Poppy banned for England vs Scotland

StringerBell

Just now, JaguarRam said:

Not to allow players to wear poppies is the most disgusting decision I have ever witnessed in football and puts me off the sport entirely. 

The world would be a different place without those who gave their lives so we could live in our lives in freedom.

I am appalled and disgusted. F@ck FIFA. 

Sense of perspective required. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...... I was expecting the annual James McClean thread to take off around now.

Regarding the Poppy in general, it is a sad state of affairs that this symbol has been politicised so greatly by all sides. 

Hijacked by some...... shaming by others.....

Take a look at yourselves guys and gals. 

Let them Rest In Peace.

Pretty sad 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Well...... I was expecting the annual James McClean thread to take off around now.

Regarding the Poppy in general, it is a sad state of affairs that this symbol has been politicised so greatly by all sides. 

Hijacked by some...... shaming by others.....

Take a look at yourselves guys and gals. 

Let them Rest In Peace.

Pretty sad 

I think you will find that that is exactly what the majority on here want to do. As far as I am aware there is just one with an Irish background, one who is just posting nonsense for effect and another who writes anything to create an argument. Other than that, I guess that the others recognise the poppy for what it is intended to represent; remembrance and hope for the future.

2 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I think you will find that that is exactly what the majority on here want to do. As far as I am aware there is just one with an Irish background, one who is just posting nonsense for effect and another who writes anything to create an argument. Other than that, I guess that the others recognise the poppy for what it is intended to represent; remembrance and hope for the future.

excuse me?

4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Fair enough. But it if it not a religious symbol, why are religious services lead by ordained church people and including prayers at the heart of remembrance commemorations? Why are those services held on Sundays, rather than on 11th November itself?

I don't think even Fifa claim that the poppy is a religious symbol. I think they allege its a political symbol. It's no more a political symbol than the three lions , probably less so. And I don't think anyone should take moral lessons from Fifa. 

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I don't think even Fifa claim that the poppy is a religious symbol. I think they allege its a political symbol. It's no more a political symbol than the three lions , probably less so. And I don't think anyone should take moral lessons from Fifa

Indeed not.

However, in my opinion, as long as things like this happen, the poppy will be a political symbol:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/02/poppy-photoshopped-david-cameron-facebook-picture

http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/26467

To be seen wearing a poppy is not as important as the contribution to the cause it stands for. I would rather the FA make more if a fuss donating the money to charity then making a fuss of printing it on a shirt.

49 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Indeed not.

However, in my opinion, as long as things like this happen, the poppy will be a political symbol:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/02/poppy-photoshopped-david-cameron-facebook-picture

http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/26467

So because a politican does or does not wear a poppy it becomes a political symbol? So if a politican kisses a baby we should stop having babies because they are political symbols? 

If a politician , or more likely their PR gurus, seeks to portray them as more caring because they wear a poppy or because they are kissing babies or whatever I don't think that in any way detracts from the simple acts of remembrance for the departed or of love of babies that any decent person would relate to. 

On the sixth of June 1944 my dad was part of the D Day landings at Sword Beach near Ouistreham Normandy, over 600 soldiers died at Sword Beach.  Many years later I would accompany him down to St Mary's Church where he would lay the rememberance wreath at the war memorial on Chaddesden Lane with a tear in his eye.

I don't think my dad ever thought he was "poppy virtue signalling" or making any kind of "political" statement, for him it was his way of remembering those poor souls that he saw perish on that beach.

On Sunday I'll be driving up to Notts Road cemetery to lay a poppy at his grave.  I don't need a poppy to remember the times when he bought me my first pair of football boots or my first black and white scarf or walk me round to the boys corner at the Baseball Ground or that he thought that Clough was a big mouthed waster that would never "do owt" at Derby, no, I'll be laying a poppy at his grave to remember those soldiers who lost their lives on that beach and the families and young lads who would never have the opportunity to have the great memories with their dads that  I had with mine.

Is a national flag not a political symbol?

Is the national anthem not a political signal?

Is a black armband in reference to the death of the king of thailand not a political symbol?

Its a sign of the times and the changing values that this debate can even exist.

One rule for one....

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/football-poppy-row-fifa-accused-of-double-standards-1-7659364

Football poppy row: Fifa accused of double standards

15:10 Wednesday 02 November 2016

The Republic of Ireland Easter Rising commemorative shirt which was worn during two friendlies in March

Republic of Ireland shirts commemorating the anniversary of the Easter Rising have been used as an example of Fifa’s double standards when it comes to what is and is not allowed on international football shirts.

Ahead of key games for British sides on November 11, world football’s ruling body has banned poppies from being displayed on players’ shirts. 

According to Fifa, teams may not display political, religious or commercial symbols on their kit. However, back in March the Republic of Ireland wore shirts with special embroidery to mark the Easter Rising during two friendlies.

Damian Collins, chairman of the Commons Sports Committee, raised the issue of Fifa’s double standards.

He told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: “I hope common sense prevails. Fifa has strict rules banning political, religious or commercial symbols from shirts. I think it is insulting to people in this country to say a poppy is one of those sort of symbols.

“Someone has shared with me on social media an Ireland football shirt that has a special embroidery on marking the centenary of the Easter Rising.

“Fifa allow that, so I think people will find it astonishing that the poppy’s not allowed.”

Some have suggested the Republic of Ireland were allowed to wear the shirts as both matches were friendlies, however Fifa were not able to shed any light on the situation.

When asked by the News Letter as to why the exception was made for the Republic of Ireland’s Easter Rising shirts, football’s ruling body responded by stating “that the players’ equipment should not carry any political, religious or commercial messages”.

They said the laws are applied “uniformly in the event of similar requests by any member association to commemorate similar historical events”.

Fifa did not provide an answer to the News Letter’s specific question about the contentious shirts adding they would be making no further comment at this stage. 

The Irish Football Association have been in talks with Fifa to seek direction on how Northern Ireland can mark the occasion when they meet Azerbaijan in their World Cup qualifier on November 11.

An IFA spokesman said: “There will be an act of remembrance at the game on Armistice Day. We wrote to Fifa last week and are currently waiting their response as to what we are permitted to do under their game protocols.”

Meanwhile, England and Scotland meet at Wembley on Armistice Day, and the respective FAs have been in talks with Fifa about repeating an agreement reached in 2011 when specially created armbands were worn.

Theresa May has weighed into the argument, launching an attack on the footballing body as she defended the players’ rights.

She told MPs at Prime Minister’s Questions: “I think the stance that has been taken by Fifa is utterly outrageous.

“Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security. I think it is absolutely right that they should be able to do so.”

In a message to world football’s governing body, which has been plagued by corruption allegations, she said: “Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out.”

For those who appear to be unsure

this is not a religious symbol it is a simple way to pay respects to those who gave their lives, wearing it is a choice !

Poppy-1.jpg

and these are religious symbols that have caused more war and blood shed over the past five thousand years than any poppy will ever do !

religious-symbols_2.png

I am not a badge of honour,
I am not a racist smear,
I am not a fashion statement,
To be worn but once a year,
I am not glorification...
Of conflict or of war.
I am not a paper ornament
A token,
I am more.
I am a loving memory,
Of a father or a son,
A permanent reminder
Of each and every one.
I'm paper or enamel
I'm old or shining new,
I'm a way of saying thank you,
To every one of you.
I am a simple poppy
A Reminder to you all,
That courage faith and honour,
Will stand where heroes fall

It should be down to the individual players to decide if they want a poppy on their shirt - that was one of the reasons so many people fought and died in the wars - to give us the freedom to choose. The FA should have told FIFA to **** ***.

If someone wants to wear it then respect their decision.

If they don't, then respect that decision also and don't be offended.

“Woe betide the leaders now perched on their dizzy pinnacles of triumph if they cast away at the conference table what the soldiers had won on a hundred blood-soaked battlefields.” -  Winston Churchill

The British Legion do great work with veterans of all ages and walks of life (including myself at one point). If people wan't to support that then great, if not then that is also fine.

If you try and pressure anyone from any walk of life to wear one via media campaigns or peer pressure then you betray the entire reason the poppy exists as a symbol in the first place.

Archived