POLL: Chris Powell.

Mostyn6

Where do you stand on Chris Powell - Derby manager?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't see the point of having someone purely just until the end of the season. Employ someone else in the summer, starts slow, players turn against them, gets sacked then back to square one.

Let's give it to someone to build something long term. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I agree with this post apart from the last sentence, it was very hit and miss at the end of last season....And if it wassall or Harry I still think is up for debate :-)

Was more thinking from the 4-0 vs Hull at home for 6 games or so, certainly compared to the rest of the season at least. No debate, Wassall gets the praise over 'Arry :whistle:

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I just don't want it to be another season effectively written off - like last year was.

You do realise we were potentially one game (disaster) away from the play off final last season right? Not exactly a write off...

4 hours ago, curtains said:

This smacks of fans choosing on here  like they did with Pearson. 

Pearson was fans No1 choice and it looks like Powell will be. 

Mel Morris should think very carefully before appointing a manager this time as he can't afford another mistake. 

I think Mel will continue to do what he thinks is best for our club regardless of how many managers that takes.

in my opinion I think we've realised that good footbAll is too important to us for us to compromise on and if that's the case we need to re set the 'Derby way' (for want of a none cringey phrase) in terms of the philosophy. Get all teams playing the same type of football. Cherry pick managers based on how they play. Begin to target players based on the chosen style of football and start to off load those that will not fit. 

If Powell fits this philosophy then give him the job, it won't cost us any more and as Bris pointed out this season is close to a write off. 

14 minutes ago, big bad ram said:

I don't see the point of having someone purely just until the end of the season. Employ someone else in the summer, starts slow, players turn against them, gets sacked then back to square one.

Let's give it to someone to build something long term. 

I'd tend to agree and if a very good candidate, that has a philosophy aligned with the strengths of our squad can be convinced to come in now, do it. My worries are that such a candidate isn't available and the only people we could bring in would be a bad long term move.

I'd rather us take stock this season with an interim manager if it means we can get an 'ideal' candidate in the summer. It's what I thought the point of Wassell was last year, unfortunately we decided to go with an egotistical, inflexible, tactical dinosaur. 

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You do realise we were potentially one game (disaster) away from the play off final last season right? Not exactly a write off...

I think Mel will continue to do what he thinks is best for our club regardless of how many managers that takes.

in my opinion I think we've realised that good footbAll is too important to us for us to compromise on and if that's the case we need to re set the 'Derby way' (for want of a none cringey phrase) in terms of the philosophy. Get all teams playing the same type of football. Cherry pick managers based on how they play. Begin to target players based on the chosen style of football and start to off load those that will not fit. 

If Powell fits this philosophy then give him the job, it won't cost us any more and as Bris pointed out this season is close to a write off. 

If this season is close to a write off what's the point of giving the job to Powell he's surely not the long term answer. 

Just going to listen to RD phone and expect Craig Ramage to endorse Chris Powell on the back of 2 results playing the system he advocated .

Powell had no influence at Derby with Pearson I suppose on team tactics and selection etc .I say really  to that  

But Cardiff were possibly the worst team in this league and a Reading are no great shakes. 

Derby fans will I'm sure annoy me on the phone in saying give the job to Powell because he was loved as a player at Derby and the players like him. 

I say oh my goodness why is that any good. 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

If this season is close to a write off what's the point of giving the job to Powell he's surely not the long term answer. 

Just going to listen to RD phone and expect Ramage to endorse Powell on the back of 2 results playing the system he advocated .

But Cardiff were possibly the worst team in this league and a Reading are no great shakes. 

Derby fans will I'm sure annoy me on the phone in saying give the job to Powell because he was loved as a player at Derby and the players like him. 

Yep either you believe he is the best candidate long term and give him the job or he is asked to stay on as interim manager until a decision /appointment is made , no time slot needs to be given i.e. Till end of season or till January ,,, in fact the massive point we are all missing is just how disrespectful that whole criteria is to first wassell and now Powell ,, it says we don't really have faith your up to the job but tell you what we don't have anybody better lined up so we gonna let you have a little run at it see how you get on ,who knows we may even interview you for the full term post if you do ok ,,,,,,,is there a good  self respecting manager out there that we could temp in to Derby with that offer ?. Is there fxxk

25 minutes ago, curtains said:

Just going to listen to RD phone and expect Craig Ramage to endorse Chris Powell on the back of 2 results playing the system he advocated .

Powell had no influence at Derby with Pearson I suppose on team tactics and selection etc .I say really  to that  

I'd tend to agree, my worry would be in attracting the right person at the current time. If the right candidate was available, right now is an ideal time to come in because pressure would largely be off for the rest of the season provided he demonstrated we were heading in the right direction.

Just thinking, if we are effectively writing the season off, then maybe based upon the expert football knowledge we all give on here, we could have a DCFC fans forum dream team.

Manager Curtains

AM B4

PR muespachram

Entertainment (beer) Boycie/Eddie

Catering Moystyn

Scout Ambitious

Travel Dave

Crowd Control Gbro

Rammie G Star

There is always someone who is highly critical without knowing f all - Leeds Ram

Think of the savings we would make, and we would be in the PL in no time :ph34r:

I would like to see someone else come in that we can give the rest of this season and next season to do something.

Whoever we bring in has to really look to improve the team over the course of the remainder of 16/17 and then we should see a serious promotion push in 17/18. It means that this time next year we'll have a boss that's:

• had a few games to examine the squad 
  • Put their ideas in place
  • Have a January window to make a few additions
  • Had over 30 games of the 16/17 season before heading into their first summer
  • Had a whole summer to wheel and deal with the squad
  • Had a whole pre-season to prepare for a promotion campaign
  • Had 11 games of the 17/18 promotion campaign (that's over 40 games in charge of Derby in total)

I think at that point, this time next year, we can make a serious judgement on a manager. Even if we examine it and see that our problems run much deeper than we thought and it's going to take longer, I think that we would all agree that 2 transfer windows, a pre-season, 40-odd games and a calendar year, is a good amount of time to analyse the situation as a whole. That's why I'd be against Powell just steadying the ship. If Powell's getting the job, he should have it full time. Powell wouldn't be my ultimate top choice I'm afraid, but him getting the job full time for me is preferable than just steadying the ship. Let's not write off another season, let's make what we've got matter. 1 and 3 quarter year plan for promotion. Compete this year under the new boss, get promoted under him next year.

If Powell just steadies the ship for a bit, we're wasting time. He steadies the ship, then doesn't get the job, then the next guy comes in and tries to implement his ideas, get his players in, get to know everybody etc... Maybe someone needs to come in this year and steady the ship, maybe that man is Powell, but the same guy also then needs to steer the ship to the Premier League.

Truthfully, I know the response to that might be to say "well why did you and so many others criticise Pearson? Was he not trying to steady the ship to then steer it?". Well firstly the ship was already steady thanks to Darren Wassall and the boat did not need rocking that much (I'm loving these nautical analogies!). Secondly, I just didn't believe in him. He didn't inspire confidence, he didn't seem to have much of a plan, he didn't seem to be making much progress, if any, and above all else I think he was just fundamentally unlikable.

Call that irrational if you must, but I just didn't like the guy and I didn't want him managing my club. Powell is likeable. Pearson left a sour taste in my mouth when it came to football. He made me dislike watching Derby. He was almost Clough-esque in his dour demeanour. He bred misery at DCFC. Darren Wassall may not have always got things right but he made me smile when watching Derby. He had an upbeat manner and he oozed passion and heart. I know that doesn't necessarily equal success, but being a realist, I pay good money for my season ticket and I don't spend it so I can be miserable. I need a manager who makes me enjoy watching Derby. Even Clement managed that you know? Surprisingly he did. So it's not just about playing style. It's also about general demeanour. 

Powell would do that job. Maybe not as well as some others might. But he'd do it.

TL;DR ("too long; didn't read"): the only thing worse than the wrong decision is no decision at all. Get someone in full time. If it has to be Powell, so be it, I'll be behind him. At least he's not Pearson.

N.B. I accidentally voted "Give him to the end of the season". Ignore that. 

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

there's always one!

God knows how you managed with only IN or OUT at Brexit! :lol: 

To be fair, in the referendum the choices weren't:

"The EU is a disaster and I never ever want to see a European again" vs "I <3 EU".

I think a nuanced answer is fair. Although I am aware that my answer (see above) to the question wouldn't have fit in a poll option :p

Although I would love Powell to have the job, as he seems such a top bloke, I just don't think that he is at the right standard to guide us into the premier league, I would much rather have somebody like Steve Bruce or Steve McLaren who will have the experience that we require

Listened to the RD phone in.  

Powell didn't get the endorsement I was expecting but I think he will get the job. 

Craig Ramage said give Powell an interim job and see how he gets on  

Players being good enough was questioned and Mel Morris should be more like Ben Robinson said one caller  .

No leaders on the pitch was an opinion as well  .

I suppose we will find out soon enough who will be Derby Countys manager  

2 hours ago, toddy said:

Hands up, on Wassall. I actually thought he was the issue relating to some of the awful performances we had under him.

I have realized the players are the ones who let Wassall down and they are the same ones currently residing this season.

But as the issues we have had this season have been blamed on Pearson, we should now see performances improve dramatically and go on a winning run?

After all the culprit has now gone............

I'd say they've already improved. Nearly matched his goal and points tally in the 2 games he's been gone. 

6 hours ago, Dale The Ram said:

I personally love Chris Powell.

If anyone went to the Blackburn game would know after warming the team up, he played 1 on 1 with the ball boys and eventually went into the changing rooms to a round of applause. He got emotional in his first press conference as manager.

There is no doubt Powell is Derby through and through, I say give him the reigns for the end of the season.

I cant see us getting top 6 now so lets build this Derby Way under Powell

Tell me that's not your criteria for giving him the job.. He played 1 on 1 with a ball boy and everyone clapped him!!

oh and he got emotional at a press conference!

Im getting my CV in asap.. I can do both of those things.

Nice bloke syndrome.. Derby through and through.. who gives a flying? Maybe that is the DERBY WAY.. I've been missing the point all along.

• :angry:

Just now, Angry Ram said:

Tell me that's not your criteria for giving him the job.. He played 1 on 1 with a ball boy and everyone clapped him!!

oh and he got emotional at a press conference!

Im getting my CV in asap.. I can do both of those things.

Nice block syndrome.. Derby through and through.. who give a flying? Maybe that is the DERBY WAY.. I've been missing Ethel point all along.

• :angry:

The 'sympathy ex-Ram' vote is what worries me the most. If that's the way to go can't we at least find one with a nasty side? ;) Lol!

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Cardiff aren't good no. Neither are Villa away from home, Burton Albion, Grimsby, Carlisle, Blackburn etc. And we barely created any chances. We beat Cardiff. What more do you want? This is where I get pissed off. When we were winning it wasn't winnier enough. When we were in the top 6 it wasn't enough. 

Yet Pearson had us limping from game to game creating pretty much nothing and playing hoofball... That's the man for us. Keep the faith. Bright future ahead etc etc. 

Reading are unbeaten at home aren't they? 

I'd suggest players liking a manager is important. Or at least wanting to please him. 

Why is it any good that he's an ex Ram and a nice bloke? It's not. And neither was Jewell's record or Pearson's record or Gregory's record or McClaren Dutch league title. 

All that matters is getting a coach that has a history of playing football in a similar style to the players you have. That they agree to the terms. 

Then you may pick the one with the best record and experience. 

And even then that person might fail. 

But what Pearson did at Leicester had nothing to do with what he could/would do at Derby. I said this when everyone kept saying "but at Leicester.."

It's the same as those calling for Bruce. If you call for him because you think he fits the team... Fair enough. Don't call for him "because at Hull.." 

Archived