Just a thought…

cannable

Having seen Lingard start for England with Keane on the bench and Butland would have had he not been injured it got me thinking about our loan players over the McClaren period. 

Arguably the two that left the least impression have gone on to recieve England call-ups. Then take into account Jeff's performances at the Euros despite being our third choice attacking midfielder. Makes you wonder just how far the rest of that crop could have gone in the right circumstances. 

I've stated before that I thought McClaren's team would have flourished in the Prem; I honestly believe he'd have guided us to Europe. We were brilliant and that side will be appreciated in ten or so years time.

It's not too farfetched to imagine that had we been promoted under McClaren the potential pulling power could have seen a Derby team with Butland, Wisdom, Keane, George, Willberforce, Jeff, Ince, Ibe and Lingard all in it. 

What might have been…

**** off Bobby Z.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do't think Butland was ever an option as Begovic left Stoke and he naturally became number one. Ibe, Wisdom and Lingaard however could have been realistic options.

It was such a travesty that we didn't go up, and even more so that it was QPR who we all knew was going to offer the Premier League absolutely nothing went up on our place.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

Having seen Lingard start for England with Keane on the bench and Butland would have had he not been injured it got me thinking about our loan players over the McClaren period. 

Arguably the two that left the least impression have gone on to recieve England call-ups. Then take into account Jeff's performances at the Euros despite being our third choice attacking midfielder. Makes you wonder just how far the rest of that crop could have gone in the right circumstances. 

I've stated before that I thought McClaren's team would have flourished in the Prem; I honestly believe he'd have guided us to Europe. We were brilliant and that side will be appreciated in ten or so years time.

It's not too farfetched to imagine that had we been promoted under McClaren the potential pulling power could have seen a Derby team with Butland, Wisdom, Keane, George, Willberforce, Jeff, Ince, Ibe and Lingard all in it. 

What might have been…

**** off Bobby Z.

I agree with some of this.

However, the team we had wouldnt have survived in the premier. Yes he brought through some good youngsters and got them in on loan, but you need to couple that with experienced players and leaders, and this is something MCClaren didnt do.

A Couple more John Eustace types to go with the butlands, keanes, ibes  and lingards then you might have been onto something. Its all about blend.

On the subject of Keane, he did well with us but wasnt given enough chance, and he needed time to develop.

Was great for Burnley last season, miles better than Keogh IMO, and scores a $hit ton of goals from corners and freekicks. One of the very few Keogh goals in the mcclaren years actually came from Keane winning and attacking the header, the keeper making a great save then keogh putting in the rebound.

Why do we continually keep whining about season 13-14?

FFS that was what 3 / 4 seasons ago , we failed in getting promotion - some of those players have moved on, others that are now 3 years & older possibly not as good as they once were.

We need to move on, Pearson has gone so there are no excuses from players for poor performances  and poor results..........

We should expect in turn around in our fortunes against Leeds.

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

Why do we continually keep whining about season 13-14?

FFS that was what 3 / 4 seasons ago , we failed in getting promotion - some of those players have moved on, others that are now 3 years & older possibly not as good as they once were.

We need to move on, Pearson has gone so there are no excuses from players for poor performances  and poor results..........

We should expect in turn around in our fortunes against Leeds.

Should we?

You wanted 1 or 2 seasons for Pearson to turn it around, now you think Powell should do it in 3 games?

What happened to your calls for stability and getting behind the manager?

Was not everything that was wrong with us down to Pearson?

Playing 4-4-2 when we can only play 4-3-3?

Playing players out of position?

Playing huff the ball football?

The complaints / faults were endless, well he has now gone so, players can play in their favorite position, we can now play 4-3-3, we can now play one touch high pressing football.

No more excuses, otherwise we might as well have kept Pearson in positon if we are to continue along the same lines.

Yep everything wrong in the side was down Pearson, so lets see......

Well offloading someone who was pivotal to our system won't have helped.

Have we not seen improvement  already in the 2 games since he was suspended?

At some point in the future you're going to have to get over it, you're not an expert at choosing managers and the one you told us was the saviour, turned out to be probably out worst manager in the last 30 years.

Agree in the main with that OP, that team was easily the best I've seen in terms of how the team performed together and not just as individuals I've seen in my time watching Derby. But the premier league is a different gravy altogether and we would have needed more than just those loan signings to succeed, however it would certainly have been a good start and if we'd win that match imo we'd still be in the prem..

20 hours ago, cannable said:

What might have been…

**** off Bobby Z.

If he hadn't had one of his frank spencer moments !

IMG_3215.JPG

Archived