Dentistry.

Rev

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I went years without a dentist, but being a heavy coke user (the drink, not the drug), one of my teeth started crumbling from the back. It took about 15 years to crumble to the point of it being just a front, and a massive cavity behind it, then the gum started trying to grow into the cavity and this caused a lot of bleeding, so I eventually went to a dentist.

I was never scared of the dentist, I think the reason I went so long without going is that my original dentist in Derby (Mill Hill lane) just closed and I was never given another dentist.

Anyway, my new NHS assigned dentist offered me either root canal or removal, I chose removal. When I went to have it done, the tooth was far stronger rooted than she thought and she snapped it at the gum line. So I had a stump of a tooth. She then said she couldn't repair/finish the job as she needed more equipment and referred me to the NHS trust, which at that point was moving from DRI to the new Royal Derby hospital. They responded saying they don't offer that treatment any longer and go back to my dentist.

I eventually threatened to sue for malpractice or something as my newly broken tooth was filling my throat with blood a few times a day. Ended up being referred to an American dentist at the top of Normanton Road. When I went there, he wasn't there and volcanic ash cloud had prevented him returning to England.

Eventually he prised it out using a mallet and chisel!

Jesus Mostyn. Sounds like a halloween horror story that! ?

My dentist is in Matlock and if David is willing to travel they are still taking NHS and are excellent. I live out of the area and it was the only place I could get in and sort of just kept using them now.

They even allowed my mum as a new patient before she moved down to Derbyshire from North Yorkshire as up there she had no chance. There's nothing other than some back street dump in Selby.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do trust my dentist, she's been ok over the last decade I've been with her, but my only option on the NHS is extraction.

This has to be done at hospital as I have a blood clotting disorder that means she is unable to do it herself, in case I bleed to death!

I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the private option, it's expensive but when it gets painful £800 seems like a bargain to get rid of the pain.

9 hours ago, David said:

Not sure what it's like in Derby but it's taken 2 months up here to get a new dentist. Last one was crap, gave me a denture to go on top of a broken tooth, was really uncomfortable and stuck out crazy. 

Called them back out and had to pay for another denture and the tooth to be pulled. £300 a time not cheap.

Had to go on a waiting list at one dentist, all others were not taking new patients on, was just as hard getting a doctors.

I understand they don't wasn't to overfill a surgery so it takes weeks for an appointment but the dentist I was getting refused from just offered a bloke a choice of several appointment slots throughout the week, I'm stood there without a tooth and no room at the inn.

Frustrating as hell, might be a small town issue

I smell something fishy.. Where do you live?

On 30/10/2016 at 13:29, David said:

Tell you what having a tooth pulled is quick, painless and cheap. It's the denture to fill the gap that's costly and a lengthy uncomfortable process to remove when swallowed.

Heard of so many root canals go wrong and end up with double treatment, costly both times, would definitely have it pulled if I needed one. 

Dont trust the NHS at all anymore, pulling a tooth even for them would be hard to **** up

I totally concur I cracked a filling and started to have root canal work it was the most painful experience of my life. I told the dentist to stop and asked just to have the tooth pulled out I hardly felt a thing other than the tooth being tugged on. As the tooth was at the back of my mouth and also because I'm an ugly mug I wasn't too worried about adversely affecting my appearance.  

2 hours ago, footc said:

A few years ago I had a couple of abscesses at the front of my mouth which meant removal of teeth.

Instead of a denture which I most certainly didn't want I had a couple of implants. Needed a mortgage to pay for same.

This morning, went to dentist and am now being told that implants can cause big problems with gum disease, jaw bone erosion and needs hygienist attention at least every 4 months.

Typical, they get you to spend shed loads before telling you the downsides!!! Bah. 

Ive just enquired at my NHS dentist about a plate or bridge or something.  He told me an NHS plate would be crap, ruin the teeth that it would be latched on to and if I wanted, he'd refer me to someone to have some implants - oh, ok I said, how much are they? Oh about two and a half to three grand each........ I would probably need three. :o. He has informed me before that I have a bit of bone erosion on one side of my jaw, so what you've just said, doesn't fill me with much hope that the implant is the way to go.  Besides the fact I would probably have to sell my car. 

Talking of abscesses, I had one in a lower tooth, my dentist (not the one I go to now), faffed about with abtibiotics for a week or two until I was banging my head against the wall one night, went to another dentist next day who sent me straight to the hospital and I spent two days with a straw poking out my neck to drain it and a drip as I was dehydrated.  I couldn't open my mouth never mind eat or drink.  I then had to slowly reopen my jaw by putting tongue depressers in my mouth (not sideways) until I eventually got to about ten - it took days.  Funny for everyone else but jesus - I thought I'd broken my jaw at one point. 

2-3k???? Jesus, wanted an implant myself, guess that's out the question ?

Looks like a bridge then but I bet those are not cheap either and I read they don't last long.

Can't bare the thought of having another denture, awful things

9 minutes ago, David said:

2-3k???? Jesus, wanted an implant myself, guess that's out the question ?

Looks like a bridge then but I bet those are not cheap either and I read they don't last long.

Can't bare the thought of having another denture, awful things

me too, shall we both have a boob job and we can compare?

boobs1.jpg

The missus had some implants done (v costly) but she also had severe erosion of the bone. The bone can actually be built up (not too sure how they do it, but they do.) She has a return visit once a year and so far all is good, but the dental hygiene has to be spot on.

I have a deep fear of anybody except myself placing metal objects into my mouth [Dustin Hoffman film years ago]  - so I decide I would do my own dentistry approx. 6 years ago I do fillings, and a bit of polishing etc.

I purchased various item from a dentist wholesaler and have done 3 fillings so far, it does take time and there is a knack to looking through mirror and doing everything opposite to what your brain thinks I should be doing.

The wife thinks I am odd and the look of horror on her face when I get to work on my teeth.:D

14 hours ago, toddy said:

I have a deep fear of anybody except myself placing metal objects into my mouth [Dustin Hoffman film years ago]  - so I decide I would do my own dentistry approx. 6 years ago I do fillings, and a bit of polishing etc.

I purchased various item from a dentist wholesaler and have done 3 fillings so far, it does take time and there is a knack to looking through mirror and doing everything opposite to what your brain thinks I should be doing.

The wife thinks I am odd and the look of horror on her face when I get to work on my teeth.:D

Come on, stop fibbing, tell the tooth!

15 hours ago, toddy said:

It's not just your wife that thinks your bloody odd toddy! :lol:;)

15 hours ago, toddy said:

That is weird. Please share more.

3 minutes ago, mozza said:

I tried to superglue a crown that came loose once , by heck , that deactivator stuff tastes foul , didn't work anyway, just stuck my lips to my tongue for a few days ..

don't try this at home, or anywhere for that matter

One for Mister Maker

Archived