of the players who know what he wants.

Think this applies to Anya and hopefully Weimann, who I'm a big fan of, who are sitting on the bench watching Russell play the position they'll be competing for.

14 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Vydz looked great when he came on and will only look sharper the more he plays. 

Vydz missed an absolute sitter that would have put the game to bed. Plus imho he shouldn't have had his other 'optimistic' second shot, but held possession of the ball - seemed more interested in proving a point?

48 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We get obsessed with Martin (with good reason) on here and lose sight of the fact that Bamford played a big role in our Wembley season and he was a completely different player to Martin, Bent and Vydra. 

Bamford never played through the middle though - he mostly got stuck out wide, where he scored plenty, but did nothing else, leaving us very unbalanced.  I wouldn't be surprised if Vydra ends up like this, as I don't see how he can play a lone striker in this kind of system.  We are massively overstocked with wingers at the moment though, so he's got a lot of competition.

Never thought of it like that. I'd like to think it is that rather than Vydra not impressing in training. You could argue that it's the same with Anya too. I think we are quite fortunate to have strength in depth in certain areas. People including myself complained about the lack of quality in wide areas but on paper Russell,Ince,Anya,Weimann and Camara looks very good. I'm sure the majority of the league would love to have options like that. In fact, I would argue that only Newcastle have better options in wide areas than us in the league. Of course they could all be a better in certain areas but there's a reason why the players are playing in the championship. Looking forward to the rest of the season and the prospect of not having to rush Thorne back this time

It was almost 2 months wasn't it, from Thorne signing to actually appearing?

I still remember the thread 'Will George Thorne please return to barracks', once Eustace picked up his ban.

As @McLovin says, no need to rush him back while Bradley is doing such a fine  job in his role.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Vydz missed an absolute sitter that would have put the game to bed. Plus imho he shouldn't have had his other 'optimistic' second shot, but held possession of the ball - seemed more interested in proving a point?

Not a sitter and a fantastic save - very well taken shot. 

4 hours ago, Duracell said:

A lot of fans have been saying that Vydra's making the right runs, it'ss just that our players aren't spotting them. However Bent's performance today suggests our midfielders and wingers have no problem spotting a good run when they see it. Maybe Vydra needs to learn a bit more about his team-mates, and that comes from working on the training ground and watching Bent have a go first?

Today was the first match in ages were i saw a midfield player trying to play the through ball early.

Johnson, Hughes Russell Butterfield all had a go at trying to feed bent. Long may it continue even if they have had to work on it a lot in training.

I just think it is a case that our whole system needs that central forward on the tip of the diamond who does many aspects I don't think bent is the best at it by any stretch but he is experienced enough to be helping, Vydra is a powerful substitute if motivated from the bench and could score a lot of goals from there currently 

11 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Today was the first match in ages were i saw a midfield player trying to play the through ball early.

Johnson, Hughes Russell Butterfield all had a go at trying to feed bent. Long may it continue even if they have had to work on it a lot in training.

What was so refreshing was the flexibility of the midfield three. Sometimes Hughes was at the back, sometimes Butters, sometimes Johnson. Wolves were chasing shadows.

I think we ought to hold fire with our effusive pronouncements a little as Wolves in the first half was one of the worst defensive displays i have ever seen at this level and we scored twice.

Didn't hold a line, didn't press the ball, didn't follow runners. Whilst we looked good I think we need to play an half decent team to measure our progress.

Sorry to be a killjoy. 

13 hours ago, sage said:

I think we ought to hold fire with our effusive pronouncements a little as Wolves in the first half was one of the worst defensive displays i have ever seen at this level and we scored twice.

Didn't hold a line, didn't press the ball, didn't follow runners. Whilst we looked good I think we need to play an half decent team to measure our progress.

Sorry to be a killjoy. 

I see your point but in fairness our four games previous to this were against top 10 sides and we managed a very respectable 7 points from the four games. 

Archived