Craig Bryson

RamsPolls

For starters I rate Bryson highly, In the aftermath of Mac leaving 18 months ago, He looked to be one of the only few players who still cared about this club.

But this season he has been way off the pace. Is it age? He is about to hit the dreaded 30 mark.

I understand that this season he was asked to play in an unfamiliar system of 4-42 with Nigel Pearson but I still expected more energy and involvement from him. He hasn't impressed me in any of the games he has played this season. 

When Hughes came off last night, normally I would have been more than happy for Bryson to come on and take control of the midfield and lead from the front as we are all used to seeing. But last night he was one of the worst Derby players on that pitch. He had a very poor game, I don't remember him linking up with anyone with the ball, I don't remember him making one decent run beyond the oppositions back line. His passing was the worst I've ever seen from him, He must have passed the ball to a Brentford player at least 4 times. 

It's just not what we expect to see from Craig. 

What can be the cause of this? 

It can't be lack of game time because he played pretty much every minute of the Pearson era. I know that when McClaren left 18 months ago, he was one of the players who were hurt the most. And maybe he doesn't want to work under McClaren again? I'm not so sure, I can't see Bryson been that kind of guy in the changing room. He's a team player and no matter what has gone off in the past 2 years, he has always given his all.

So maybe i'm just been harsh for his poor start to the season.

Does anyone else have an explanation for this?

Just read that he is suspended for 1 game now due to his yellow card last night ticking him over to the 5 Yellow mark. Suspose this shows what he was having to do under the Pearson system, He was asked to break up play and get tackles in, Which everyone knows that this isn't Bryson's strong point. 

I really want Bryson to do well but just doesn't feel like the same Craig this season that has been here for 5+ years. Hopefully he can turn it around. 

Maybe another Hat-trick against the Reds would help :thumbsup:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has always, always taken half a dozen games to get up to speed.  If he misses a few games (because of injury, or resting or whatever) he's well below par for a bit, people go mental calling for him to be dropped/sold/shot etc and then all of a sudden it clicks and he's fine again.  That's why he played so well for McClaren first season, he just played pretty much every game.  The second season, and Clement's season as well, he was in and out of the team, competing with Hendrick picking up knocks etc and he never got going.  He just needs to play through this little spell and he'll be fine again.

On top of all that, his ridiculous misuse under Pearson will not have helped (no matter how much anyone wants him to, he'll never ever be a holding midfielder) and the complete inability of any of our forwards to hold up the ball will limit his effectiveness as well.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He has always, always taken half a dozen games to get up to speed.  If he misses a few games (because of injury, or resting or whatever) he's well below par for a bit, people go mental calling for him to be dropped/sold/shot etc and then all of a sudden it clicks and he's fine again.  That's why he played so well for McClaren first season, he just played pretty much every game.  The second season, and Clement's season as well, he was in and out of the team, competing with Hendrick picking up knocks etc and he never got going.  He just needs to play through this little spell and he'll be fine again.

On top of all that, his ridiculous misuse under Pearson will not have helped (no matter how much anyone wants him to, he'll never ever be a holding midfielder) and the complete inability of any of our forwards to hold up the ball will limit his effectiveness as well.

Spot on.............. Have a like

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

For starters I rate Bryson highly, In the aftermath of Mac leaving 18 months ago, He looked to be one of the only few players who still cared about this club.

But this season he has been way off the pace. Is it age? He is about to hit the dreaded 30 mark.

I understand that this season he was asked to play in an unfamiliar system of 4-42 with Nigel Pearson but I still expected more energy and involvement from him. He hasn't impressed me in any of the games he has played this season. 

When Hughes came off last night, normally I would have been more than happy for Bryson to come on and take control of the midfield and lead from the front as we are all used to seeing. But last night he was one of the worst Derby players on that pitch. He had a very poor game, I don't remember him linking up with anyone with the ball, I don't remember him making one decent run beyond the oppositions back line. His passing was the worst I've ever seen from him, He must have passed the ball to a Brentford player at least 4 times. 

It can't be lack of game time because he played pretty much every minute of the Pearson era. I know that when McClaren left 18 months ago, he was one of the players who were hurt the most. And maybe he doesn't want to work under McClaren again? I'm not so sure, I can't see Bryson been that kind of guy in the changing room. He's a team player and no matter what has gone off in the past 2 years, he has always given his all.

Just read that he is suspended for 1 game now due to his yellow card last night ticking him over to the 5 Yellow mark. Suspose this shows what he was having to do under the Pearson system, He was asked to break up play and get tackles in, Which everyone knows that this isn't Bryson's strong point. 

I really want Bryson to do well but just doesn't feel like the same Craig this season that has been here for 5+ years. Hopefully he can turn it around. 

How could we not score with that formation? Too many cooks etc?

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

I'm not sure what point you are making :unsure:

I think he's saying we should murder teams with 46 outfield players.

tip: If ever you're confused by someone's post, and they've quoted you, try looking for bits they've highlighted or made bold.

From what I've heard, if there is not a rebuild of his relationship with McClaren ( a hang over from Steves dealings with Craig last time rather than this time)  I can't see him being here past the summer, even January if we have any replacements lined up and someone comes in for him. 

I hope there is a rebuild and he refinds his form as that will be good news to us. 

4 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

I understand that this season he was asked to play in an unfamiliar system of 4-42 with Nigel Pearson but I still expected more energy and involvement from him. He hasn't impressed me in any of the games he has played this season. 

Really like this thoughtful post. My own feeling is that the comments could be applied to several players. Johnson and Butterfield as well. We just aren't seeing what they are capable of. I think with Craig we are at "peak oil" in terms of his physical ability. He isnt going to get any hungrier or quicker than he is now but there should be a of season or two of full power left in the tank. Players like Ince are different .. They have flashes of brilliance while with engine rooms like Craig we expect continuos output of a certain kind and he isn't delivering at the moment. He isn't alone. It has to be a mix of: games, confidence and most important ...  player pairings.  The issue is what is Steve's first team going to be ? Don't think Steve knows that yet as he will still be assessing who she has and who best gels with who. The biggest part of team play is often "me and my shadow" Brysons shadow in his purple patch was Hendrick. Ok he has gone .. So who is he pairing off with ? Butters ? Johnson ? WIll ? .. The package hasn't been settled yet. That is the biggest part of it and applies to the whole team. 

Wasnt it interesting how Anya and JR clicked last night while Ince and Cyrus aren't synced .. ? 

Absolutely dogshite last night, never got into the match despite having the majority of the game and so many attacks broke down with him seeming half asleep, we'd have won with someone else in there imo. You can't have someone playing that poorly in such a key position in the team, especially when we're playing such a fast paced game, I was extremely dissapointed by Craig yesterday, you would think he'd be really trying to get into the game and win his place in the team, but instead he just hid away..

6 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

I share your admiration for CB; however, I don't share your view of his game last night. He covered miles of the pitch and was chiefly engaged in robbing the ball off the opposition and cleaning and tidying up. Hughes brings out the best in CB and when they are playing together, the team tends to play very well and score goals. So:

1. Re-unite him with Hughes; give them a stretch of games.

2. Give Bryson freedom to roam.

3. Give him a centre-forward who can play with his back to goal and who can take the ball into his feet, and lay it back for Bryson (I wonder who that may be).

Pretty soon with 1-3 above, you will see Bryson ticking along like the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine that he is. Sadly, a few so-called managers have played him too deep, or simply don't see his sublime, under-stated brilliance. Rather like Bryson's gin-n-tonic-dry humour which often too goes unnoticed. Even the "PE teacher" could see Bryson's talent.  

14 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think he's saying we should murder teams with 46 outfield players.

tip: If ever you're confused by someone's post, and they've quoted you, try looking for bits they've highlighted or made bold.

Ahhhhhhh, as I made a few lines bold myself I missed the error that he pointed out.

My bad.

32 minutes ago, Simsy said:

If anyone is pointing out a CM to crucify it should be Butterfield.

cant beat the first man in his corners had about 20 shots this season all blazed miles over and kept giving the ball away.

Sorry but Bryson was way worse than him tuesday night.

36 minutes ago, Simsy said:

If anyone is pointing out a CM to crucify it should be Butterfield.

cant beat the first man in his corners had about 20 shots this season all blazed miles over and kept giving the ball away.

His pass accuracy for this season is the highest in the squad at 84%...................

Archived