80s music

Muskination

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2016 at 23:03, i-Ram said:

Just dipping in here, where l don't think Talk Talk are getting enough mention, and XTC too are worthy of a name call (although they perhaps were late 70's). In fact there are so many "80's" groups not mentioned so far who for a time gloriously caught the moment. ABC and Heaven 17 being good examples. Nothing wrong with the early 80's IMO but it did fizzle out as the decade went on. Perhaps though that feeling just came from getting married.

Agree with this, loads of early 80's groups were refreshing and exciting.

The Farmer's Boys anyone? and The The?

New Order. How could I have forgotten them?!

Been re-visitng their stuff over the last few days. Obviously love Blue Monday & True Faith but a couple of unsung gems: Fine Time & Vanishing Point deserve a mention.

Bernard Sumner was the shittest live singer of the decade, though.

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Ah he was OK if he'd not had a drink - but the worst? come on, have you ever seen the Stone Roses?!?

Lol no, I bet that was a treat.

I remember when house music started and at the same time, the BBC insisted on live performances on Top of the Pops. My god that was awful. Black Box & Altern8 were especially comical, from memory.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

New Order. How could I have forgotten them?!

Been re-visitng their stuff over the last few days. Obviously love Blue Monday & True Faith but a couple of unsung gems: Fine Time & Vanishing Point deserve a mention.

Bernard Sumner was the shittest live singer of the decade, though.

Always preferred 586 to Blue Monday.

Let's not forget Kraftwerks' Computer World and Numan's Telekon either. 1981 and 1980 I think.

On 31/10/2016 at 15:25, therealhantsram said:

'Poor' is arguable.

The 80s was an interesting time. There was a period from 82-86 when British acts ruled the world. Something not achieved before or since when all of the creativity came together in some unique way to create global hits like no other period in music.

It was a maturing and melding of punk and synth-pop genres to create middle of the road stadium rock for the masses. Think of The Police, Genesis, Phil Collins, Tears for Fears, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Wham, Sting, George Michael, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Spandau Ballet, Def Leppard and Eurythmics. It's a big list, and today its hard to imagine just how big and how dominant these acts were.  Add to that an 80s renaissance for some 70s superstars: Elton John, David Bowie and Queen, and in many ways the 1980s can be viewed as the very pinnacle of British popular music.

Time though hasn't been kind, and much 80s music sounds very dated today.

The British global domination came to a swift end in 1987 when a new fangled 'acid house' sound came out of Chicago nightclubs. Out with stadium rock. In with raves in a field outside Milton Keynes.

I think people are listening with fresh ears. I was born in the 80's so missed it. But growing up the 80's was always portrayed as naff.  It's cool now though and a fair few new bands go for a stylised 80's sound. M83 for instance - their second to last album had sax solos and slap bass.

18 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I think people are listening with fresh ears. I was born in the 80's so missed it. But growing up the 80's was always portrayed as naff.  It's cool now though and a fair few new bands go for a stylised 80's sound. M83 for instance - their second to last album had sax solos and slap bass.

Interesting . Will check them out. The Killers too cite 80s British pop as a major influence . Heard the specifically talk about being influenced by The Smiths and Pet Shop Boys. 

• 4 weeks later...

I jumped in the wife's car today, and was instantly buoyed by True Faith kicking in. After about 10 seconds l though this must be a remix and felt a bit miffed by it but as the tune went on I thought this works. After about a minute l became less enthused, and about 10 seconds later l realised that l hadn't put my seatbelt on and an alert was sounding.  I think on reflection that it would have mixed better with Blue Monday.

Archived