Player Performance Ratings - Sky Bet Championship & FA Cup

RamsPolls

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

Half time - 0-2 - Ince (6), Bent (15)

Full time score - 2-3 - Costa (61) Ince (77) Edwards (82)

Starting XI

Scott Carson

Cyrus Christie

Richard Keogh

Alex Pearce

Max Lowe

Bradley Johnson

Jacob Butterfield

Will Hughes

Tom Ince

Johnny Russell

Darren Bent

Substitutes that played

Jamie Hanson - Came on in the 46th minute for Cyrus Christie

Matěj Vydra - Came on in the 85th minute for Darren Bent

Craig Bryson - Came on in the 91st minute for Will Hughes

Scott Carson - 6 - Out of position a few times and not convincing from crosses. Not his best showing.

Cyrus Christie - 7.5 - Kept their winger quiet and was a great outlet to relieve pressure.

Richard Keogh - 6.5 - Gave the ball away too cheaply but did the defending part right with the goal line clearance.

Alex Pearce - 6.5 - Did the basics fairly well but like everyone else went missing for the Wolves goals.

Max Lowe - 7 - Gets a bit of leeway due to his age, put in a goal saving tackle. Needs work on positioning at times.

Bradley Johnson - 7.5 - Growing in to the holding role, a couple of loose passes but otherwise a good showing.

Jacob Butterfield - 6.5 - Unlucky not to score, needs to play the simple ball instead of giving it away cheaply.

Will Hughes - 8.5 - Pulled the strings, involved in almost everything. Cracking performance.

Tom Ince - 8.5 - Gave the Wolves left back a terrible time, showed real intent all match. My MOM.

Johnny Russell - 7 - Worked really hard, pressured the Wolves team in their own half. Solid display.

Darren Bent - 8.5 - Held the ball up as well as I have seen in his time here. Could have scored more.

Substitutes that played

Jamie Hanson - Came on in the 46th for Cyrus Christie - 6 - Really struggled under a lot of pressure. Learning experience.

Matěj Vydra - Came on in the 85th for Darren Bent - 6 - Should have scored but the keeper denied him.

Craig Bryson - Came on in the 91st for Will Hughes - N/A - Came on too late to really score him.

I thought Russell was really poor. I nearly turned on him, reminded me of Kenny Miller.

I think somewhere on SMc's to-do list is "Get Johnny motivated", if it's not, I'd be surprised, cos aside of a couple of minutes when he came on against Leeds, he's been on the back-foot and the team is leaving him behind.

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I thought he was solid enough on the left without creating much, he covers the fullback well thanks to the fact he looks like he can run all day. I can see how Anya would be better with Lowe though as Anya has a bit more experience of the defensive side of the game.

you say that, but his lack of anticipation (and maybe other things) could arguably be to blame for Wolves 1st goal.

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you say that, but his lack of anticipation (and maybe other things) could arguably be to blame for Wolves 1st goal.

It contributed but if I remember correctly Lowe was on the man that got the goal and completely failed to track the run leaving him all the time and space he would ever need. Both Wolves goals were really sloppy with multiple players completely losing track of the goalscorers and their positions.

My player ratings for the win away at Wolves on Saturday - 

Starting XI

Scott Carson - 6/10 - Made some good saves, also calmed the game down when needed by been powerful at their corners and set pieces and coming to claim the ball in the air. Other than a few shots made straight too him he didn't have much to do. Giving him a 6/10 because he was a culprit for their 1st goal and should have come out to the ball quicker and their 2nd he should have made himself big and not be beat at his near post. But other than them 2 events he had a solid afternoon.

Cyrus Christie - 6/10 - Good first half performance, good attacking threat and giving Ince support up the right hand side. Made a good tackle at the end of the first half which twisted his ankle and ended his afternoon. Hopefully it's not too serious as he has been in good form the past 2 games.

Richard Keogh - 7/10 - Solid performance yet again from the captain, didn't do a massive amount wrong. He did give the ball away a couple of times but never endangered the team. Made a goal line clearance to keep it at 0-2 in the second half. Won some good headers but the only thing he needs to improve on is to stop the crosses when he dragged out the RB position, That's 2 times now that we have been in the latter stages of a game and Keogh gets dragged out wide with their striker and he fails to stop the cross which ends up in a goal. Needs to improve on that.

Alex Pearce - 7/10 - Yet again another stern performance from Pearce. He really is impressing along side Keogh in the defence. He really looks to be enjoying his time in the first team and it would be ridiculous to have him replaced by Shackell unless it's a forced change. Didn't do anything wrong on Saturday and should be proud of his performance.

Max Lowe - 7/10 - Excellent from the young man. Crazy to think how good this kid can be in 5/6 years time. People on twitter saying he could be a future England LB, Which I agree with if he keeps his injuries in check. The only thing that Lowe did wrong was in their 1st goal he left his man to ghost behind him and get the tap in. He should have at least attempted to get in front of his man to stop him getting onto the pass from their striker. Other than that he played very well and I'm sure a lot of teams will be monitoring him after that performance. 

Bradley Johnson - 7/10 - Again like the others, He had a fairly solid game. Passed the ball well and quickly, Got the move going for the 1st goal from Ince where he spread the ball out to Lowe on the left. I still feel he needs to improve on his tackling as he does get beat ever now and again by a player running past him, Other than that he played well. 

Jacob Butterfield - 7/10 - Decent game for Butterfield. Didn't do anything wrong, Hit the post himself in the first half. Made some good runs supporting the wingers and the striker, a bit like Bryson in the 13/14 season he was everywhere it seemed. Needs to move the ball quicker still, Don't think I saw him hit one first time pass. Solid game for Butterfield and a good platform for him to work on.

Will Hughes - 8/10 - Excellent from Hughes, He ran that first half for us, Made their defence look like they were the league below. How we have managed to keep hold of Hughes over the past 3 seasons is beyond me. If we don't get promoted in the next 2/3 years he will be off I reckon because he will want to advance his career and look to bigger things. That pass for Bent's volley was out of this world. If Iniesta had of done that to assist Messi people would be talking about it for years, Pure class from Hughes to be able to do that in such a pressured situation with 4+ Wolves players around him. He has a very bright future.

Tom Ince - 9/10 - MOTM for me. Pure class from Ince on Saturday. Never looked out of place in this team and his attitude was first class. He was tracking back, tackling players and even winning headers. You can tell that he loves playing for McClaren and has been given an arm around him. He really is starting to show his 14/15 form. The tip of the performance was the way he won the penalty. That touch to bring down the pass was pure filth and the skills to win the penalty were something we haven't seen from Ince for a long time. It was a refreshing performance from the young man. People forget that he is still only 24 and has a long career ahead of him. 

Johnny Russell - 5/10 - Not on his game Saturday i'm afraid. Needs to improve massively, especially when we have 2 quality players like Anya & Weimann on the bench itching for some first team football. Worst player on the pitch by a country mile Saturday, didn't offer anything going forward.I saw a stat after the game that showed Max Lowe had more crosses and passes in the final 3rd than Johnny Russell, This is poor from Russell and he needs to improve or face sitting on the bench.

Darren Bent - 8/10 - Not sure what Bent's been eating since Mac came back but he looks like he is really enjoying his football again. That goal was like the Darren Bent of the 09/10 season for Sunderland. The technique on that finish was out of this world. Again like I said with Hughes, If Messi had of scored that Volley it would be talked about all over the country. Unfortunately Steve Sidwell decided to spoil the party and score from the half way line to beat Bent to goal of the day but it was still an unreal goal and he probably will remember that for a long time.

Substitutes that played

Jamie Hanson - 5/10 - Came on just after the 2nd half started for Christie, Didn't have the best of games. Needs to improve massively if he wants to be the cover for RB as he was too easily passed around and got beat by his man multiple times. Wolves recognised the weakness of Hanson early in the 2nd half and that's where most of their good play came from in the 2nd half. 

Matěj Vydra - 6/10 - Came on in the 85th minute for Darren Bent and had a good impact. Played fairly well by running the channels and collecting the ball from the clearances of our defence. Hit the post in the dying minutes of the game and should have really scored. Not sure if he has done enough to start a game yet and with Bent playing better in the past 2 games, I can't see him starting a game yet. 

Craig Bryson - Came on in the 90+1 minute for Will Hughes, Came on to see the game out and did just that. 

Overall - 7/10 Performance from the team - Great attacking football from the team but need to kill games off early. I know we hit the post and made their GK save a few in the first half but we need to be scoring most of our opportunities and killing teams off while they are struggling. But other than the 2 goals conceded it was a very good day at the office for our boys. 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It contributed but if I remember correctly Lowe was on the man that got the goal and completely failed to track the run leaving him all the time and space he would ever need. Both Wolves goals were really sloppy with multiple players completely losing track of the goalscorers and their positions.

I just think he's been caught on his heels too often in recent games. Very out of character.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

Half time - 0-2 - Ince (6), Bent (15)

Full time score - 2-3 - Costa (61) Ince (77) Edwards (82)

Starting XI

Scott Carson - 7

Cyrus Christie - 7

Richard Keogh - 7

Alex Pearce - 7

Max Lowe - 7

Bradley Johnson - 7

Jacob Butterfield - 7

Will Hughes - 9

Tom Ince - 8

Johnny Russell -7

Darren Bent - 7

Substitutes that played

Jamie Hanson - Came on in the 46th minute for Cyrus Christie - 6

Matěj Vydra - Came on in the 85th minute for Darren Bent - 7

Craig Bryson - Came on in the 91st minute for Will Hughes - 6

• 2 weeks later...

Player Ratings V Rovrum.

Frank Carson 6/10

Spent the afternoon dreamin’ about wrestlin’ bears & white water raftin’ with Burt Reynolds. Briefly interrupted by a firm shot to his near post which he beat away. Distribution was good, often rolling it out to a full-back...one hospital pass to Pearce nearly put us in trouble but otherwise blue skies, and salmon and the smell of pine forests...

Christopher Baird 6/10

The elephant in the room but a no nonsense solid display. Blimey...he even overlapped at one point, beat the full-back and crossed the ball. Baird is a lot better than we give him credit for he just needs to make friends with the fans again.

Richard Keogh 6/10

A very good game by the skipper; the churlish amongst us will point out the one time he lost the ball when trying to dwell with the ball. Luckily it came to nothing but briefly there was egg on his face...Otherwise some lovely surges and passes diagonally left.

Alex Pearce 6/10

I’m liking this boy more and more. Lovely sweet nature and very nice bloke he has come along in leaps and bounds. Very solid, his distribution is starting to look good and he looked to have scored with a bullet header but for a fine save from Camp Lee. Shackell is getting bored.

Max Lowe 7/10

Mature beyond his 19 years. Always available, controls the ball well, runs with malice and directness and has a lovely cross. Can also tackle very hard and shepherded the ball back with a cushion off his chest even though being harried by an opponent after Rovrum’s hard shot. A better left-back than Olson ...probably only a shade less good than Forsyth.

Johnson 5/10

Solid and combative. Lovely pinged header to assist Ince with goal 3 but that said, still prone to dawdle at times and give sloppy passes to an opponent. That is an attitude issue which requires some work. I’m sure Mac will be having words...

Hughes 7/10

A good show from Will without being very outstanding, but can do better. I can watch him play a pass all afternoon...he has a left foot that seems to work like a rudder...just when you think the boat is going right, it angles left. And there were some beautiful balletic moments when he pirhouetted and turned leaving opponents wondering where he’d gone to. Had a good shot late on which wasn’t too far away. Will is a creater who slips other players in with his fabulous 360 degree vision; he needs sometimes though to be greedy and go for goal more. Mac I’m sure is coaching Will to be just that player.

Butterfield 6/10

A very good game. Surging runs with the ball had Rovrum pressing the panic button. Butters though has gone into his shell a tad...he can do more and his shots have dried up . We need more goals from midfield and at present I’d back Bryson more to supply them.

Russell 5/10

A quiet game by JR’s high standards. Plenty of running but combinations didn’t quite come off today. Subbed for Weimann on 62 to a very solid applause from the Pride Park  iPro Pride Park supporters.

Bent 7/10

I’ve been a doubter but Benty is proving me wrong. He knows how to work defences for sure and really worked for the team. Much more mobile now when out of possession and is like a wasp buzzing around defenders noses, threatening to sting. Showed great class when taking his goal with simultaneous striding and kicking. He’s playing with a big smile and I think Bent will find the onion bag regularly if he can keep this form. Subbed for Vydra on 69 minutes to fine applause.

Ince 8/10 MotM

Scored 2 and was the stand-out performer. Rovrum couldn’t cope with him. Technically missed 2 penalties but both good saves by Camp. Set up Vydra with a sitter, courtesy of a fine back-heal after a neat triangle of quick passes.

Weimann 3/10 Didn’t get into the game...needs more game time but will the opportunity come?

Bryson 5/10 Did the Bryson graft. I want to see Bryson start. He can re-discover goals if given a run with Hughes.

Vydra 5/10. Undoubtedly will score goals. Looked quick and got involved as soon as he entered the field. Just needs to keep at it and take the next chance when it comes.

Management 7/10

3 points, 3 goals & another clean sheet (since Mac2  we haven’t conceded at home). Only the churlish people will point out the need to be more ruthless when the opposition are on the rack. The players love playing for Mac that is obvious; I’d like him to continue to praise post-match but also temper that with some constructive criticism of the team; not to single out players but to strike a balance to keep things developing. Love to know what he means by “educating the crowd”. Does he not realise I have CSE’s FFS!

Crowd

Good voice at times. Is the constant tormenting of Camp constructive? I think it helped Camp have a very good game yesterday. It’s banter yes but creeps over the line of acceptability on occasion. 

:mellow: 

Not sure I agree entirely - thought Bradley was close to MotM yesterday - won a huge number of headers and used his strength to break up play - he's really growing into the unfamiliar role that he's being asked to play. Also thought Will was trying a bit too hard at times and that made him miss control balls and play poorly weighted passes compared to his usual self.

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Not sure I agree entirely - thought Bradley was close to MotM yesterday - won a huge number of headers and used his strength to break up play - he's really growing into the unfamiliar role that he's being asked to play. Also thought Will was trying a bit too hard at times and that made him miss control balls and play poorly weighted passes compared to his usual self.

You are right - Johnson did do a lot of graft. Thank you for re-dressing the balance a bit. I like people to disagree and give me their versions. We are all biased observers and I think Freud said that originally. 

Bit harsh on Butterfield, who I'm no great fan of usually. Any team who let him get his head up and pick a pass will suffer for it and Rotherham did just that. Instrumental in the first two goals. It's when people get in his face and close him down when it becomes obvious why he's not in the same class as Hughes.

Very harsh on Johnson - was MoM for me. He must have won 8 clean headers in midfield and it just makes the centre halves life so much easier.

Archived