Poppy banned for England vs Scotland

StringerBell

Poppy banned for the England vs Scotland game due to it apparently being a political statement. I think it's fair enough tbh to allow individual players to wear a white one or not wear one at all regardless of what I personally think about that. But for FIFA to not allow anyone to wear one? Even if it is for non political reasons? And something that is a cultural norm in both nations that are playing? Ridiculous.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-vs-scotland-poppy-banned-fa-fifa-a7390351.html

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

symbolism... I'm not too fussed about it. 

Football has spent the last 20 years distancing itself from the people, let it continue. There are plenty of ways of showing your respect without an embroidered poppy on a shirt for 90 minutes.

I'm actually more concerned by the ruling than the poppy itself tbh. Like I said, I don't think any player should be made to wear it but I think it's equally outrageous for FIFA to command no player to wear it.

I can't say I'm too fussed about poppies on shirts. A minute's silence is an appropriate way to show respect. The poppy is a political statement since it's in remembrance of British and colonial servicemen/women killed rather than remembrance of war dead in general. Everyone in the stadium is free to wear a poppy, the players are free to wear poppies on their suits before and afterwards, just not in the game. No big deal.

I do find it a bit odd that FIFA gets a bee in it's bonnet about charity symbols being "political" when they happily legitimise contested regions as independent nations as and when they see fit.

If the Poppy was a symbol glorifying war or British involvement in wars then I would understand that it was seen as a political statement. Or, even if the red colour was to symbolise the colour of blood.

However, the colour is simply the colour of the poppies in Flanders and according to the British Legion, the poppy is seen as a symbol of remembrance and hope for the future, and that is where the proceeds go to. I don't see it as a political symbol at all. I don't particularly care if people don't want to wear it but do not like to see it disrespected. It is a total nonsense the FIFA want to ban it for the England v Scotland game, particularly as players from a complete rainbow of nations wear it in the British domestic leagues.

Footballers seem to spend their entire lives preening on social media so I'm sure there are ample opportunities for them to be seen wearing one when out and about if they are that bothered.

Leave politics and ridiculous hollow t-shirt slogans out of football please, although I also, like bcnram don't see the poppy as a political symbol.

I just think that nowadays you can't do, wear or say anything without risking offending some people so why go against the grain?

24 minutes ago, bcnram said:

If the Poppy was a symbol glorifying war or British involvement in wars then I would understand that it was seen as a political statement. Or, even if the red colour was to symbolise the colour of blood.

However, the colour is simply the colour of the poppies in Flanders and according to the British Legion, the poppy is seen as a symbol of remembrance and hope for the future, and that is where the proceeds go to. I don't see it as a political symbol at all. I don't particularly care if people don't want to wear it but do not like to see it disrespected. It is a total nonsense the FIFA want to ban it for the England v Scotland game, particularly as players from a complete rainbow of nations wear it in the British domestic leagues.

You only have to look at forums such as this to see that the poppy is more than a symbol of remembrance. It's a symbol used to abuse those that don't wear them. 

See also the front page of today's Sun.

If the FA are that bothered they could get around it very easily.

A one off special edition kit similar to Alfreton Town's kit.

11245827-large.jpg

They could even enlarge the badge to cover the whole shirt

860px-England_crest_2009.svg.png

No rules or regulations to stop them from doing either.

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You only have to look at forums such as this to see that the poppy is more than a symbol of remembrance. It's a symbol used to abuse those that don't wear them. 

To be fair, a good proportion of the people who post on here were not blessed with the best brains. The poppy as a symbol is what those who provide it say it is. I will wear one and so will millions of others. I don't care that others don't and neither does anyone have a need to abuse them.

It is not a religious symbol, it is not a political symbol. It is a symbol of remembrance and hope because that is what the British Legion say it is.

6 minutes ago, bcnram said:

It is not a religious symbol, it is not a political symbol. It is a symbol of remembrance and hope because that is what the British Legion say it is.

The money raised goes to ex servicemen/women and their families, thereby at the very least tacitly supporting the British military, thereby making the symbol political.

27 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It may well mean different things to different people and that is fine in all honesty. But it is a symbol of rememberance as far as footballers wearing them goes.

What if Pepe the frog wore a poppy? He would literally be Hitler.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

The money raised goes to ex servicemen/women and their families, thereby at the very least tacitly supporting the British military, thereby making the symbol political.

Who cares? Are footballers tax exempt? We all fund the actual military but what is essentially a charity to look after our own is political?

No pink kits for breast cancer? 

2 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Who cares? Are footballers tax exempt? We all fund the actual military but what is essentially a charity to look after our own is political?

No pink kits for breast cancer? 

Speaking exclusively about international fixtures, yes, a charity to look after your own servicemen and women is political. Imagine FIFA's dilemma when Serbia next have to play Bosnia and both sides want to include the symbol of a charity that supports people the opposition would regard as war criminals.

Domestically I don't really see any reason to stop having poppies on shirts other than I intensely dislike that it affords the oxygen of publicity to aggressive, self aggrandising, needlessly confrontational ****** from either side of the debate.

1 minute ago, McRamFan said:

Fifa don't get any revenue from it, therefore banned...

Anyway it has been allowed before on a black armband.

This is one of those arguments where I can see both sides, and I think the previous poppy armband arrangements are a perfectly suitable solution. I think the FIFA stance is if you start making any exception, all sorts of other cases will come and you've set a precedence. 

I don't have a problem with the poppy or the royal British legion, and I wholeheartedly agree it is important to remember. Lest we forget. Lest we forget the sacrifice made, the lives lost, the pain, horror and stupidity of war. A big part of Lest We Forget, was so we don't do anything so bloody stupid ever again. 

Although I've found some of the recent shifting of the way rememberence is presented a bit uncomfortable. (its not about being patriotic, heroes, British flag waving, and it's in no way disrespectful to not agree with it for whatever reason, as long as you understand and respect why others feel its important). 

24 minutes ago, bcnram said:

To be fair, a good proportion of the people who post on here were not blessed with the best brains. The poppy as a symbol is what those who provide it say it is. I will wear one and so will millions of others. I don't care that others don't and neither does anyone have a need to abuse them.

Fair enough. But it if it not a religious symbol, why are religious services lead by ordained church people and including prayers at the heart of remembrance commemorations? Why are those services held on Sundays, rather than on 11th November itself?

15 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

It may well mean different things to different people and that is fine in all honesty. But it is a symbol of rememberance as far as footballers wearing them goes.

What if Pepe the frog wore a poppy? He would literally be Hitler.

Footballers can wear them at any other time. The filth hurled at players who don't wear them will tell you that players are not exactly 'free' to make that choice.

Archived