Derby v Sheff Wed (three years ago)

Bris Vegas

Derby County 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Jack Buxton (45), Will Hughes (49), Chris Martin (58)

Our starting XI that day: Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Cisse, Bryson, Hughes, Dawkins, Ward, Martin

I seriously cannot get over the fact that we have spent about £40 million on new players since then and we're significantly worse. I mean, who from our line-up which faced Huddersfield would get into that team?

Carson? Bradley Johnson replacing Cisse as the holding midfielder? And that's about it...

I think we just have to accept that the set of players currently available to McClaren (no Thorne, Forsyth or Martin) aren't half as good as it was three years ago. Players like Anya and Vydra, who recently cost us £12m, would have been bench players back then. Thanks Pearson, you useless dinosaur.

Recruitment has been beyond woeful since McClaren's first exit, and it's going to take him a couple of transfer windows to get the team looking anywhere near as good as it did three years ago.

Time for us all to just accept what we are, and give McClaren the time he needs to clear up from Clement and Pearson's mess. 

On a side note, I really can't stress how pointless it is throwing a hissyfit when losing to a last-minute goal away at third in the league. Better teams have lost to Huddersfield this season.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might find the recruitment team are the ones to blame regarding the £40 million.

Surely they are the ones that should have been sacked?

Totally agree with you regarding the lack of quality within our squad. The decline started back in January and has continued on through 4 managers.

It is bad  when fans seem happy with a home draw against Brentford.

Yesterday's performance was awful to say the least and really know different to what it was like under Pearson. We are possibly asking Mac to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Our starting XI that day: Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Cisse, Bryson, Hughes, Dawkins, Ward, Martin

I seriously cannot get over the fact that we have spent about £40 million on new players since then and we're significantly worse. I mean, who from our line-up which faced Huddersfield would get into that team?

Carson? Bradley Johnson replacing Cisse as the holding midfielder? And that's about it...

I think we just have to accept that the set of players currently available to McClaren (no Thorne, Forsyth or Martin) aren't half as good as it was three years ago. Players like Anya and Vydra, who recently cost us £12m, would have been bench players back then. Thanks Pearson, you useless dinosaur.

Recruitment has been beyond woeful since McClaren's first exit, and it's going to take him a couple of transfer windows to get the team looking anywhere near as good as it did three years ago.

Time for us all to just accept what we are, and give McClaren the time he needs to clear up from Clement and Pearson's mess. 

On a side note, I really can't stress how pointless it is throwing a hissyfit when losing to a last-minute goal away at third in the league. Better teams have lost to Huddersfield this season.

I don't wanna like this, there should be a this infuriates me button as well. 

That was such a good team to build on, a better winger, cover for Thorne, Pearce in for bucko (eventually), add a few of the under 23s, real competition for Martin. 

But no instead we end up buying anyone and everyone who has had a good season regardless of what system they played in. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don't wanna like this, there should be a this infuriates me button as well. 

That was such a good team to build on, a better winger, cover for Thorne, Pearce in for bucko (eventually), add a few of the under 23s, real competition for Martin. 

But no instead we end up buying anyone and everyone who has had a good season regardless of what system they played in. 

and we didn't even have thorne then did we? HE was the improvement - we had Cisse covering for Eustace (I thought).

But your points are entirely valid - we have completely failed to capitalise on that position. No one individual at fault.

We scored two classic Derby goals that day. Dawkins wins it in midfield, Bryson and Fozzy immediately bomb ahead of him, he gives it to Bryson, Bryson gives it to Martin, Martin takes a touch inside before reversing it to Fozzy, first time cross through the corridor and Hughes slides it in.

Cisse wins it, one two with Martin allows runners to get forward, Cisse gives it to Hughes, he's in the inside right channel, he carries it forward, Wisdom underlaps creating space for Ward, Hughes gives Ward the ball, another early low cross and Martin taps it in. 

We scored so many goals like that. So many. Those triangles between full-back, centre-mid and winger were the absoloute key. Our third man running caused so much confusion and we just tore teams apart. Everyone used to say that everything went through Martin which was ********. It was all about the third man runs, McClaren admitted this himself in the Wembley programme (incedentally its the only bit of it I've ever had the heart to read).

The style was there, the template was there and we ignored it. 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

We scored two classic Derby goals that day. Dawkins wins it in midfield, Bryson and Fozzy immediately bomb ahead of him, he gives it to Bryson, Bryson gives it to Martin, Martin takes a touch inside before reversing it to Fozzy, first time cross through the corridor and Hughes slides it in.

Cisse wins it, one two with Martin allows runners to get forward, Cisse gives it to Hughes, he's in the inside right channel, he carries it forward, Wisdom underlaps creating space for Ward, Hughes gives Ward the ball, another early low cross and Martin taps it in. 

We scored so many goals like that. So many. Those triangles between full-back, centre-mid and winger were the absoloute key. Our third man running caused so much confusion and we just tore teams apart. Everyone used to say that everything went through Martin which was ********. It was all about the third man runs, McClaren admitted this himself in the Wembley programme (incedentally its the only bit of it I've ever had the heart to read).

In the search for plan b we forgot plan a

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

In the search for plan b we forgot plan a

I'd say I watched probably 60% of our matches under Clement and I can only remember one occasion in which there was a triangle which involved one winger, full-back and a midfielder. MK Dons away, Christie on the overlap gives it to Russell, Hendrick makes a darting run inside the channel confusing there centre-mid and centre-half, Russell drifts into the space created has a shot and hits the crossbar. 

It's so effective that it's ridiculous and we abondoned it. I went on a mad rant about third man runs after the Preston game at home last year in which I just posted loads of clips of our third man running under McClaren and it's ridiculous how vital third man runs were. 

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I agree with most of this, but recruitment has been poor since Nigel Clough left, it's going to take time to sort this mess out, Is  Mac the right man, we will find out, in time, but will he be given time?

11 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

I agree with most of this, but recruitment has been poor since Nigel Clough left, it's going to take time to sort this mess out, Is  Mac the right man, we will find out, in time, but will he be given time?

In hindsight, I don't think McClaren's first couple of Windows were too bad as they were mainly about increasing squad depth. We were actively seeking natural cover for Martin (enquirer about Nhuie(?) and bid for Jutkiewicsz but couldn't get either so I'all give him the BOD on that one. 

It was January 2015 when it started to get silly. We signed a head it and kick it centre-half from a backs to the wall team and expected him to fit? We signed a poacher to cover Martin? Ince and Lingard get the BOD because of Dawkins' family issues and Ibe'a recall occurred fairly late in the window.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

I agree with this so much and I do think Mac can bring it back with this set of players. Think there will be an improvement between now and the next match in a week. He needs the week to drill his philosophy into all the players. I'd like to think with our current strike force this could work, given time on the training pitch so we will have to wait and see because against Leeds I thought we showed glimpses of what we did first time round under Mac

52 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I've read on here that team are all failures

So we bought new ones

And they're mercenaries...

Someone tell me what the correct answer is

I blame the expectation. McClaren's first season, no pressure, we flourish. The next season, expectations increase a little and the team starts to feel it towards the latter end of the season (and injuries didn't help). Then Clement came in with massive expectations and we again crumbled. Next, Pearson and yet again, we can't handle the pressure.

The same could be said of the signings. Martin signs with no one expecting much, he bangs in 20+ goals. We then come to expect it from him, he struggles. Ince and Bent join with little to no pressure, they bang in the goals. They sign permanently and we expect 30+ goals combined during a full season and they struggle. Johnson and Butterfield sign for large fees so we are expecting a lot, they both perform below their previous standards.

I've not been in their situation but it don't half annoy me that quite a lot of this team have been signed/kept because they're seen as good enough to get us promoted, but in most of the big games they go missing and they regularly seem to lose concentration in key parts of the game.

Archived