Dentistry.

Rev

A few months back I had an abcess develop in a rear molar.

After 2 different courses of antibiotics, it settled down enough for my NHS dentist  to investigate properly without me punching her.

After poking, prodding and X ray's, she informed me I'd need microscopic root canal treatment and filling, but this wasn't available on the NHS and I'd need to be refered to a private practice, and gave me a temporary filling in the meantime.

Today I finally got around to booking the treatment, £110 for the initial 15 minute consultation, and a further  £690 for the treatment itself!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or am I being scammed?

£800 for a filling seems excessive.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have the bugger out , on the NHS

Going on past experience on root canal treatment I had both my canine teeth drained, within two years one of them disintegrated and had to come out, the other one ended up being crowned . The one upside is the nerve in the remaining canine is dead and can be worked on without anesthetic. Very expensive treatment, I'd have it out. I wish I'd looked after mine better in my younger years

Had the same old boy dentist for years  only ever had a couple of fillings ,new buck comes in ,

you need to have your back wisdom tooth out ,

why's that I ask, something wrong with it  ?

No but It might give you trouble later on 

Well when it/if does I will deal with it then

Got no faith in this one at all need to find someone I can trust wish me luck.

I

I ended up with  getting a Denplan at the recommendation of my dentist. My teeth aren't brilliant and have cost a pile over the years. It seems expensive at first look, but I reckon I've saved a fortune. I really trust my dentist. Not cheap but no rip off and sound advice. 

Agree with others. Have it out. I've had to have two extractions recently. I was offered root canal but in so much pain for weeks that I just thought once they're out that's it. They aren't in prominent positions in my mouth so not too difficult a decision but I know people who have had root canal which has failed over time and they had to have the teeth out anyway.

22 hours ago, reveldevil said:

After 2 different courses of antibiotics, it settled down enough for my NHS dentist  to investigate properly without me punching her.

After poking, prodding and X ray's, she informed me I'd need microscopic root canal treatment and filling, but this wasn't available on the NHS and I'd need to be refered to a private practice, and gave me a temporary filling in the meantime.

Today I finally got around to booking the treatment, £110 for the initial 15 minute consultation, and a further  £690 for the treatment itself!

Don't want to piss yout off but every time I go to the dentist they ask if the could swap Teath.  At the end of the day it's one tooth. get it taken out £100 max.

15 hours ago, Gritters said:

Don't want to piss yout off but every time I go to the dentist they ask if the could swap Teath.  At the end of the day it's one tooth. get it taken out £100 max.

It'll take more than that to remove daveos tooth. But he will need a proctologist not a dentist. 

Tell you what having a tooth pulled is quick, painless and cheap. It's the denture to fill the gap that's costly and a lengthy uncomfortable process to remove when swallowed.

Heard of so many root canals go wrong and end up with double treatment, costly both times, would definitely have it pulled if I needed one. 

Dont trust the NHS at all anymore, pulling a tooth even for them would be hard to **** up

On 29/10/2016 at 00:34, reveldevil said:

I haven't had the experience of being told something wasn't available. But I have paid similar money for similar treatment privately. Unable to get into an NHS one. Paid over a grand last year, over the course of a few weeks. One root canal, three root extractions, and a couple of normal fillings. Still need loads doing. Will get round to it once it all plays up again I guess! 

On 29/10/2016 at 00:34, reveldevil said:

You should come down this way Rev. For as little cost as a Martini and Soda you will find plenty of people prepared to fill your canal.

On 29 October 2016 at 00:34, reveldevil said:

I've had that. Cost half of what you are about to pay.

still i bet the dentist drives a great car.

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I've had that. Cost half of what you are about to pay.

still i bet the dentist drives a great car.

She can't do it at her surgery because she doesn't have the technology apparently, she did offer to have a go using conventional tools but didn't sound very convinced it'd be successful, which kind of put me off.

Did it turn out ok long term?

23 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

She can't do it at her surgery because she doesn't have the technology apparently, she did offer to have a go using conventional tools but didn't sound very convinced it'd be successful, which kind of put me off.

Did it turn out ok long term?

Yes no probs. No pain whatsoever. 

You need instant x rays, little mini drills, and fit young assistants in tight fitting white uniforms to take your mind off it.

You can get it done free if you get yourself pregnant :lol:

Joking aside - you are being taken for a mug. It's essentially not worth your dentists while to do the treatment and get paid the NHS rate for it - so some excuse and blather later and with a bit of luck you pay through the nose to have it done privately. Rob dogs!

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/your-dentist-visit.aspx

Lots of stuff on here -

Your dentist should not: suggest that NHS treatment is sub-standard

If your dentist says you need a particular type of treatment, you should not be asked to pay for it privately.

I'd tell them you're going to get a second opinion from another dentist (as per your rights) and then if that doesn't change their tune, start mentioning the official NHS complaints procedure..

Not sure what it's like in Derby but it's taken 2 months up here to get a new dentist. Last one was crap, gave me a denture to go on top of a broken tooth, was really uncomfortable and stuck out crazy. 

Called them back out and had to pay for another denture and the tooth to be pulled. £300 a time not cheap.

Had to go on a waiting list at one dentist, all others were not taking new patients on, was just as hard getting a doctors.

I understand they don't wasn't to overfill a surgery so it takes weeks for an appointment but the dentist I was getting refused from just offered a bloke a choice of several appointment slots throughout the week, I'm stood there without a tooth and no room at the inn.

Frustrating as hell, might be a small town issue

I went years without a dentist, but being a heavy coke user (the drink, not the drug), one of my teeth started crumbling from the back. It took about 15 years to crumble to the point of it being just a front, and a massive cavity behind it, then the gum started trying to grow into the cavity and this caused a lot of bleeding, so I eventually went to a dentist.

I was never scared of the dentist, I think the reason I went so long without going is that my original dentist in Derby (Mill Hill lane) just closed and I was never given another dentist.

Anyway, my new NHS assigned dentist offered me either root canal or removal, I chose removal. When I went to have it done, the tooth was far stronger rooted than she thought and she snapped it at the gum line. So I had a stump of a tooth. She then said she couldn't repair/finish the job as she needed more equipment and referred me to the NHS trust, which at that point was moving from DRI to the new Royal Derby hospital. They responded saying they don't offer that treatment any longer and go back to my dentist.

I eventually threatened to sue for malpractice or something as my newly broken tooth was filling my throat with blood a few times a day. Ended up being referred to an American dentist at the top of Normanton Road. When I went there, he wasn't there and volcanic ash cloud had prevented him returning to England.

Eventually he prised it out using a mallet and chisel!

Archived