POLL: (requested by Anon). McClaren's objectives; What is acceptable

Mostyn6

what final league position fans would find acceptable enough to keep McClaren?  

291 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted avoid relegation. I would hope for much better than simply avoiding relegation, but I wouldn't get rid for any positional reason other than relegation. I think that team spirit and performances are far more important, and honestly don't see why we can't be pushing for play offs, but they aren't the most important thing at the moment (no, I'm not Mel :D)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question was 'acceptable', not 'what are you hoping for'. On that basis. and the fact that it's going to need time to bale out the Titanic, I've gone for 12 wins 12 draws and 11 losses in our remaining 35 matches. That would give us 59 points which would probably take us in to the 11-14 category. I think that counts as acceptable.

No Martin or Hendrick, Forsyth and Thorne injured. It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out.

What we dont want is unrealistic expectations. because that is what taints england managers and it seems anyone who manages derby county or aston villa.

We are just above the relegation zone.... so put away your stupid FACTS about how great our squad is, or how we have been under performing.

Ths most important thing for me, is we give him time, I do not want to see him being sacked in May and back we go to square one with no idea. If we avoid relegation thats a start. getting top half now I would see as a good return from the rest of the season. But realistically I think 14-20th is more accurate.

Lastly, and I think this is important. I think our recruitment since McClaren left last time have been pretty dire. We dont have a true CF at the club now Martin has gone, and we dont have a single Holding midfielder whilst Thorne is injured. two positions pivotal to the way we want to play. So for gods sakes demanding rams fans, give Macca at least one transfer window if not two before you judge him and judge us.

7 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I voted avoid relegation. I would hope for much better than simply avoiding relegation, but I wouldn't get rid for any positional reason other than relegation. I think that team spirit and performances are far more important, and honestly don't see why we can't be pushing for play offs, but they aren't the most important thing at the moment (no, I'm not Mel :D)

Agree 100%.

Relegation is the only outcome where I might want to sack McClaren. WE have had 4 managers in a year FFS,

Please Mel, keep this latest one, allow him to build before you pull your happy trigger. Even if we do finish 20th. The softly softly approach is needed now.

2 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

What we dont want is unrealistic expectations. because that is what taints england managers and it seems anyone who manages derby county or aston villa.

We are just above the relegation zone.... so put away your stupid FACTS about how great our squad is, or how we have been under performing.

Ths most important thing for me, is we give him time, I do not want to see him being sacked in May and back we go to square one with no idea. If we avoid relegation thats a start. getting top half now I would see as a good return from the rest of the season. But realistically I think 14-20th is more accurate.

Lastly, and I think this is important. I think our recruitment since McClaren left last time have been pretty dire. We dont have a true CF at the club now Martin has gone, and we dont have a single Holding midfielder whilst Thorne is injured. two positions pivotal to the way we want to play. So for gods sakes demanding rams fans, give Macca at least one transfer window if not two before you judge him and judge us.

I think that our recruitment even when McClaren was here could be classed as pretty dire. Yes I know that Thorne was signed by Mac, but he came here first on loan and enjoyed it so much that he wanted to stay. The loan signings as a whole were pretty damned good. Mac's record for signing players has been, let's be honest, fairly poor throughout his career. I would like us to take good young players on loan. Bring their careers on. Let them taste first team football and actually want to play for this club. Mel is here now and if he really wants to sign a player he can realistically sign most young players. Try before you buy. It has to be the way forward ?

8 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I think that our recruitment even when McClaren was here could be classed as pretty dire. Yes I know that Thorne was signed by Mac, but he came here first on loan and enjoyed it so much that he wanted to stay. The loan signings as a whole were pretty damned good. Mac's record for signing players has been, let's be honest, fairly poor throughout his career. I would like us to take good young players on loan. Bring their careers on. Let them taste first team football and actually want to play for this club. Mel is here now and if he really wants to sign a player he can realistically sign most young players. Try before you buy. It has to be the way forward ?

There is a couple things I'd like to say about that. Firstly wasn't Steve Evans in charge of recruitment and not McClaren ? Secondly most of the players that were bought in his tenure were squad players bought on the cheap. With only really Thorne being brought in as a definite first team player for a reasonable fee.

23 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

There is a couple things I'd like to say about that. Firstly wasn't Steve Evans in charge of recruitment and not McClaren ? Secondly most of the players that were bought in his tenure were squad players bought on the cheap. With only really Thorne being brought in as a definite first team player for a reasonable fee.

No, it was Chris Evans. Steve Evans is a big, slug-like, Scottish oaf, famous for wearing a sombrero and financial irregularities.

I voted but really don't care about league position...just entertain me!

Make me look forward to matches again.

Make me think that spending £100 on an away day is money well spent rather than another chunk of my kids inheritance down the drain.

Anything beyond that is a bonus.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Yes, I'm aware of both your points. McClaren can only ever be as good in his signings as his scouts (the same as any manager), but he had the final say and throughout his career he's been fairly hit and more often miss (Newcastle as a recent example). As for your second point, that's why I said that now Mel is here we can hopefully pick off a few of the loan players for ourselves. I honestly don't know who the scouts are now. Did the bloke from Spurs ever sign up with us? I rate Mac as a coach, just a poor judge of signings (or perhaps chief scout). Please Mel, the most important signing after the manager, or perhaps even more important than the manager, is the chief scout. If the manager has quality players or rough diamonds to work with and he's any good at his job then we're on to a winner. Give him poor players and he can only do so much. All that said, and I'm fairly sure that a while back I said that I wouldn't take Mac back on another thread, I am now actually pleased that he's here.

No option for playing good football. Your polls are truly sh!te @Mostyn6 :ph34r:

Anyroads, good football, that's all that matters now. We've had the expensive players = poor team scenario, hopefully, Mac will review what made the 13/14 team so attractive. Decent players with a superb team ethic, players with heart and commitment like Eustace and Buxton allowing more gifted team mates the freedom to attack without fear.

9 hours ago, europia said:

I would expect that at best we will finish between 7th - 10th position. I am not sure how much this will tell us, as it's likely that Powell would have achieved that much.

Tend to agree. It didn’t take long for CP to turn things around. If he’d continued as manager I’d have expected Chris to finish somewhere top 10 with more entertaining football than anything seen under NP or even PC.

Very little is out of the question at this stage. There are still 35 games to play and 105 points to play for, we mustn't forget.

I think it's probably worthwhile not to get too far ahead of ourselves as the landscape of this division can and will change very rapidly and dramatically. We play 13 games in 11 weeks. This period of games will be pivotal and will most probably set the tone for the rest of the season, for better or for worse. It really could go either way.

If you look at what McClaren achieved in that span during his first tenure, it was nine wins and 29 points collected including a run of seven consecutive wins.

Could he get a similar response from this group of players? Anything is possible but I have my doubts. But that shows you how quickly, drastically and unexpectedly a team's fortunes can change when the manager gets them galvanised and onside. 

Finishing as champions or in the top two seemed a bridge too far at the start of the season, so that shouldn't even enter the discussion. We are already 10-12 points behind where we might have reasonably expected to be. You could say our season starts now but even then you simply can't give teams like Norwich, Brighton and Newcastle that kind of a head start.

Can we make the top six? Yes. Is it a realistic and fair target? As it stands, I'd say no. I just don't think we have the right balance or cohesion in the team to find the kind of consistency we would need to elevate ourselves back into contention. We will probably rue games like Blackburn, Bristol City, Reading and Ipswich where we didn't make our moments count. That's a difference of eight points there alone.

Right now, I'd say 11-14th would be my expectation. Are we capable of much better? Yes. But do I think Steve finds himself with a more difficult job to do this time around? Yes.

What's most important is that we see a clear direction being taken with the right foundations being set for seasons to come. Entertaining football, winning football, more cohesive and consistent performances, a positive atmosphere amongst fans, players and officials alike.

But honestly, ask me again at Christmas. This is the Championship and things are still taking shape. Nothing should or would come as a surprise. A 13-match losing run, anyone? :ph34r:

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, angieram said:

Less than a quarter of us expected the playoffs this season when we signed McClaren. So why are there a ridiculous number of threads calling for massive changes, new managers etc? 

We lost a game of football yesterday, that's all.

It's the Derby way? :p

I'm with you on this. It's massively disappointing to have only got 1 point from the last two home games, especially as we've scored 3 in each game. Also our points tally in the last ten games is poor. However, I would like to see the current management in place for all of next season at least. 

Let's not get rid of another manager. We are beginning to look out of control.  I didnt want him, but he is the manager of our club so lets stand by him.  Its not up to us to say what position we need to be in for him to sustain his employment. We are as bad as the media, the worst being BBC Radio 5 live. Its up to the owner and perhaps Steve himself. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Less than a quarter of us expected the playoffs this season when we signed McClaren. So why are there a ridiculous number of threads calling for massive changes, new managers etc? 

We lost a game of football yesterday, that's all.

Because people are spoilt and deluded at the same time. Expecting the play-offs after the start we had with Pearson is just plain idiotic, everyone with semi-functional footballing brain knows that.

I honestly wonder how these people coped during the days of Phil Brown and John Gregory or when we were in the 3rd division in the 80s. 

Archived