Needs of the squad

IlsonDerby

we need another transfer window where we have a net loss of players in January and next summer. 

Steve needs to use the time until December to figure out who can meet the demands technically, physically and mentally of what he is trying to do here. He should be very transparent with the players who don't fit those demands and tell them they will be allowed to leave on loan so to look for a club for January (we can't sell the players we bought in on big money without messing up FFP unless we get their amortised value back for them, unlikely on current performances). 

Steve then needs to look at the under 23s and have a long hard talk about those who are mentally ready to have a run in the first team squad and wouldn't be broken by a few bad performances. 

Steve will then need to bring in 1 or 2 key players in key areas for us. Personally I am disgusted we didn't go in for Sam Gallagher, he looked like a giant compared to our defence for Blackburn and he scores goals. Was surprised Southampton let him go to a team not aiming for promotion.  He has technical ability and is fairly fast for his size could have been the competition to Martin that we needed. 

In my opinion of the current squad I believe we should have a core that we keep of:

carson mitchell

christie (last chance saloon) keogh Pearce rawson Forsyth Lowe 

hanson thorne Baird 

johnson Hughes butterfield

Anya camera Russell Ince elsnik 

vydra weimann 

thats a first team squad of 21 that includes 3 under 23s to cover for injuries. With forsyths injury in mind you'd probably keep olsson too but that gets you to a stage where it can now become one in one out, improve with a more suited, better quality player. 

Targetting right back and if vydra cannot learn to drop deeper to bring others into play a centre forward. 

I honestly think promotion is out of reach now. We needed to go on a run of positive results to make it an outside possibility and this loss has taken away that momentum. With this in mind the focus of this season becomes improving each player and those who cannot be improved need to leave and to bring through players from the under 23s. Look at how Hughes etc did well coming in for a team with nothing to play for by spring. 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived