McClaren's First Interview

Nuwtfly

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

In fairness I liked Pearson's interviews and you couldn't do a better job considering how crap we were playing and being unable to win. He pulled no punches. He did come across as antagonistic which would work if he was getting wins. Lose and be brash and you just seem like a sourpuss . 

i like listening to Jorgen Klopp and guardiola talk specifics : e.g.  sweeper keeper and gegenpress so these DCFC manager interviews are all fluff and junk to me. You learn pretty much next to nothing. 

Im looking forward to Mel stepping forward and telling us very publicly what this plan is : the new Derby Way. Be nice to know what we are going to watch. 

I see where you're coming from regarding NP but I felt that he really didn't want to do the media side of things regardless of the performances, I disagreed with some posters in a previous thread about the view on whether Managers should communicate with fans through the media (after the no interview for Radio Derby), Chris Powell taking over the Simmo pre match interview will be good to hear also.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

You're joking? Half the fans I've spoke to are 'expecting'(!) the play offs this season - I don't care what players you have, getting a team from this position at this stage of the season to top 6 is a mammoth task.

I disagree. I think expectations are pretty low. At this point relegation is more likely than playoffs - who are we kidding ? We've been beaten to death with bad football from Clement to Pearson. Pass back and sideways 20 times, and THEN hoof it long to their goalkeeper. A static forward line. No movement off the ball. all That. At the games people are just numb from the dross that I think if we lose 5-4 to Leeds in an end to end affair, we'd be smiling. Judgement reserved 

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

do you think Newcastle were too good to go down?

Personally, l don't think anyone on here would argue Newcastle were too good to go down last season, but as Benitez evidenced quite quickly the squad that Mac was in charge of could perform a lot better than they did under him. Look at the premiership stats after Mac was given the push. Good player coach and man manager l don't argue, but Mac is a long way from having sound tactical nous, and he has a serious weakness organising an effective defence.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Personally, l don't think anyone on here would argue Newcastle were too good to go down last season, but as Benitez evidenced quite quickly the squad that Mac was in charge of could perform a lot better than they did under him. Look at the premiership stats after Mac was given the push. Good player coach and man manager l don't argue, but Mac is a long way from having sound tactical nous, and he has a serious weakness organising an effective defence.

personally, in the same way I thought Nigel Clough needed someone to fill certain 'voids' in the skill-set, McClaren is similar. But my hope of hopes is that he goes positive again, and we have slightly better players and more depth and avoid a mental crumble.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The thing is that Rafa Benitez is one of the best manager's in the world, with an absolutely fantastic CV. And even he couldn't completely stop the rot. 

9 minutes ago, Pearson said:

And were they wrong in the final analysis?

If you genuinely think that, then you are an even wronger than I give you credit for being.

3 minutes ago, Pearson said:

And were they wrong in the final analysis?

Let's see, he took over a mid table side and turned them into promotion contenders playing the best damn football we've seen at Derby since the 90s. A side that was promotion bound until we lost the entire spine of our team and their cover all to long term injuries in the space of a fortnight. 

I'd say they were wrong in their 'Analysis', yes.

Also is this same 'they' who predicted your namesake would be a success...........

I think it was a "well done" interview.

For me, i was glad his sacking / ending was addressed first up, yes, it did sour things, but it's gone now - not over done but done.

Thereafter, yes, it's what we all wanted to hear, but it came off as pretty honest and he's clearly glad to be back in the game.

Lets hope the team and fans respond positively.

He's a good coach and gets a lot of bad press. But he trys to play the right way. He has voids but so do most managers at this level. Thats why they manage in the championship. Let mac put in some solid foundations and style if play, get us up & take it from there 

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Let's see, he took over a mid table side and turned them into promotion contenders playing the best damn football we've seen at Derby since the 90s. A side that was promotion bound until we lost the entire spine of our team and their cover all to long term injuries in the space of a fortnight. 

I'd say they were wrong in their 'Analysis', yes.

Also is this same 'they' who predicted your namesake would be a success...........

His poor signings in the transfer window and consequential team selections led to our demise.

My “namesake” never had the opportunity to deliver...simple as!

I had to stop the interview after a minute just to get the laughing at his hair out of the way so I could actually listen. 

I just want to look forward to match days again. I'm not thrilled or disappointed by his return, just happy Pearson and his boring as hell tactics and odd team selections have gone. Here's hoping for an era of creating some entertainment. 

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

"It was really just an unfortunate end to my tenure here that has really soured things. For myself, staff, players, supporters and, yeah, I've got to accept some responsibility for that. And I do."

Really interesting interview overall. 

What are peoples thoughts on it?

It takes a man to man up and admit that he is not infallible.

We need to forgive and move on.

Treat yourself to a trilby Steve, and get CM back from Fulham ASAP!

Archived