In praise of Cyrus Christie

KBB

Even in this 'great game" he had v Wednesday he still made 2 glaring errors in the last 15 minutes which could and maybe should have led to goals.

He isnt good enough defensively and having one great game in ten going forwards doesn't disguise that.

I would be happy with him being second choice/impact player from the bench but not week in week out.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Christie and feel he will end up as a good player at this level. Not great but good. His main problem is lack of footballing brain. The amount of last ditch challenges look good on the day, but when analysed, are only needed due to poor positioning in the first place. He would be best used in a 3/5/2 system ( wide in the 5) where there is plenty of cover for positional lapses. But that's not how we play, so I'm happy to stick with him in the 4, and just need to put up with the occasional howler. 

He looked gutted when he came off, fair play to him for having the heart to try to play on, clearly shown some desire but was clearly injured & silly to let him start the second half

I Felt we got it wrong putting hanson at RB & in hindsight we'd have been better bringing shackell on an putting keogh at RB or just trying Anya there

Like i said in another thread fair play to hanson. Im not going to slag him off for having a go at playing RB. He is a you g lad & was willing to have a go at the position mac asked him to play. He's a ram through and through & he'd have probably played in net if we asked him and thats commendable. He just isnt a RB and he was terrible there but cant fault him for having a go under the circumstances  

I'm sure Hanson has played RB before for us last season?

I think losing Christie played a part in the second half, although given wolves came on strong we have spent this thread on how his defending was exposed, or, if Baird had come on, how many years past it Baird is.

I like Christie and I think he'll do better in a Mac side than a Clement or Pearson one. I don't think he's ever going to very secure as defenders go in the division, but if he keeps driving the opposition left wingers back and being the width for Ince to cut in, he'll contribute a fair bit.

If you don't want sphincter loosening defending, it's going to be Baird.

I would regard getting another right back in as a January priority, Hanson and Baird not really sufficient. 

What's the worse case scenario for an ankle injury? Most likely ligaments as he rolled it pretty badly. That's about 6 weeks isn't it? We can knock 2 weeks off from the international break but we'd still lose him for the busy Christmas period.

21 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Does anyone who watches the u-23's think Santos or Stabana could make the step up? I'm sure I heard someone saying they thought Stabana was an even better prospect than Lowe.

Not ideal having two young full backs. Could we put keogh there and play shackell. 

Archived