POLL: Chris Powell.

Mostyn6

Where do you stand on Chris Powell - Derby manager?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Cardiff aren't good no. Neither are Villa away from home, Burton Albion, Grimsby, Carlisle, Blackburn etc. And we barely created any chances. We beat Cardiff. What more do you want? This is where I get pissed off. When we were winning it wasn't winnier enough. When we were in the top 6 it wasn't enough. 

Yet Pearson had us limping from game to game creating pretty much nothing and playing hoofball... That's the man for us. Keep the faith. Bright future ahead etc etc. 

Reading are unbeaten at home aren't they? 

I'd suggest players liking a manager is important. Or at least wanting to please him. 

Why is it any good that he's an ex Ram and a nice bloke? It's not. And neither was Jewell's record or Pearson's record or Gregory's record or McClaren Dutch league title. 

All that matters is getting a coach that has a history of playing football in a similar style to the players you have. That they agree to the terms. 

Then you may pick the one with the best record and experience. 

And even then that person might fail. 

But what Pearson did at Leicester had nothing to do with what he could/would do at Derby. I said this when everyone kept saying "but at Leicester.."

It's the same as those calling for Bruce. If you call for him because you think he fits the team... Fair enough. Don't call for him "because at Hull.." 

Alpha a the end of the day we have beaten a really poor Cardiff side who have since sacked their manager Paul Trollope as well and now brought in Neil Warnock .

We conceded yet again another late goal at Reading  who had lost 4-1 the game 3 days  before to Brentford  

I didn't endorse Pearson as Derby manager but once he was given the job I backed him .

As for Powell I'm not endorsing him either but if he gets the job I will back him. 

Now let's look at the role of the players here they have literally let themselves down this season whatever they thought of Pearson .

The Pearson tenure didn't work out and I have no reason to believe Powell will turn it around with these players either. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Alpha a the end of the day we have beaten a really poor Cardiff side who have since sacked their manager Paul Trollope as well and now brought in Neil Warnock .

We conceded yet again another late goal at Reading  who had lost 4-1 the game 3 days  before to Brentford  

I didn't endorse Pearson as Derby manager but once he was given the job I backed him .

As for Powell I'm not endorsing him either but if he gets the job I will back him. 

Now let's look at the role of the players here they have literally let themselves down this season whatever they thought of Pearson .

The Pearson tenure didn't work out and I have no reason to believe Powell will turn it around with these players either. 

Why have the players let themselves down? They've underperformed as a result of the manager. Why can you not understand this? It really isn't rocket science.

If the same set of players finished 15th last year then the conversation might be a little different. But they didn't, they finished fifth and under Pearson's guidance started playing like a bottom six side.

7 hours ago, Dale The Ram said:

I personally love Chris Powell.

If anyone went to the Blackburn game would know after warming the team up, he played 1 on 1 with the ball boys and eventually went into the changing rooms to a round of applause. He got emotional in his first press conference as manager.

There is no doubt Powell is Derby through and through, I say give him the reigns for the end of the season.

I cant see us getting top 6 now so lets build this Derby Way under Powell

All that makes him sound like a great bloke. But those arguments don't mean he's a top coach, tactician etc. And those are the things we should be debating

7 hours ago, toddy said:

Is a coach, been in this division before, knows the players and ex Derby player.

How many reason do I need to give?

Nearly every manager has been a coach before. So this argument is nonsensical.

Been in this division before. OK, narrows it down to maybe 50 odd managers. Still doesn't make Powell unique

Knows the players. OK. He has a head start on others with that one. One argument I acceot

ex Derby. Don't think that matters frankly. Yes, it's nice and we all feel warm and fuzzy about ex players coming back. But at the end of the day, it's tactical nous and coaching ability that count.

You need better reasons

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why have the players let themselves down? They've underperformed as a result of the manager. Why can you not understand this? It really isn't rocket science.

If the same set of players finished 15th last year then the conversation might be a little different. But they didn't, they finished fifth and under Pearson's guidance started playing like a bottom six side.

I realize you are saying it's all about the systems and tactics the players had to play ie 4-3-3 as opposed to 4-4-2 etc but I don't except that argument  .

Powell brought back Bradley Johnson into the team when fans have been slating him and saying Bryson this  Bryson that  etc  

Bent was dropped by Powell but fans had been asking for Bent to start  

Fans were saying Hendrick is hopeless and sell him etc etc .

There is so much hypocrisy.

Lowe was played and did well at Cardiff and well done to the lad but people forget he was injured for a year and then he was injured for the Reading game and Olsson came back in who people have said isn't as good as Forsyth who unluckily for Pearson did his knee again .

Basically players have to step up like Keogh and produce decent performances .

Its not acceptable to have anything less 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

You can't flog them all in one go. 

The best thing you can do is put them in familiar roles and just get the best out of them. Then change from there as and where needed. These players have proven to be of top 6 quality. So let's get something anywhere near that level of performance before dumping them. 

I mean the players keep getting labeled bottlers etc.. More than half of the starting 11 is now different to 2014. It's not the same players letting each manager down. 

People need to be more specific with their evaluations. There's a reason we went on a bad run under Mac. There's a difference between Mac's 433 and Clement's. There's been different players in a different system for Pearson. It's not been one continuous run of the same players given chance after chance in the same system. It hasn't.

There you go again with the Cardiff thing. "At the end of the day we beat a really poor Cardiff side..." Stop there!!

We beat and we're better than Cardiff. That's enough. That's all you can do against any team. Don't ask for 8-0 wins. All you can do is be the best team and win. You don't have to be miles better. 

We didn't beat a poor Blackburn side. We didn't trouble a Villa side that hasn't won away since August 2015? 

Reading are unbeaten at home. We were 1-0 up. Yes it's gutting to draw but consider where we're coming from. Consider that we were the lowest scorers in England and Scotland. Consider we were playing poor football and losing matches. It is dissapointing to concede. No getting away from that. You just can't criticise that and dream of defending the garbage the week before. 

Try being happy with being the best team on the pitch and winning. If you can't do that then don't try telling people to back managers like Pearson who were providing neither quality or results. 

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You can't flog them all in one go. 

The best thing you can do is put them in familiar roles and just get the best out of them. Then change from there as and where needed. These players have proven to be of top 6 quality. So let's get something anywhere near that level of performance before dumping them. 

I mean the players keep getting labeled bottlers etc.. More than half of the starting 11 is now different to 2014. It's not the same players letting each manager down. 

People need to be more specific with their evaluations. There's a reason we went on a bad run under Mac. There's a difference between Mac's 433 and Clement's. There's been different players in a different system for Pearson. It's not been one continuous run of the same players given chance after chance in the same system. It hasn't.

There you go again with the Cardiff thing. "At the end of the day we beat a really poor Cardiff side..." Stop there!!

We beat and we're better than Cardiff. That's enough. That's all you can do against any team. Don't ask for 8-0 wins. All you can do is be the best team and win. You don't have to be miles better. 

We didn't beat a poor Blackburn side. We didn't trouble a Villa side that hasn't won away since August 2015? 

Reading are unbeaten at home. We were 1-0 up. Yes it's gutting to draw but consider where we're coming from. Consider that we were the lowest scorers in England and Scotland. Consider we were playing poor football and losing matches. It is dissapointing to concede. No getting away from that. You just can't criticise that and dream of defending the garbage the week before. 

Try being happy with being the best team on the pitch and winning. If you can't do that then don't try telling people to back managers like Pearson who were providing neither quality or results. 

I think you will find I didn't employ Pearson .

But at end of the the day what will be will be and it's true we didn't get the results with the Pearson and Powell Management team .

I hope we get results in future with Powell on his own as manager .

His appointment looks a certainty 

It's possible that Chris Powell might turn out to be the best manager Derby have ever had. It's also possible he might end up being the worst. As for where he will end up on that scale of 0 to 1, I think it's just a little too early to say. I don't speculate, and my guesswork tends to revolve around numbers 0-36.

Sorry to waste people's time reading this post.

3 hours ago, curtains said:

If this season is close to a write off what's the point of giving the job to Powell he's surely not the long term answer. 

Just going to listen to RD phone and expect Craig Ramage to endorse Chris Powell on the back of 2 results playing the system he advocated .

Powell had no influence at Derby with Pearson I suppose on team tactics and selection etc .I say really  to that  

But Cardiff were possibly the worst team in this league and a Reading are no great shakes. 

Derby fans will I'm sure annoy me on the phone in saying give the job to Powell because he was loved as a player at Derby and the players like him. 

I say oh my goodness why is that any good. 

You weren't taking in what I said? I said if he fits the philosophy that we want to go for then give him the job as it won't cost us any more than having to relieve him of his duties now. 

If not get someone in that does... 

I would never write of a season but we have to hit near automatic promotion form for the rest of the season to stand a chance of getting int the play offs...

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'd say they've already improved. Nearly matched his goal and points tally in the 2 games he's been gone. 

Although the Cardiff game was his picked side, i know the Pearson haters dont want to acknowledge this, but his side, players picked formation done .

1 hour ago, feisty said:

Nearly every manager has been a coach before. So this argument is nonsensical.

Been in this division before. OK, narrows it down to maybe 50 odd managers. Still doesn't make Powell unique

Knows the players. OK. He has a head start on others with that one. One argument I acceot

ex Derby. Don't think that matters frankly. Yes, it's nice and we all feel warm and fuzzy about ex players coming back. But at the end of the day, it's tactical nous and coaching ability that count.

You need better reasons

How does it work on your video game, picking managers then? :D

42 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's possible that Chris Powell might turn out to be the best manager Derby have ever had. It's also possible he might end up being the worst. As for where he will end up on that scale of 0 to 1, I think it's just a little too early to say. I don't speculate, and my guesswork tends to revolve around numbers 0-36.

Sorry to waste people's time reading this post.

The same could be said about Donald Trump. :ph34r:

Being the next president of USA not Derby manager of course.

15 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Trump wouldn't be a bad shout, has a proven track record of getting to grips with pussies, and a magnificent hair island to boot.

49 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

As soon as Trump said that he would use his position to have his opponent imprisoned, I realised that if Trump becomes America's next president, he will probably be its last, as the cretins chant "Four legs good, two legs better".

Hopefully the same could not be said of Chris Powell.

I like CP. The only thing I know is that unless Mel thought he was getting the best available with Pearson and the second best with Powell, then by appointing CP he's settling for someone he wouldn't have picked as a number 1. My other concern is more specific and references his decisions at Reading: troubling was his Hughes for Russell penultimate substitution with a 1-0 lead, coupled with his choice of a bench which was far too many attacking players. Apart from Mitchell, 5 out of 6 subs were forwards, so once Baird came in for olsson we had only attackers.

We need a balanced squad at game time but the reputation of our next manager should be one with an attacking philosophy.  We must revert back to attacking football - quick passing off the ball movement and pressing high - something the academy can then emulate; if mm thinks CP can accomplish that then let's go for it. Otherwise find a coach that believes it and who can explain to Mel specifically how he would train to get that done. There was no evidence from what we saw that Pearson knew how to coach a team on how to attack properly. In fact, attackers stood still and made bad decisions constantly.

Temp manager would be another stupid move

it would undermine his authority with the players, and weaken his hand in the january transfer window.

Archived