Random stuff that cheers me up thread

Stive Pesley

11 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Should have waited till they had a frost on them, and did you remember to rick each one with a pin

We go hi-tech and make our own frost! (Might not be any left if we waited either ? )  Put them in the freezer and then you can use them when you've time/need. Plus you don't need to rick them (if you really do) because their skin will break on freezing. ?

Must remember to decant ours from the kilner jars, add sugar and then bottle fairly soon now.

ps If you're in Spain do you make patcharan? We've tried but don't have access to the spirit so used ouzo.

Edited by RoyMac5

John Lewis delivered and fitted a new washing machine and tumble dryer yesterday.

The fella had to remove a piece of skirting to fit the washer, and somehow dropped it on the washer front, causing a tiny scratch. He took a picture, sent it to his boss, who then offered a replacement or 10% off the price.

Mrs Rev took the discount, then used a bit of elbow grease to remove the scratch, which was just paint from the skirting board!

I’ve just spent a few hours stranded in my car, what I witnessed filled me with faith and pride. There was a group of local students, latterly joined by others, pushing cars up the hill in the snow. It was basically a blizzard and freezing and these selfless people, with no expectation of reward, spent easily 3 hours pushing cars up the road. ?? i salute you all. 

• 3 weeks later...

Free Beer .. yes .. really

went to Majestic on Ashbourne Rd to buy some wine

Lo and behold .. at the cash desk there they are a dozen or so bottles  “out of date” on 20th feb .. described as free and so they were. The joys of food labelling and responsible retailers 

4 bottles - ( I’m not greedy ) for the next lap top game  .. cost ? sweet fanny adams .. happy days 

Edited by jono

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

"The grave of one of English football's lesser-known pioneers has been restored after a fan watched his story on Netflix series, The English Game.

Jacqueline McAleese contacted Blackburn Rovers after noticing Fergus Suter's final resting place was dilapidated..."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-56668983

Great story that, cheers for the heads up. It's just up the road from my house too. Will try and find it one day this week if I remember. ?

• 1 month later...

A couple of blue tits decided to nest in our wall mounted smoking bin at work this spring.

Was outside yesterday having a fag at a safe distance and witnessed one of the chicks standing on the edge of one of the holes, warily deciding to take its first flight - with cheeps of encouragement from one of the parents in a nearby bush. Off it went, eventually, for a loop of the car park and then disappeared behind the building out of view.

Warmed the heart, I can tell you.

By this morning, the nest was empty, so presumably all the chicks (at least 6) had done the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2021 at 11:40, Wolfie said:

A couple of blue tits decided to nest in our wall mounted smoking bin at work this spring.

Was outside yesterday having a fag at a safe distance and witnessed one of the chicks standing on the edge of one of the holes, warily deciding to take its first flight - with cheeps of encouragement from one of the parents in a nearby bush. Off it went, eventually, for a loop of the car park and then disappeared behind the building out of view.

Warmed the heart, I can tell you.

By this morning, the nest was empty, so presumably all the chicks (at least 6) had done the same.

I share your joy. Mrs P bought me a nesting box with camera last year, too late for nesting. However, in March this year there were obvious signs of a nest being built by the blue tits. So we've been watching the progress up until a couple of weeks ago, by which time the last three chicks disappeared overnight. Sadly we didn't see any of them actually leave.

Unfortunately, although I thought originally the camera covered the whole of the base, it in fact only covered about 2/3rds, the nest being mainly in the 1/3rd we couldn't see. Massive failure! We don't even know how many chicks there were but it was at least 6.

However, we did discover one unusual trait. The feeding parent would give a 'cheep' and the chick would present it's backside and have the poo pulled out and disposed of, somewhere outside the box.

Camera now adjusted to cover whole of base. I can recommend one, but make sure you adjust the camera before nesting occurs.

Birds_7.jpg