Memorable moments ( featuring " useless Dawkins " quite a bit )

Alph

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ramos said:

to be fair even if he was completely useless booing a player during the warm up beggars belief.

I seem to remember Dawkins having man of the match performances against blackpool and huddersfield, but we were told by many it's only because it was blackpool and huddersfield. 

In centre mid.

I'd have used him instead of buying Johnson! 

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Dawkins never beat a man, instead he created little triangles that achieved the same aim, often better.

Too clever for his own good, certainly too clever for Clement.

He did what Hughes did on the opposite wing. Because Dawks was a winger though he got flak because he didn't execute people's pre-conceived idea of what a winger should be doing. 

Dawkins was a real player who, due to having little football in his younger years, was still raw when he came to us despite being in his mid 20s. Quite a strange career path but nonetheless he had great technical ability, but struggled for conisistency, which I would blame on the lack of games he got while devolping. I still feel with further coaching and more games he'd have gained consistency and become a real player, but there we go

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Just looked up Dawkins passing percentage whilst at Derby, it was 87%.....

Not surprised, the ball was literally glued to his foot and he only ever looked for the 5 yard pass, which worked so well under Mac before because of how we would pass and move and get men in and around each other. I'm really hoping we can replicate the style, but I know it's not going to be like flicking a switch. It may take a lot longer this time for Mac to get us playing actual football again. 

Just now, Ramos said:

Not surprised the ball was literally glued to his foot and he only ever looked for the 5 yard pass, which worked so well under Mac before because of how we would pass and move and get men in and around each other. I'm really hoping we can replicate the style, but I know it's not going to be like flicking a switch. It may take a lot longer this time for Mac to get us playing actual football again 

It just makes me wish we didn't sack him in the first place.

Just now, brady1993 said:

It just makes me wish we didn't sack him in the first place.

Well me and my mates kept saying when Mel was going on about this Derby way stuff, it isn't the Derby way, it was Mac's way and you sacked him. At least he's come to his senses. I don't pay too much attention to McClaren's time at Newcastle because lets face it apart from one good year under Pardew, who has actually done the job Newcastle seem to think they deserve in what the last 10, 15 years? 

Even when he looked in trouble, he'd somehow come out of it with the ball at his feet!

How I miss someone who loves the ball at his feet, and doesn't just make a guess at a pass.

Before anyone starts, he wasn't perfect, but he was good enough for us.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Just looked up Dawkins passing percentage whilst at Derby, it was 87%.....

Bryson is high as well I think. 

Like Revel and Cannable said it was very much his position on paper that made people judge him based on more traditional wing play. 

But he was doing what Martin was doing. Sucking everything into the opponents third. Then like Hughes he'd find a teammate facing the right way in a position to do damage. 

His weakness was the same as Hughes too. No killer instinct to go for it himself. To directly hurt the opposition. 

But that's what Russell, Ward, Hendrick, Bryson, Martin, Forsyth and Thorne would do. 

Not that he was the best player we could dream of having. But being booed and dismissed by so many? Why? 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Bryson's, Hughes's and Thorne's are all above 85% but Dawkins's is the highest. After that it drops off to Hendrick with 82% I think.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Like Revel and Cannable said it was very much his position on paper that made people judge him based on more traditional wing play. 

But he was doing what Martin was doing. Sucking everything into the opponents third. Then like Hughes he'd find a teammate facing the right way in a position to do damage. 

His weakness was the same as Hughes too. No killer instinct to go for it himself. To directly hurt the opposition. 

But that's what Russell, Ward, Hendrick, Bryson, Martin, Forsyth and Thorne would do. 

It's almost as if he had a specific role in a cohesive system, one which played to his strengths, a role that got the most out of players around him.

What a strange and funny concept.....

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Even when he looked in trouble, he'd somehow come out of it with the ball at his feet!

How I miss someone who loves the ball at his feet, and doesn't just make a guess at a pass.

Before anyone starts, he wasn't perfect, but he was good enough for us.

It's what I love about players like him and Hughes, they truly cherish keeping the ball and always seem to squirm out of tricky situations with the ball at their feet when they seemingly have no right too. 

Dawkins was terrfic for parts of his first season. Particularly remember him being the star man when the rest of the team was struggling in that winless goaless drought just before the Forest 5-0.

but in McClarens 2nd season we never really saw him turn up. When he wasnt being left out, or on extended international duty he had horrid personal issues. Big fall from grace if you ask me.

Derby havent been the same team since Dawkins and Ward left the club.

37 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Not that he was the best player we could dream of having. But being booed and dismissed by so many? Why? 

I admit when we first signed him on loan I was one of those that questioned what he brought to the table. Remember me and @Mostyn6 having a few discussions on it. Took me a while to understand his role in the team but at the start of the 14/15 season it clicked for me and I really liked him.

I find it funny that I was one of very few that spoke out that they didn't see his worth at first but as the more people came out the more I started to get it and the more I liked him.

Dawkins was my favourite Derby player. Technically brilliant for Championship level.

Too many couldn't see it and abused him for not getting his head down and running in a straight line towards the by-line. He offered us great balance and providd the perfect link between defence and attack.

Dawkins hardly ever lost or wasted the ball either. Yet the English phenomenon of not understanding good players don't run around like headless chickens meant many fans never truly appreciated him. I would say he would be the outstanding player in THIS team this season. He was largely unflappable when trusted.

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

I admit when we first signed him on loan I was one of those that questioned what he brought to the table. Remember me and @Mostyn6 having a few discussions on it. Took me a while to understand his role in the team but at the start of the 14/15 season it clicked for me and I really liked him.

I find it funny that I was one of very few that spoke out that they didn't see his worth at first but as the more people came out the more I started to get it and the more I liked him.

It's understandable though. When you see a winger in any team you assume his job is to get into opponents territory and face the right way. 

He just used to bring the best out of others. Forsyth, central midfielders and Martin anyway

Archived