80s music

Muskination

Inspired by the 'songs you skip over' thread (strangely). It's everything you love and dislike about 80s music, with a heck of a lot more love than dislike.

Where to start. Was your favourite The Human League or Echo and the Bunnymen? Wham or Hazy Fantazy? Tears for Fears or The Jesus and Mary Chain? or the (must be) thousands in between.

One of my main favourites was Yazoo. Vince Clarke. What a champ.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was only a young child during the 80's but i do remember getting a strange penchant for Pet Shop Boys music before I started getting into alternative stuff. Just liked the music for some reason.

They're bloody awful now and have been for the past gawd knows how many years but ACTUALLY was a great and a creepy album. Always reminded me of London and London football teams oddly.

Aaaah yes, the 80's

Human League

Depeche Mode

Eurythmics

Yazoo

Erasure

Pet Shop Boys

Gary Numan

House Music

I remember at school you either had to be a Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet fan. You could under no circumstances like both.

Happy days.

One of the first singles I ever bought was the hobo anthem, Living In A Box, by Living In A Box, taken from the album Living In A Box. Thankfully their music was more inventive than their nomenclature. I also really like Curiosity Killed The Cat.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

One of the first singles I ever bought was the hobo anthem, Living In A Box, by Living In A Box, taken from the album Living In A Box. Thankfully their music was more inventive than their nomenclature. I also really like Curiosity Killed The Cat.

the lead singer's surname was Derbyshire.

the drummer used to be my uncle (as in engaged to my Auntie)

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

the lead singer's surname was Derbyshire.

the drummer used to be my uncle (as in engaged to my Auntie)

yeah she left him, he was so controlling and wouldn't let her do her own thing, it was like living in a box, living in a cardboard box.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm off here this weekend

ScreenHunter_929.jpg

Went to the skeggy one..they are ok, but then you realise these 80's artists often only have one or two songs you have heard of.

46 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Went to the skeggy one..they are ok, but then you realise these 80's artists often only have one or two songs you have heard of.

Went to Skeggy one in February, and going next Feb too. Was an epic weekend, but not for the live acts! ;) 

I watched TOTP 1982 (I think) a couple of weeks ago and as someone who wasn't around at the time, I couldn't believe the variety in the charts. I mean most of it was offensively awful, but I'd rather have that than the samey-samey EDM sound that's invading every single genre of music  and dominates the charts.

A lot of the good stuff has survived either as influences of modern artists or as socially acceptable music your dad listened to. I was born 4 years after the decade finished by my music taste is heavily shaped by the decade - I listen to the Smiths, the Specials, Gary Numan, the Jam, New Order and plenty more on the commute to work every week,

Some proper weird **** from that decade though. Can never make my mind up if this is brilliant or total ****.

37 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I watched TOTP 1982 (I think) a couple of weeks ago and as someone who wasn't around at the time, I couldn't believe the variety in the charts. I mean most of it was offensively awful, but I'd rather have that than the samey-samey EDM sound that's invading every single genre of music  and dominates the charts.

A lot of the good stuff has survived either as influences of modern artists or as socially acceptable music your dad listened to. I was born 4 years after the decade finished by my music taste is heavily shaped by the decade - I listen to the Smiths, the Specials, Gary Numan, the Jam, New Order and plenty more on the commute to work every week,

Some proper weird **** from that decade though. Can never make my mind up if this is brilliant or total ****.

It's totally brilliant ****

8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Aaaah yes, the 80's

Human League

Depeche Mode

Eurythmics

Yazoo

Erasure

Pet Shop Boys

Gary Numan

House Music

I remember at school you either had to be a Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet fan. You could under no circumstances like both.

Happy days.

When I was at school you were either the Beatles or the Stones you could  under no circumstances like both.

6 minutes ago, mozza said:

OMD recorded some brilliant stuff in the 80's , or was it the 70's ? anyway still sound great today, are they still performing ?

Oh forgot about them. Yes they're doing some of the retro concerts. I saw them last year. Very good. 

Archived