Songs you skip over

admira

56 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I will tell you one album I have never skipped a track on and that's Bat out of Hell .When I first heard that album I thought I would never like another more than that one ever again .

I actually skipped a lot the tracks "Bat out of Hell" or "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". I played the whole album to death but those particular tracks for some reason I got a bit bored of listening to. I still listen to the album quite often and depending what mood I'm in skip one or other, or both, of those tracks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, steve brummie said:

Oh darlin on Abbey Road,

Within you without you on Sergeant Pepper

Both are my fave albums by the best quartet this world will ever know music wise.

I agree on the albums, and the band. But I like oh darlin and within you and without you. Neither of those albums can be played with anything missing, especially of course abbey road second side which segues together. 

If I was to put my music collection on random  (it's not called Shuffle, and it never will be, it makes me sad that Apple were able to take a simple function and re-brand it to to sell a whole lineage of devices) then there are hundreds of tracks I'd skip, simply because I'm not in the mood for them at that particular moment in time.

If I don't put it on random then I will never skip a single song, not on ANY album.

I'm still all about albums, I'm still all about buying CDs & Vinyl. Is 30 young enough to be 'a young person' when talking about musical? If an artist has a drastc change of direction then I give their new release every chance I can, usually the reason you liked the artist in the first place finds a way of shining through any stylistic quibbles.

I feel genuine despair when I read about people buying a single song on iTunes because they've heard it on the radio, or wherever -  it's a world away from (and often an affront to) my sensibilities. Shame on you, scorn on you all! ;)

Seeing music purely as something to entertain you whhilst you do something else is something I struggle to get my head around. Music is so much more, so many more things to me, I can't process how anyone thinks of it as something to have in the background.

16 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Same here. Have you seen them perform "Being Boiled" live?. Amazing & it was never a song I liked that much on the album originally.

In the same way, for 20 years of my life I've been a big Depeche Mode fan but the one song I never listen to is "Just can't get enough" because it's the one you always hear.

The thing about the Mode is that even if you dislike a particular track, there's a hundred and one remixes of it so you can usually find a version you like

The Just Can't Get Enough (Schizo Mix) is a case in point.

4 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

The thing about the Mode is that even if you dislike a particular track, there's a hundred and one remixes of it so you can usually find a version you like

The Just Can't Get Enough (Schizo Mix) is a case in point.

If you like the mixes, have a look for Dominatrix RMX on youtube. He's done some great mixes and faithful to the DM sound mostly.

20 hours ago, Muskination said:

Albums are for old people.

Ah but you have something tangible for your money. A shiny disc, an inlay with perhaps lyrics and photos, artwork.

Todays music is instant. Pick it, download it and its just another song title sitting there on your PC or whatever with no real place in the world alongside all the other faceless songs dragged out of cyberspace.

11 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Ah but you have something tangible for your money. A shiny disc, an inlay with perhaps lyrics and photos, artwork.

Todays music is instant. Pick it, download it and its just another song title sitting there on your PC or whatever with no real place in the world alongside all the other faceless songs dragged out of cyberspace.

Yes, I miss all that. I missed it when cds came along and I miss flicking through the racks in the HMV shop in Derby.

The inlay was one of the best parts. You never knew what you were going to get when they came out and if they were out of stock and a mate didn't have it then you were kept guessing.

20 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Same here. Have you seen them perform "Being Boiled" live?. Amazing & it was never a song I liked that much on the album originally.

In the same way, for 20 years of my life I've been a big Depeche Mode fan but the one song I never listen to is "Just can't get enough" because it's the one you always hear.

Yes I've heard it live many times. I first saw them in '83 when I was wearing so much guy-liner, Phil Oakey thought I was a girl!

I have tickets for Depeche Mode at the Olympic Stadium next June.

17 hours ago, richinspain said:

I actually skipped a lot the tracks "Bat out of Hell" or "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". I played the whole album to death but those particular tracks for some reason I got a bit bored of listening to. I still listen to the album quite often and depending what mood I'm in skip one or other, or both, of those tracks.

Sacrilege! Both classic tracks I'll never get bored of

7 minutes ago, admira said:

Yes I've heard it live many times. I first saw them in '83 when I was wearing so much guy-liner, Phil Oakey thought I was a girl!

I have tickets for Depeche Mode at the Olympic Stadium next June.

Yeah I'm hoping to go to that too, though I haven't liked too much of their very recent stuff & the concert is for the new album isn't it?.

I last saw them in Manchester a few years ago and that was awesome.

I've seen Human League live quite a few times in recent years. Still a great sound.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Yeah I'm hoping to go to that too, though I haven't liked too much of their very recent stuff & the concert is for the new album isn't it?.

I last saw them in Manchester a few years ago and that was awesome.

I've seen Human League live quite a few times in recent years. Still a great sound.

I'm not sure about the concert content.  Not seen them live since the 'Some Great Reward' tour of '84 but love the live album '101' so based my ticket purchase on that and a beer-swilling day out in London with my mates.

2 hours ago, admira said:

Sacrilege! Both classic tracks I'll never get bored of

I know where you're coming from. When I do listen to them I find myself thinking "how can I not like these?". Then I listen to "You took the Words" and "Heaven can Wait" and "For Crying out Loud" and instantly think that they just don't compare.

3 hours ago, admira said:

I'm not sure about the concert content.  Not seen them live since the 'Some Great Reward' tour of '84 but love the live album '101' so based my ticket purchase on that and a beer-swilling day out in London with my mates.

You'll enjoy it, seen them twice in Birmingham on the last two tours and been a fan since the beginning.

My brother has tickets for the Olympic Stadium as well, I'm waiting for them to add an LG Arena one in later.

Incidentally, this is the setlist for the last tour date at Birmingham I went to, so you know what to expect.

Welcome to My World

Angel

Walking in My Shoes

Precious

Black Celebration

Should Be Higher

Policy of Truth

Slow

(Acoustic; Sung by Martin)

But Not Tonight

(Acoustic; Sung by Martin)

Heaven