Ikechi Anya

RamsPolls

44 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Exactly, to be honest I was extremely disappointed in Vydra's moment off the ball last night. Numerous times Anya, Christie or Ince got to the Bi-line and he was pulling off to the edge of the box for a pull back leaving no one in the 6 yard box. 

I can't blame him for doing this as it's what he has done for most of his championship career as he was partnered with Deeney who would occupy the 6 yard box while he would drift back to get a pull back. But unfortunatly we don't have a Deeney type figure at the club :whistle:

Anya and Vydra ran riot in this league when they partnered with Deeney. I would love to see Martin return and play that role.

Vydra is so good technically but so many times last night he was having to drop into midfield to find the ball. Now is that his fault or the midfields? It needs to be worked on 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Vydra is so good technically but so many times last night he was having to drop into midfield to find the ball. Now is that his fault or the midfields? It needs to be worked on 

I think it's a bit of both. He is used to dropping off or going over the top of defenders because Deeney would be the one receiving the ball, Not him.

Now that he is the main man and everyone is looking to give him the ball then he doesn't really know what to do. I must say I was disappointed when we got rid of martin and didn't replace him with someone similar.

Him & Vydra could be lethal at this level just like Vydra & Deeney were.

He does tend to pick up little injuries though, 

He's already had to go off in 2 home games already this season due to an injury.

Granted he hasn't missed a game through injury but it's still frustrating that one of our brightest players keeps going off.

23 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

He does tend to pick up little injuries though, 

He's already had to go off in 2 home games already this season due to an injury.

Granted he hasn't missed a game through injury but it's still frustrating that one of our brightest players keeps going off.

Can hardly blame him after that challenge from Bartley in the Leeds game.

52 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Really?

Says who?

I thought I had read that he was (somewhere) when he first came, it may be to do with his parents being intellectuals and may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek.

I made the comment in a throwaway manner - like we were having a conversation in a pub... Knew it would bite me in the ass. 

Good but also frustrating so far; bags of pace, excellent attitude, superb commitment and workrate, but lacking in end product. in essence, exactly what the Watford fans told us to expect.

Counted several times yesterday in the first half where he got in a good position and delivered the ball without getting his head up and seeing what was going on in front of him, and so the pass/cross didn't hit a Derby player. He wasn't along mind, the quality and decision making from everyone in the final third last night was poor.

Good player, just a bit of awareness lacking from his game so far.

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I thought once anya went to wing back I thought both him and Russell trusted each other and it looked very promising unlike our right hand side

Agreed - They looked very solid and Russell also tracked back when Anya was further forward.

Our right hand side was very poor last night, Ince didn't do a great deal & Christie had a few Cafu moments.

As an east stander in block I in front of where the challenged happened it was a definite foul. I'd also have given a yellow as his studs were raised. The ref was unsighted by another player so I can see why he didn't give it though. 

Was a little disappointed with Russell to be honest. Anya at left back was ok but Russell hindered more than helped for me, he kept drifting into the middle leaving Anya isolated.

Could really work as an attaching threat though if they play together some more. 

2 minutes ago, England Ram said:

As an east stander in block I in front of where the challenged happened it was a definite foul. I'd also have given a yellow as his studs were raised. The ref was unsighted by another player so I can see why he didn't give it though. 

Was a little disappointed with Russell to be honest. Anya at left back was ok but Russell hindered more than helped for me, he kept drifting into the middle leaving Anya isolated.

Could really work as an attaching threat though if they play together some more. 

The only issue is that our LB's aren't really the problem at the moment, It's our right hand side. 

Olsson & Lowe can do a good job down the left but we have only Baird for cover of Christie. This worries me

"He wants our front three, in the case of the Brentford game, me, Tom (Ince) and Vyds (Matej Vydra), to be positive," said Anya.

"And if we lose the ball being attacking, he's fine with that, as long as we put the work in to try to get it back.

"It's good to have that sort of freedom."

Think the bold quote says it all about Pearson, really. And backs what I've been saying.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/it-s-a-privilege-to-be-working-under-steve-mcclaren-says-rams-man-ikechi-anya/story-29822734-detail/story.html#gKSREJXLzQ5tJZfD.99

12 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well no free kick was given.

Aha, true. Should have put in the referee's eyes at the end..

What I found confusing is if McClaren was prepared to play the last 15 minutes with him at left back to try and win the game, why wasn't he prepared to do that from the beginning?

We know Baird was never going to 'bomb on'. I just found it rather strange.

Start with Anya there, win the game, then bring Baird on. (Although Baird is not a player I rate but the concept of the defensive substitution I can understand)

25 minutes ago, rammieib said:

What I found confusing is if McClaren was prepared to play the last 15 minutes with him at left back to try and win the game, why wasn't he prepared to do that from the beginning?

Start with Anya there, win the game, then bring Baird on. (Although Baird is not a player I rate but the concept of the defensive substitution I can understand)

Probably to make sure we didn't lose the game. 

I understand your point but it would be a massive risk especially when we were at home. Needed to make sure we had a foothold in the game and build from that.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

exactly this.

Anya for all his running doesn't score many goals looking at his career. I would look to play him full back. Maybe instead of Christie!

If playing a more attacking full back (which he has played before) is going for it then I am a little worried with Macs attacking intention. For me going for it is bringing another striker on, not going like for like and staying with 1 up top.

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Probably to make sure we didn't lose the game. 

I understand your point but it would be a massive risk especially when we were at home. Needed to make sure we had a foothold in the game and build from that.

But Macs approach last time he was here was to go and win games, so why now, at home to Brentford do you suddenly go defensive?

That's the Pearson and probably Clement philosophy. Don't lose. I'd sooner lose a game whilst being bold and going for the win than go home with a 0-0 draw. Draws get you relegated, wins get you promotion etc

If Forsyth was fit he would be playing, and he is attacking... (Most of the time).

Russell would have been on a high from the previous weekend - confidence is huge in sport etc

I know its hindsight, but I didn't get this. Anya LB, Russell in front should have been the formation from the off.

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But Macs approach last time he was here was to go and win games, so why now, at home to Brentford do you suddenly go defensive?

That's the Pearson and probably Clement philosophy. Don't lose. I'd sooner lose a game whilst being bold and going for the win than go home with a 0-0 draw. Draws get you relegated, wins get you promotion etc

If Forsyth was fit he would be playing, and he is attacking... (Most of the time).

Russell would have been on a high from the previous weekend - confidence is huge in sport etc

I know its hindsight, but I didn't get this. Anya LB, Russell in front should have been the formation from the off.

I think he wanted to give him a taste there rather than throwing him into the deep end. He did play there for Watford but he was more of a wing back in a back 5 if I recall so bit of a different role. Brentford are really good attacking wise too so it would have been risky to have him play the full 90 there.

Archived