Poppy banned for England vs Scotland

StringerBell

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Anon said:

That's not how a military works. It's not a co-operative. Our troops aren't polled on what conflicts we should enter into. Soldiers posted to Ireland served with the same distinction and those in the world wars and deserve the same level of respect and compassion.

I suppose from McCleans point of view its difficult to wear a symbol of remembrance for soldiers who killed his fellow countrymen in Derry.

I suggest that in the same circumstances, most of us would take the same stance.

It shouldn't be an issue. If it became compulsory to wear a poppy i would refuse to wear one.

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I suppose from McCleans point of view its difficult to wear a symbol of remembrance for soldiers who killed his fellow countrymen in Derry.

I suggest that in the same circumstances, most of us would take the same stance.

It shouldn't be an issue. If it became compulsory to wear a poppy i would refuse to wear one.

I agree on that point, I don't agree when he turns his back when the anthem is played. If you feel that strongly don't play in a country you hate. 

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yet it's not difficult to work in that country and pay taxes which will go towards their armed forces?

Think the guy is very confused.

7 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I agree on that point, I don't agree when he turns his back when the anthem is played. If you feel that strongly don't play in a country you hate. 

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yet it's not difficult to work in that country and pay taxes which will go towards their armed forces?

Think the guy is very confused.

Good points and is probably a separate debate than not wearing a poppy.

For me the poppy is far bigger than FIFA or any organisation can impact. Wearing it is, and should be, a very personal thing. I'm more than happy for any organisation to stop all symbols being worn - I wear my poppy for my personal reasons in my personal time. And every time I hear a newsreader or public figure being criticised  (yesterday I saw a post on Facebook criticising Sharon Osborne for wearing it on the wrong side ffs) I just feel people are using it for their own agenda.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

I think that was the FA's fault as FIFA missed it and the FA asked why it was ok for that if the poppy wasnt.

It was more the being a friendly in 2011 and a qualifier for England, when RoI's game was a friendly as well.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

It was more the being a friendly in 2011 and a qualifier for England, when RoI's game was a friendly as well.

it shouldnt really make any difference friendly or not.

I think sometimes its people at FIFA justifying their position. I bet if you polled all the other FIFA members not one of them would care if we had it on or not.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

it shouldnt really make any difference friendly or not.

I think sometimes its people at FIFA justifying their position. I bet if you polled all the other FIFA members not one of them would care if we had it on or not.

I agree. Think the whole situation is a bit of a farce tbh. I also think if there wasn't such a big fuss over the whole situation nothing would have been said or done (like with RoI before it was brought to FIFA's attention)

This is getting a little ridiculous now from FIFA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38024262

Fifa's disciplinary committee is believed to be examining the build-up to England's World Cup qualifying game against Scotland at Wembley.

The display of poppies on big screens, the minute silence, playing the Last Post and handing poppy t-shirts to the crowd could now be assessed.

Both Football Associations have been charged for wearing poppies in the match on Armistice Day on 11 November.

Fifa rules forbid "political" statements on shirts.

While these acts in the build-up to a game are not expressly prohibited, Fifa has strict rules on pre-match logistics and timings for World Cup qualifiers.

Permission must be sought from Fifa for any additional pre-match activity.

The booing by supporters during the national anthems and items thrown onto the pitch, allegedly from the section where Scotland fans were sat, is also understood to be under review.

A Fifa spokesperson said: "We can confirm that the disciplinary committee has opened proceedings on this matter. Please understand we cannot comment further at this stage nor speculate on any outcome or provide an estimated timeline."

39 minutes ago, rynny said:

I agree. Think the whole situation is a bit of a farce tbh. I also think if there wasn't such a big fuss over the whole situation nothing would have been said or done (like with RoI before it was brought to FIFA's attention)

its a bit like councils, or schools or whatever deciding christmas decorations shouldnt be put up incase it offends non christian people, when if you asked those non christians if they were bothered 99% would probably say no.

Do i get bothered by diwali lights? not at all, i quite like them.

Its just do gooders justifying salaries so they dont have to go out and get a proper job.

Archived