Player Performance Ratings - Sky Bet Championship & FA Cup

RamsPolls

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I thought the entire midfield three were equally excellent, Hughes possibly the weakest of the lot.

Russell was by far the worst player for us

I don't think there was a 'worst' player yesterday.

'Least best' perhaps.

19 minutes ago, needles said:

Bit harsh on Butterfield, who I'm no great fan of usually. Any team who let him get his head up and pick a pass will suffer for it and Rotherham did just that. Instrumental in the first two goals. It's when people get in his face and close him down when it becomes obvious why he's not in the same class as Hughes.

Very harsh on Johnson - was MoM for me. He must have won 8 clean headers in midfield and it just makes the centre halves life so much easier.

BJ's stats are impressive from yesterday https://www.whoscored.com/Players/12490

I should uprate him admittedly...

You are spot-on about BJ's Aerials...was the game's top performer on this issue and indeed relieved pressure on our back 4. Alex Pearce next best with 5. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1085119/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Derby-Rotherham

Johnson and Butterfield were linking better than any previous game and I think they are beginning to gel quite well. Hughes was a bit sloppy at times.

Russell was causing Rotherham all sorts of issues with his off the ball running and making it easier for the others to find space so I would give him a higher rating.

Ince not my MoM. Miss two penalties and still prone to trying to beat one man too many. Also missed other gold plated chances.

For me no MoM as such but midfield combo won it for us!

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

BJ's stats are impressive from yesterday https://www.whoscored.com/Players/12490

You are spot-on about BJ's Aerials...was the game's top performer on this issue and indeed relieved pressure on our back 4. Alex Pearce next best with 5. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1085119/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Derby-Rotherham

Ha! Honestly hadn't looked that up, just a lucky estimate!

@Ellafella

some great turns of phrase :thumbsup: .. I think others have covered the Johnno opinion. I get the 6 out of tens which might be fair considering the quality of the opposition and that just about everyone made a few unforced errors. 

I like Bryson when he is humming but he looked right off it at first, maybe just down to lack of game time Nd the fact that we were 3 up but his usual buzz wasn't there. I wonder if Baird's solid but unsexy presence might have been part of the recipe that helped Ince feel more free. ? 

Johnson has an amazing heading technique. He seems to jump early, then hover for a second or two before actually heading it. I've noticed it before but yesterday was especially noticeable.. Obviously he doesn't hover but I can't think of a better way to describe it.

Johnny Russell had one of those games where nothing really came off but his persistence created dosage for others to exploit. Ib think he'd run himself into the ground by the time he was substituted.

Butterfield was my pick of the midfield players for the first hour but faded a bit.  Driving runs, quick accurate passing and constantly making himself available.

I felt sorry for Vydra - he's obviously been affected by the coaching on this forum and opted to just tap the ball into the gaping open space because he's bern assured that no goalkeeper could reach that. Unfortunately for him, Camp hasn't been reading this forum so didn't know those tap-ins are unsaveable. He should have chipped it back over the keeper :-)

I think MacClaren's comment about educating the crowd was simply to gently point out that at 3:0 and a number of injuries in the squad sometimes it's better to take things down a notch or two to conserve energy for future games and minimise chance of injuries.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

@Ellafella

some great turns of phrase :thumbsup: .. I think others have covered the Johnno opinion. I get the 6 out of tens which might be fair considering the quality of the opposition and that just about everyone made a few unforced errors. 

I like Bryson when he is humming but he looked right off it at first, maybe just down to lack of game time Nd the fact that we were 3 up but his usual buzz wasn't there. I wonder if Baird's solid but unsexy presence might have been part of the recipe that helped Ince feel more free. ? 

Thank you Jono, you are a gent.

I suspect you are correct about Ince / Baird. Ince does track back as he's aware of the criticism that's levelled at him so having the reliable Baird and knowing he's not likely to venture beyond half-way might give Ince a bit more license to roam.

Bryson reminds me of my 2 litre air-cooled unit in my van. Slow at first but pulls up the steepest hill at quite a poke once warm...I miss Bryson and when his engine is hot he will run until the proverbial cows are long home.  

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Player Ratings V Rovrum.

Frank Carson 6/10

Spent the afternoon dreamin’ about wrestlin’ bears & white water raftin’ with Burt Reynolds. Briefly interrupted by a firm shot to his near post which he beat away. Distribution was good, often rolling it out to a full-back...one hospital pass to Pearce nearly put us in trouble but otherwise blue skies, and salmon and the smell of pine forests...

Christopher Baird 6/10

The elephant in the room but a no nonsense solid display. Blimey...he even overlapped at one point, beat the full-back and crossed the ball. Baird is a lot better than we give him credit for he just needs to make friends with the fans again.

Richard Keogh 6/10

A very good game by the skipper; the churlish amongst us will point out the one time he lost the ball when trying to dwell with the ball. Luckily it came to nothing but briefly there was egg on his face...Otherwise some lovely surges and passes diagonally left.

Alex Pearce 6/10

I’m liking this boy more and more. Lovely sweet nature and very nice bloke he has come along in leaps and bounds. Very solid, his distribution is starting to look good and he looked to have scored with a bullet header but for a fine save from Camp Lee. Shackell is getting bored.

Max Lowe 7/10

Mature beyond his 19 years. Always available, controls the ball well, runs with malice and directness and has a lovely cross. Can also tackle very hard and shepherded the ball back with a cushion off his chest even though being harried by an opponent after Rovrum’s hard shot. A better left-back than Olson ...probably only a shade less good than Forsyth.

Johnson 5/10

Solid and combative. Lovely pinged header to assist Ince with goal 3 but that said, still prone to dawdle at times and give sloppy passes to an opponent. That is an attitude issue which requires some work. I’m sure Mac will be having words...

Hughes 7/10

A good show from Will without being very outstanding, but can do better. I can watch him play a pass all afternoon...he has a left foot that seems to work like a rudder...just when you think the boat is going right, it angles left. And there were some beautiful balletic moments when he pirhouetted and turned leaving opponents wondering where he’d gone to. Had a good shot late on which wasn’t too far away. Will is a creater who slips other players in with his fabulous 360 degree vision; he needs sometimes though to be greedy and go for goal more. Mac I’m sure is coaching Will to be just that player.

Butterfield 6/10

A very good game. Surging runs with the ball had Rovrum pressing the panic button. Butters though has gone into his shell a tad...he can do more and his shots have dried up . We need more goals from midfield and at present I’d back Bryson more to supply them.

Russell 5/10

A quiet game by JR’s high standards. Plenty of running but combinations didn’t quite come off today. Subbed for Weimann on 62 to a very solid applause from the Pride Park  iPro Pride Park supporters.

Bent 7/10

I’ve been a doubter but Benty is proving me wrong. He knows how to work defences for sure and really worked for the team. Much more mobile now when out of possession and is like a wasp buzzing around defenders noses, threatening to sting. Showed great class when taking his goal with simultaneous striding and kicking. He’s playing with a big smile and I think Bent will find the onion bag regularly if he can keep this form. Subbed for Vydra on 69 minutes to fine applause.

Ince 8/10 MotM

Scored 2 and was the stand-out performer. Rovrum couldn’t cope with him. Technically missed 2 penalties but both good saves by Camp. Set up Vydra with a sitter, courtesy of a fine back-heal after a neat triangle of quick passes.

Weimann 3/10 Didn’t get into the game...needs more game time but will the opportunity come?

Bryson 5/10 Did the Bryson graft. I want to see Bryson start. He can re-discover goals if given a run with Hughes.

Vydra 5/10. Undoubtedly will score goals. Looked quick and got involved as soon as he entered the field. Just needs to keep at it and take the next chance when it comes.

Management 7/10

3 points, 3 goals & another clean sheet (since Mac2  we haven’t conceded at home). Only the churlish people will point out the need to be more ruthless when the opposition are on the rack. The players love playing for Mac that is obvious; I’d like him to continue to praise post-match but also temper that with some constructive criticism of the team; not to single out players but to strike a balance to keep things developing. Love to know what he means by “educating the crowd”. Does he not realise I have CSE’s FFS!

Crowd

Good voice at times. Is the constant tormenting of Camp constructive? I think it helped Camp have a very good game yesterday. It’s banter yes but creeps over the line of acceptability on occasion. 

:mellow: 

Disagreed with Johnson and Butterfield ratings, They bossed the midfield as long with Hughes as well. 

23 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Strongest midfield at the minute..... with Bryson, Hanson sitting waiting for any opportunity..... 

Bryson will have to wait very LONG time for the opportunity because Johnson Butterfield and Hughesy are undroppable at the moment tbf. Hopefully this will stays that way for rest of the season. 

Carson 7 - Some good quick kicks. Decent saves from rare efforts

Baird 6 - As basic as you can get. Not the donkey that some suggest. Does nothing spectacular neither good or bad. 

Keogh 6 - A couple of wows. A couple of eee-aaaws. And solid defending in between

Pearce 7 - Solid, won everything in the air. 

Lowe 7 - Some very good defending. Unfussy in attack. Young but not really naive 

Johnson 8 - Couple of dodgy moments in a pretty excellent display. Backed up everybody and just allows others to play in what is an easy role providing you are disciplined and don't go glory hunting

Hughes 7 - Some dodgy shooting but otherwise his routine class of feeding others and being good at defending.

Butterfield 9 - Ran the show, set up Bent. Helped out Lowe. 

Russell 6 - Got kicked a lot. Didn't get a lot of opportunity to shine but played his part in some good passages of play. 

Bent 8 - Good work to draw midfielders forward. Excellent in the air. Made the most of any loose passes

Ince 8 - How did he not get 3? Looked to be having fun. Rotherham really didn't cope well with him

Weimann, Vydra 7 - Offered fresh momentum. Kept Derby at a high tempo. Vydra full of promise but just not quite delivering. Fingers crossed

Bryson was tidy and offered good support. 

Anybody giving Hughes a better rating than Johnson or Butterfield must have watched a different match. 

Carson - Quiet afternoon, decent distribution. 6 

Baird - Surprised to see him get the nod but fared well. Steady as you go. 6

Keogh - Typical Keogh performance. A few 'moments' but reliable at the back. 6

Pearce - Looks rock solid to me and nearly scored from Butterfield's corner. 7

Lowe - Plays above his years. I enjoy watching him develop. 7 

Johnson - Yet another great performance. Rather focus on the many positives than the odd negative. 8

Hughes - Standard display. Not quite the brilliance of last week but didn't need to be. 7

Butterfield - Ran the game before tiring late on. Must have had more touches than the entire Rotherham team. Class. 9

Russell - Some nice link up play but a quiet game for Johnny. 6

Bent - Great finish and bossed his opponents in the air. 7

Ince - Hitting top form at a good time. A real menace. 9 

Weimann - Good to see him back. Sharp and offered fresh impetus. 7

Vydra - Lively and could have scored. 6

Bryson - Steady enough. 6

Professional display against a poor side. The players look like they know what they're doing. They're gelling nicely. The improvements since Pearson left are massive. Enjoying the games again. 

I posted this in the matchday thread but supposed it is worth putting on here also. I personally think scoring 3 and keeping a clean sheet is a solid result no matter who we play so to give any player a 5 is a bit harsh. These are what I went for:

Scott Carson : 6

Would be higher but didn't really have anything of real note to do. Distribution was good and claimed corners and crosses well.

Chris Baird : 6

Much like Carson he just did was he had to. 

Richard Keogh : 7

Solid. Brought the ball out of defence well and put in a few traditional Keogh blocks. Scares me sometimes and was lucky he got fouled when he got dispossessed and Rotherham were through on goal.

Alex Pearce : 7

Again solid. Him and Keogh are forming a nice partnership at the back. Safe and strong performance however should have scored!

Max Lowe : 7

I am really starting to enjoy watching him. Looks a threat and creative going forward and can defend to!

Bradley Johnson : 8 

Another very solid performance in defensive midfield. So good in the air. Shields the defence excellently. Playing very well at the moment 

Jacob Butterfield : 8

Looked good going forward and great vision to set Bent up for his goal and Ince for the first penalty. Great on the ball. Great feet and fantastic passing around the midfield.

Will Hughes : 8

He is different class. Ran the show. Deserved a goal.

Tom Ince : 9 MOTM

Always looked a threat. Got very involved and deserved the goals he scored. Unlucky with the penalties. But did very well twice to win them. Looking back to his best.

Johnny Russell : 6

Gave his usual energetic performance but lacks a final ball and cutting edge at times.

Darren Bent : 8

Well taken goal and bullied the center backs for the 70 or so minutes he was on. 

Subs:

Andreas Weimann: 6

Struggled to impact. Needs more game time.

Matej Vydra : 6

Finding himself in great scoring opportunities rather often. But much like Weimann he needs more games to get up to speed. He'll come good and start banging them in. Just important that fans don't start getting on his back- its the last thing he needs!

Craig Bryson : 6 

Showed signs of nice link up play between him, Hughes and Butterfield. Going to struggle to get in the team whilst we're playing well. 

Was happy with the performance and I to liked Mac's comments post game about educating the fans. 3-0 at home and good possession orientated football. Looking forward to next weekend.

Weimann getting a 3 is uber harsh, looked better than Russell did when he came on and arguably contributed more. Great snapshot volley in the box that was unlucky to go straight at Camp, otherwise he'd have been on the score sheet. There's a reason everyone raves about him after the Hull away leg, it's because in a fast paced attacking team he's very good, think he's just as good as some of our other wingers on the counter-attack.

Hope he gets another 30 mins against Norwich, clearly could be a very good player for us.

20 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Full stats from Whoscored bear out many of your combined comments. https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1085119/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Derby-Rotherham

Would you say BJs stats were impressive?

I think BJ's performances so far has vastly improved. Back to when he originally signed. 

BTW here in Nigeria it was widely reported that Derby County whipped Rotterdam United

Archived