Random stuff that cheers me up thread

Stive Pesley

Stories like this, and it's true.

An acquaintance of mine was addicted to running (not uncommon, once you start). After a while he added cycling to his addiction. Eventually, he got the old 'pains in the chest' syndrome and the doctor told him he should look after his heart.

Undeterred, he continued cycling (bear in mind he's a bit of a head-banger), and was riding along a remote lane on the Leicestershire/Warwickshire border (1 car an hour sort of thing) when he had a massive heart attack.

Just at that moment, a car came along and the driver got out to see what had happened. It turned out he was a trained medical man and just happened to have a defibrillator in his car, and brought him back into the land of the living. What's the odds on that, eh?

He's since had a quadruple bypass...

...and is back cycling again. Sooner him than me.

Not sure whether this should cheer me up as such, or be in the 'proud to be British' thread, but tomorrow (May 26th) was, 78 years ago, the start of Operation Dynamo which ran over 8 days until June 4th 1940.

As you will know that was the evacuation from Dunkirk of the BEF. They expected to save 30,000 soldiers and in the end saved nearly 340,000, in great measure due to the huge efforts and bravery of the small boats and those who sailed them.  Thousands died too.

It led to Churchill's 'we shall fight them on the beaches' speech and also his comment that wars aren't won by evacuations. It might also put into some context the decision by our ex manager to feather his nest 20 miles down the road.

52 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Fair play semi retiring at 32. Has @David offered you an executive position? I'll be working until I'm 95 yrs old before I accrue a decent pension pot.

Last person that was an admin almost lost the site *cough* @Boycie *cough* so I doubt there will be another.

I say semi retiring the wife says going part time to care for the kids ?

On 18/05/2018 at 11:00, mozza said:

A likely story,  i'm often tempted to slip the odd glass away myself,  Marston's do some beautys

My local has a vast array of superb glasses - I often leave my car there on a Saturday and I have a system of nipping out to the car, taking the glass with me, and leaving it in the car. Cool glass collecting is my cheapest hobby.

45 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

My local has a vast array of superb glasses - I often leave my car there on a Saturday and I have a system of nipping out to the car, taking the glass with me, and leaving it in the car. Cool glass collecting is my cheapest hobby.

So you are proud of being a thief, are you?

8 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

At £4.50 a pint that glass is fair game.

If you are talking about 'superb' glasses (your words, not mine), I think you'll find that the glass might well cost as much as, if not more than, the price of a pint. Even pigswill beer (Carling, Budweiser, Stella Artois etc) glasses cost £3 or £4 each.