Kevin Phillips

Sith Happens

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Every top sportsman has various coaches. They refine their skills, identify weaknesses etc. Your argument is very simplistic..why does Anthony Joshua need someone to tell him how to punch someone else in the face, or Jimmy Anderson need someone to tell him how to catch or throw a cricket ball?  Vydra cost a lot of money so I'd expect he'd be being coached on how to score more goals. 

Curently we aren't scoring many, but as said by others that is down to the lack of chances being created more than poor finishing! Exactly the reason we need someone to advise the strikers how to find space; analyse when they need to make runs etc.

Is Kev the right man?...but without seeing what he does at training and hearing the strikers speak about him I've not a clue. Always seemed a decent bloke and was a great player. Think you gotta trust the manager that his coach is doing what he tells them to do!

No the stats show us way out ahead an terms of shots per goal so it is down to the attacking players who have not delivered the goods.

loaning out our best striker hasn't helped. But it's not just the strikers who are not scoring, neither are the midfielders. 

Something  has to change , whether it's better coaches or new players or both. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, I read that elsewhere but stat's can say anything. Maybe its just my perception but what I'm seeing is that we huff and puff with no final pass or cutting edge..I don't recall any particular player having a hatful of glaring misses, or lots of different players missing sitters!!

Is he our "strikers coach"? What evidence do we have for that? His job title is assistant coach, and that's all we know - his job description could be anything from putting the cones out to sitting down with the gaffer and working out how we're going to stop the opposition in the next game.

As far as I can see, the only possible reason that Kevin Phillips might be the latest victim to be hit with the Derby County Fans' Wielding Hammer of Blame is that he used to be a striker. So therefore we've assumed that's his responsibility and it's therefore his fault we're not scoring.

You have to assume a lot with very little evidence to reach that conclusion. 

8 hours ago, Duracell said:

Is he our "strikers coach"? What evidence do we have for that? His job title is assistant coach, and that's all we know - his job description could be anything from putting the cones out to sitting down with the gaffer and working out how we're going to stop the opposition in the next game.

As far as I can see, the only possible reason that Kevin Phillips might be the latest victim to be hit with the Derby County Fans' Wielding Hammer of Blame is that he used to be a striker. So therefore we've assumed that's his responsibility and it's therefore his fault we're not scoring.

You have to assume a lot with very little evidence to reach that conclusion. 

I don't know if his his coaching role is different now, but this is from an article last year. At the very least, he definitely appears to be responsible for coaching "forward movement" of the players. Whether that specifically requires him to concentrate on coaching finishing skillsets I'm not sure. He's obviously known for his goalscoring abilities as a player, and his knowledge/experience would no doubt be invaluable to our players , plus someone useful to bounce new ideas for creative movement off of. That said, could be useful to have perhaps have a second coach around (maybe we already do, I don't know) to help breathe new life and variety into ways the team can get the ball in the back of net! 

I don't have a clue how things are run behind the scenes, and definitely don't want him to leave the club. Even if our finishing isn't quite going to plan these days, he's a valuable staff member to have around!

Phillips' goals' record in his illustrious career is highly impressive and his know-how should benefit the strikers, but he is not here just to work with the frontmen.

"I'm sure we will tap into that, but I have not been brought in specifically for that role," he said.

"Yes, my role at Leicester was more that (working with the strikers) and that was my title, but here I want to get involved with everyone.

"My natural progression is to start working with the whole squad.

"Yes, at times I will take the strikers, and do some finishing sessions, I am pretty sure."

http://burtonmail.co.uk/kevin-phillips-brings-wealth-experience-derby/story-27834035-detail/story.html

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

McClaren is one of the best attacking coaches in the game, once he's done what he needs to do on team shape etc, he will get the strikers in for intensive training.... this could be this week!

I hope so!

*starts daydreaming about goals...*

tumblr_nas3e56e1O1tbt3r1o1_500.gif

found another good one

tumblr_nc3sd2Xa3O1r0m2gio1_r1_250.gif

I suppose there's a tiny element of luck involved with these sort of goals as well..  for example the second pass in this goal was a bit long across the box, and had their defender been standing just a tiny step or two further forward it would've been cut off denying us the chance to finish that opportunity off. this season it seems those kinds of scenarios keep happening (i.e. opposition defense is sharper, better organized) or that the finishing is off (and so in the gif above he would've just sent it into the stands or hit the side setting or something)   :(

7 hours ago, McRamFan said:

I am of the opinion we have gone backwards since his appointment, in terms of chances created, and conversion. 

Pointing the finger at Phillips is completely missing another member of staff change.

13/14 - 84 goals
14/15 - 85 goals

Steve McClaren departure

15/16 - 66 goals

Without researching his career, I seem to remember Phillips standing out when playing alongside Niall Quinn in a big man/small man situation.

If people are assuming his coaching is based on what he did as a player have we not got the wrong sort of striker in?

Very simplistic I know but just putting an idea out there.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe, as a brilliant striker, Kev's main role is to teach our defenders how top attackers think, and that's why we've got one of the best defences in the league?

Without seeing, who can say?

Did think about writing that myself but didn't want him being blamed for Keoghs mistakes as well as our lack of goals.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe, as a brilliant striker, Kev's main role is to teach our defenders how top attackers think, and that's why we've got one of the best defences in the league?

Without seeing, who can say?

Thinking outside the box, I like it, have you got a pair of boots? :ph34r:

On 23/10/2016 at 08:53, Paul71 said:

Not at all, i think its fair to question his role though, especially as he is goal scoring coach and our record is the worst i can ever recall, even in the ill fated PL season we scored more than this.

Where did you get the idea that he is the goal scoring coach? He is the first team coach, no specific role apart from following the managers guidelines. 

Archived