Kevin Phillips

Sith Happens

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Why do Derby fans have a constant need to find one person to blame for all their woes?

Where has it been said by the club that all Phillips is tasked with is coaching the forwards?

Phillips is part of the coaching staff that's it. Just because he's as ex-forward it doesn't mean he's the man to blame for all of our striking woes, just like ex-defender Powell isn't solely to blame for defensive problems and ex-midfielder McClaren isn't solely to blame for midfield problems.

Pearson, Ranieiri, Clement, Pearson (again) and now McClaren have all deemed him worthy of a coaching role, on this basis I'd hazard to suggest that he contributes much more to the coaching team than telling our forwards to not score.

FFS.

I dont mind admitting when im wrong about something, in all honesty i was of the understanding his role was as some sort of goal scoring coach and I know I am not alone in thinking that. Its not unreasonable to question someones role especially as our goal scoring record isnt just poor, its abysmal.

I dont know where i got it from that that was his role, and like i said i am not alone in thinking this, i know others who i know and sit around me at the ipro are of this belief too. If your goalkeepers form declined rapidly after the appointment of a new goalkeeping coach would it be wrong to question their ability in the role?

But anyway, hes not a goal scoring coach as you have pointed out so i am wrong to question it.

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Ok, so I know hes not actually on the pitch but what does he do? Its not like we arent getting into decent positions, we had plenty against brentford we just cant score...when we have a shot the accuracy is shocking.

He can't put it in the net for them. If we've got a bunch of professional footballers who need showing how to score goals, when most of our attacking players have decent career scoring records, then we really have got problems.

Phillips will set up shooting drills in training, and the goals probably fly in. Out on the pitch it is entirely up to the player.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I dont mind admitting when im wrong about something, in all honesty i was of the understanding his role was as some sort of goal scoring coach and I know I am not alone in thinking that. Its not unreasonable to question someones role especially as our goal scoring record isnt just poor, its abysmal.

I dont know where i got it from that that was his role, and like i said i am not alone in thinking this, i know others who i know and sit around me at the ipro are of this belief too. If your goalkeepers form declined rapidly after the appointment of a new goalkeeping coach would it be wrong to question their ability in the role?

But anyway, hes not a goal scoring coach as you have pointed out so i am wrong to question it.

Perhaps you could point those you know & those who sit around you to:

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/team/staff_profiles/

Zuberbuhler IS the goalkeeping coach.

Phillips IS NOT the "goalscoring coach".

:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Ok, so I know hes not actually on the pitch but what does he do? Its not like we arent getting into decent positions, we had plenty against brentford we just cant score...when we have a shot the accuracy is shocking.

Who hasn't worked for a company where there is someone employed who seems to get on really well with the bosses, but nobody is quite sure exactly what their role is??

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Since he has been here we have gone backwards. No logic here as he was a top player and comes highly rated.

Could be something to do with the midfield, wide players and strikers being nothing short of Div 1 std.

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Have you considered he may well be coaching them to get into those scoring positions???

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure I understand what you are saying

Every top sportsman has various coaches. They refine their skills, identify weaknesses etc. Your argument is very simplistic..why does Anthony Joshua need someone to tell him how to punch someone else in the face, or Jimmy Anderson need someone to tell him how to catch or throw a cricket ball?  Vydra cost a lot of money so I'd expect he'd be being coached on how to score more goals. 

Curently we aren't scoring many, but as said by others that is down to the lack of chances being created more than poor finishing! Exactly the reason we need someone to advise the strikers how to find space; analyse when they need to make runs etc.

Is Kev the right man?...but without seeing what he does at training and hearing the strikers speak about him I've not a clue. Always seemed a decent bloke and was a great player. Think you gotta trust the manager that his coach is doing what he tells them to do!

Archived