Bradley Johnson's Crown of Thornes...

IronRam 140.6

....is today's telgraph back page headline. Basically offering up yet another human sacrifice to the God of Defensive Midfielders.

It did make me think one thing though.

Bradley in these last few games has shown me enough there is potentially a decent backup to Thorne. Better than previous incumbents anyway.

Then a eureka moment! Could BJ do the ball winning bit (tackling mainly, blocks are a bit different - Thorne should still be expected to do this) ALONGSIDE Georgie Jelly knees and possibly shield him from that side of Def Mid duty??? It would allow a more solid 4-2-3-1 set up as a deviation/plan B from the usual 4-3-3. Especially against the tougher teams. 

I really worry about Thorne having to do the rough stuff on his own.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

....is today's telgraph back page headline. Basically offering up yet another human sacrifice to the God of Defensive Midfielders.

It did make me think one thing though.

Bradley in these last few games has shown me enough there is potentially a decent backup to Thorne. Better than previous incumbents anyway.

Then a eureka moment! Could BJ do the ball winning bit (tackling mainly, blocks are a bit different - Thorne should still be expected to do this) ALONGSIDE Georgie Jelly knees and possibly shield him from that side of Def Mid duty??? It would allow a more solid 4-2-3-1 set up as a deviation/plan B from the usual 4-3-3. Especially against the tougher teams. 

I really worry about Thorne having to do the rough stuff on his own.

Not a bad shout kid

Positive - it would stop is being bullied by teams with 'ugly' midfielders (of all varieties) that have stopped us playing in the past. This would involve George and Bradders ball winning and then driving on (BJ) or playmaking (GT) however with 2 disciplined CM's, you need the wingers to either support the CAM (Will) Tom boy I'm looking at you, or get up near the striker to create space.

It seems a good idea on paper, however imo if we played that sort of formation with 2 out and out defensive minded midfielders like Thorne and Johnson, I think we'd see too much of a gap appearing in the middle of the park and start struggling to start off attacks. It's certainly an option however, but would take a lot of work to build a system that allows a front 4 to almost act almost separately to the 2 defensive midfielders. I'd say that Johnson after seeing him recently tho is finally that Thorne backup we've needed for so long, albeit a very expensive one, but he now has a clear role within our team and system imo

I like the IDEA but it would not work unless they stayed closer to Hughes than to the back four. Our biggest issue for me has been getting the ball forward often enough and quick enough along with having more than one player close to the flipping goal. There s also the added issue of whether this would make is very narrow ? 

Just random thoughts but part of the decision making mix. 

30 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It seems a good idea on paper, however imo if we played that sort of formation with 2 out and out defensive minded midfielders like Thorne and Johnson, I think we'd see too much of a gap appearing in the middle of the park and start struggling to start off attacks. It's certainly an option however, but would take a lot of work to build a system that allows a front 4 to almost act almost separately to the 2 defensive midfielders. I'd say that Johnson after seeing him recently tho is finally that Thorne backup we've needed for so long, albeit a very expensive one, but he now has a clear role within our team and system imo

Johnson isn't just an out and out holding midfielder though, just like against Leeds he can bring the ball forward and does have a decent range of passing. If Thorne is next to him it would give a little more freedom to go and bring the ball forward.

In the first McClaren season we has The Eust in the DM role... Before he was suspended and we had to give loanee George Thorne at home against Forest...

After all the coincidences on Saturday anyone thinking Thorne's injury timetable might be nice for an early December return?

31 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Johnson isn't just an out and out holding midfielder though, just like against Leeds he can bring the ball forward and does have a decent range of passing. If Thorne is next to him it would give a little more freedom to go and bring the ball forward.

Yeah I think he's obviously more forward thinking than Thorne, but I still think we'd struggle for creativity with both throne and him in there, Johnson is a compentent passer, but I still think Hughes would be more suited to a role alongside Thorne in that system purely for his creativity with the ball

This may well work, however currently our forwards need to start firing to release the pressure from the back 5. If this happens I don't think there will be a need for two defensive midfielders. 

Two years ago under Mac our best form of defence was to attack. With these set of players I still believe this is still the case

47 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

I do hope you're not including Saint Eustace in those previous incumbents.

steustace.jpg

:wub:

Wouldn't dare. He was a bona fide CDM previous to Thorne and a bit of old fashioned "you go past me and I'll chop you down as I can't run very fast"  player. Much like myself . .

We've struggled since.

Archived