Fm 17

Simon Bradley

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always manage Derby on FM, simply don't have the time to start any alt saves of other clubs :)

The new/redesigned team analysis page is fantastic (the screen showing the pros n cons of your team; similar layout to a scout report)

Barely wrapped up preseason and the social feed is getting under my skin already though...

The 7.0.2 update is just out now for anyone who has already been running the beta; so far the processing and loading times seem to be much smoother/snappier than '16 which is a good sign

34 minutes ago, rhysbeck said:

I always manage Derby on FM, simply don't have the time to start any alt saves of other clubs :)

The new/redesigned team analysis page is fantastic (the screen showing the pros n cons of your team; similar layout to a scout report)

Barely wrapped up preseason and the social feed is getting under my skin already though...

The 7.0.2 update is just out now for anyone who has already been running the beta; so far the processing and loading times seem to be much smoother/snappier than '16 which is a good sign

FM has a 64 bit version for the first time, if your PC is up to it Steam will download that version and in theory it should see that part of the game improved.

One thing I think it's been missing for years now is the drag & drop map of where you want your players to be positioned in defense & attack.  Use to love flogging my players to death by having them lined up on either box depending which way the ball was going...

I haven't played it for years, but would like to start up again.

What's the best way in, my tablet is too old for touch (Ipad 2), and the laptop is a bog standard £400 one, so probably not up to it.

Don't mind spending a bit on hardware, any recommendations?

On 24/10/2016 at 13:22, RicME85 said:

FM has a 64 bit version for the first time, if your PC is up to it Steam will download that version and in theory it should see that part of the game improved.

Ah no sorry Macbook Pro here

Planning to buy something new as soon as I have time to sit down and look over specs n details n stuff. For now my mid-2010 veteran mbp still handles an impressive number of leagues loaded , processing is still good, etc.  Can't believe it still puts up with all the multitasking stuff I make it do daily and hasn't died on me yet!

Bought it a new SSD and 16gb mem last year after it really began to struggle with all the FM graphics I kept adding and it's given it a new lease on life. The game loads twice as fast now and I regret not buying new parts sooner!

The last one I played was the 02-03 season I think. Played 95 onwards played many many hours during those games with my mates.

Didn't play after the 02-03 started to get boring and everyone was easy even if you start from a bad team (Guess it's to keep your interest). Once you get to a certain point you'd 'Go on holiday' for about 4-5 years!

My last one was FM13, took Newport County to League 1, then I applied for the vacant DCFC position as they were relegation fodder from the PL. Saved us, next season missed out on the Europa League on last day of that season, season after got us into the Europa League places, but resigned at the beginning of the next season as the board wouldn't provide me extra transfer funds or widen my scouting pool outside of Europe (It was still hard to attract any decent players to Derby, stature wasn't high enough). 

This may make me the worst FM player ever but since the Championship Manager Amiga games - where it seemed impossible not to win leagues I have probably only had 9 or 10 long term games where I have been successful spanning 20 years and probably 10 or so editions of the game.

The demo of the last version put me off with the setting up of the manager - both visually and skills wise.  It seemed to me that the ingame decisions you make should decide your manager skills rather than distributing a set number of points across categories.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

So what's the final verdict on FM 17? Worth downloading/buying? 

bought it on Friday, played a few games. Using a 3-4-1-2 formation. Sacked Phillips and bought in Scholes. Only signed one player, a Slovakian from Stoke called Teixeira. Paid £850k for him and he's played every league game and ave rating is about 7.88. I'm also top of the league having won all but one league game (drew Barnsley away). Have beaten Burton, Preston, Brighton, Villa, and a couple of EFL cup games too. But yeah, Mel Morris thinks my ONLY signing was bad financially! Uncle Mel you maniac, you let Clement spunk over £3m on Blackmen, but criticise me for £850k!

I've let Christie go on loan to QPR for about £300k a month (plus wages). I turned down a crap Burnley bid for Johnson and he spat his dummy.

But still getting used to the game.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

bought it on Friday, played a few games. Using a 3-4-1-2 formation. Sacked Phillips and bought in Scholes. Only signed one player, a Slovakian from Stoke called Teixeira. Paid £850k for him and he's played every league game and ave rating is about 7.88. I'm also top of the league having won all but one league game (drew Barnsley away). Have beaten Burton, Preston, Brighton, Villa, and a couple of EFL cup games too. But yeah, Mel Morris thinks my ONLY signing was bad financially! Uncle Mel you maniac, you let Clement spunk over £3m on Blackmen, but criticise me for £850k!

I've let Christie go on loan to QPR for about £300k a month (plus wages). I turned down a crap Burnley bid for Johnson and he spat his dummy.

But still getting used to the game.

Are you playing the indepth or streamline version. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the update. Might actually buy it. 

Just now, Gypsy Ram said:

Are you playing the indepth or streamline version. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the update. Might actually buy it. 

I play the full version. I enjoy the changing of coaches and scouts and the scouting and training setup as much as anything.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Steam users verdict is quite negative. 1979 votes, 1241 negatives.

Maybe the game is just updated database like usually?

One thing that I'm really glad they fixed is players taking shots from terrible angles instead of playing it across the goal. Seems like that was an issue in all the others I played. 

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

I haven't bought FM15 or FM16, so my jump isn't influenced by playing what came between. Reviews I have read that are negative are mainly players of FM16 not seeing the benefits of the new game.

21 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Chinese users have been inflating the negative reviews as Miles wouldnt do a translated version for them and riled them up. SEGA stepped in and has since told SI to do it 

Archived