Poppy banned for England vs Scotland

StringerBell

2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

FIFA, once you get your corrupted house in order, then you can start calling the shots, so whilst you are getting on with that, please leave alone what is a remebrance of the people who gave their lives so that people like you can operate in a free europe, in your ******* ivory tower ripping the guts and cash out of football from all the backhand bribes...opps presents you take and countries like Qatar, where workers are dying building the ******* stadium, sort that **** out first, you bunch of sanctimonious, fat, corrupt cockwombling gobblers, FOAD...NOW.

Merry ******* Christmas...

You ok hun?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ossieram said:

Why have England been hit for £20,000 more than the others? Scotland had no control over what happened at Wembley regarding what was on the screen or anything other than what their players wore and I assume that is why they get a lesser punishment. But Northern Ireland and Wales were both playing at home.

England had poppies on their shirts. Wales only allowed fans to wear poppies. Neither are political symbols. Republic of Ireland  wore a political slogan on their shirts and got only a small fine, and even then only months after the event. 

So so who is being political now? FIFA of course. 

Where does the fine go? To keeping the FIFA museum afloat, paying Tim Roth's salary for the movie, or into the back pocket of a corrupt FIFA beaurocrat? 

I don't mind the fact that they've come up with this fine so much  they had to take some sort of action. They said they would,  so they would appear completely toothless if they didn't do anything.

But I'd take the fine amount, and pay the exact amount to the British legion, and tell FIFA to **** off. And if they can find a single individual in the world who supports the fact that it should go to them over the British legion, then good luck to them.

I would hope that would satisfy FIFA that the fine has been paid and gone to a good cause. Or, if I was FIFA I'd make it explicit that the fine, once paid to them, will go directly to some relevant charity (even if it's not the legion, some similar worldwide organisation or something) - but then who would trust them to actually do that?

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Where does the fine go? To keeping the FIFA museum afloat, paying Tim Roth's salary for the movie, or into the back pocket of a corrupt FIFA beaurocrat? 

I don't mind the fact that they've come up with this fine so much  they had to take some sort of action. They said they would,  so they would appear completely toothless if they didn't do anything.

But I'd take the fine amount, and pay the exact amount to the British legion, and tell FIFA to **** off. And if they can find a single individual in the world who supports the fact that it should go to them over the British legion, then good luck to them.

I would hope that would satisfy FIFA that the fine has been paid and gone to a good cause. Or, if I was FIFA I'd make it explicit that the fine, once paid to them, will go directly to some relevant charity (even if it's not the legion, some similar worldwide organisation or something) - but then who would trust them to actually do that?

They would make the charities bid for the donation in sealed envelopes and choose the one that bungs them the most.

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

£35,000 is not a huge sum in the scheme of things but it will keep on recurring cos there's no way the fA would not let people pay their respects on Remembrance Day each year, assuming there's an international around that time. 

• 9 months later...

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To my Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his soldiers and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills just got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgement of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

7 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Right Decision. Finally.

Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). Men of the Sherwood Foresters advancing on the Western Front, 1917

102954_slice.jpg?itok=oKcSCd12

The same regiment that fought on the streets of Dublin in 1916. 

Decent, brave men, that shouldn't have been put in harms way in either of those conflicts in my view. 

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

The same regiment that fought on the streets of Dublin in 1916. 

Decent, brave men, that shouldn't have been put in harms way in either of those conflicts in my view. 

Having sat in the Public Records office on a few occasions looking through original documents from those times it is difficult not to agree. However, I take the view that it is 'just the way it was'. Different times, different values. 

Archived