UFO's and Ghosts

Tony Le Mesmer

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 08:59, Highgate said:

No such thing as ghosts and intelligent lifeforms have almost certainly never visited this planet.  That's my opinion anyway. 

Lots of reasonable explanations for both phenomena. Have to disagree with Jono slightly. I don't think we can say with 'complete certainty' that there are intelligent beings on other planets. I'd concede that it seems highly likely however. 

The usual statement regarding the statistical 'near-certainty' is of life elsewhere, not necessarily intelligent.

People do get confused in their enthusiasm.

For the record, I completely agree with Highgate. No disrespect to anyone who believes they've seen ghosts, etc, the human imagination is an extraordinary thing.

I "saw" a good mate of mine just after he died of an overdose as I was lying in bed drinking a cup of coffee. I thought I was reasonably awake at the time but clearly I was still half asleep. In my case, the fact that he was boarding a train in my bedroom in my 'vision' was pretty persuasive  that it was my imagination. (The train reflected my sense of guilt for not allowing him to stay at my place when he last relapsed and, instead, booked him a hotel room. The reason was straightforward; the last time he'd stayed at my place, he broke the "no drug use" rule, stole my new phone and pulled a knife on ne. I was so angry that I drove him to the train station; paid $20 to buy back my phone; and threw it in the gutter. Nonetheless I felt "if I had let him stay, he wouldn't have been doing heroin alone in a hotel room and died as a result." Another example how the mind can be waylaid by irrational emotions. 

I'm not a great believer in the after life but we do have some strange goings on n our house from time to time.

When my lad was around a year old we were given one of those Fisher Price roller things with all the lights & buttons on the front to help him learn to walk.  The On switch is a slider style one, with three settings, Off/On/Loud.  I mention the style of switch as there's no way something could turn it on or off by brushing past it or something dropping on it.  Anyway, I'd put it in the spare room one night and I know for a fact it was switched off.  At 3am it suddenly started going off for know reason at all.  We were a little freaked out about it, but quickly forgot about it.

Shortly after my wife got a knock at the door and it was the daughter of the lady we bought the house off who'd come round to tell us her Mum had passed away and that the funeral procession would be coming past in a few days, in case we noticed it stopping outside the house for a few moments.  No probs at all.  She's seen that we did a fair bit of work to the house and asked if she could have a look round, my wife said ok but warned that the lad needed feeding soon.  My wife remembered that she'd found and old photo of a couple of girls when we were cleaning out a wardrobe, shocked it the woman and asked if one of them was her.  Turns out it ws and the other girl was her sister, who'd passed away when they were both young.  And her sister's bedroom was the spare room!!! :huh:

Like I say, not convinced that ghosts are real but it's mightily spooky never the less...

17 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

The usual statement regarding the statistical 'near-certainty' is of life elsewhere, not necessarily intelligent.

Indeed, even in our solar system there exists on some to the moons of the outer planets, the 3 fundamental factors for the creation and survival of life are present, namely a source of energy/heat, a liquid medium and the presence of organic molecules. It's surely only a matter of time before the current 'near-certainty' of life existing elsewhere will become a certainty.  It's possible even that life on earth arrived from a comet a few billions of years ago.  You'll struggle to find any expert who doubts there there is life, of some form,  elsewhere in the universe.  

However, on the other hand, as far as we know there has been only one genesis of life here on Earth, in a few billion years (although they may of course be other strains as yet undetected in the microbial record) and more importantly the sheer difficulty of going from single-celled to multi-cellular organisms and from there to beings who can build spaceships seems to be generally grossly underestimated in popular opinion.  The mystery involving the development of eukaryotic cells which are necessary for complex life seems to involve evolutionary leaps of staggering improbability, making intelligent life seem more like a freak event than an inevitable result of evolution. 

So intelligent life might be very rare in the universe, and with the distances involved, you've got to be extremely skeptical of reported sighting of 'alien' spaceships.  But I suppose you can't rule it out completely.

Ghosts on the other hand are about as likely as leprechauns and fairies.

14 hours ago, David said:

Thought that was down to God?

Yeah, but which one?  A huge variety of Gods seem to take the credit for that.  At best, all but one of them is lying.  Gods, they are as bad as politicians.....can't trust a word they say!

As we only see 0.05% of what is actually in front of us, ghosts could be things that drift in and out of our plane, a bit like a radio frequency or old tv picture?

But not dead people, perhaps beings from other dimensions.....

42 minutes ago, toddy said:

As we only see 0.05% of what is actually in front of us,

A fair point - our brains are especially adept at filtering out things that it thinks we don't need to see.

A good example that always makes me laugh - we walk around all day convinced that we can't see our noses, yet put your finger on the end of your nose and it's there. It's perpetually in our vision but the brain just filters it out.

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

A fair point - our brains are especially adept at filtering out things that it thinks we don't need to see.

A good example that always makes me laugh - we walk around all day convinced that we can't see our noses, yet put your finger on the end of your nose and it's there. It's perpetually in our vision but the brain just filters it out.

Yeah, agree, very odd.

We only see things that are reflected by light, so atoms are not seen, yet they make up everything that is solid that we can see. :blink:

i think some ghost sightings are a glimpse into the past.

My sister and her husband lived in a small village.  They bought an old house that was built by a fellow who died many years before.  One evening they went to a movie theater in a nearby town and left their two young kids in the care of a teenage babysitter.  In the middle of the film the theater owner told them they would have to return immediately as their was some kind of emergency in their home.  Arriving home, they found the girl trembling and terrified but after a while were able to extract a coherent story from her.

She was putting away some things near the front door when she saw someone standing outside.  Opening the door she saw It was an old gray bearded man and he took no notice of her but walked straight into the house.  She ran after him, asking what he was doing and what he wanted but got no reply.  She followed him into the kitchen and was stunned to see him walk right through the wall into an adjoining bedroom.  She threw open the door and watched him slowly disappear in front of her eyes.  Her description of the man matched the previous owner and where he walked through the wall there had been a door before, but the last owner had moved it after buying the place.  She never babysat for them again :)

10 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yeah, agree, very odd.

We only see things that are reflected by light, so atoms are not seen, yet they make up everything that is solid that we can see. :blink:

I've always said this toddy. Take a look at anything, your kettle next time you are making a cuppa. The water used to make it. All are made of atoms which is their true 'look' if you like but we see them as a kettle and water. We don't see what they actually are in reality. In essence we aren't living in a real world, just one that our eyes are capable of seeing.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Radio Derby have been reporting 'sightings' of UFOS all week. Turns out they are due to light reflecting on low cloud from the Ilkeston and Ripley charter fairs.

Could well be true we do see what we want to see, take rainbows for example, they don't  actually exist, they are not really there,  we create them ....

6 minutes ago, toddy said:

Could well be true we do see what we want to see, take rainbows for example, they don't  actually exist, they are not really there,  we create them ....

It doesn't matter if it's reflected light or direct light, everything we 'see' is created in the mind. The retina in the eye receives the physical stimuli from the light, sends it as electrical impulses to the brain, where they are processed and our vision is basically manufactured. We are only sensitive to a tiny proportion of the EM spectrum (much less than .05%), but it doesn't seem to matter, the system we have works wonderfully for our purposes.  It's not perfect though, and our brain can trick us, sometimes finding patterns that aren't really there.  

Rainbows are really there, the raindrops that splits the sunlight into its constituent part are as real as any other raindrops...and the refracted and reflected light that we see is as capable of entering our eyes as any other form of light. 

8 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It doesn't matter if it's reflected light or direct light, everything we 'see' is created in the mind. The retina in the eye receives the physical stimuli from the light, sends it as electrical impulses to the brain, where they are processed and our vision is basically manufactured. We are only sensitive to a tiny proportion of the EM spectrum (much less than .05%), but it doesn't seem to matter, the system we have works wonderfully for our purposes.  It's not perfect though, and our brain can trick us, sometimes finding patterns that aren't really there.  

Rainbows are really there, the raindrops that splits the sunlight into its constituent part are as real as any other raindrops...and the refracted and reflected light that we see is as capable of entering our eyes as any other form of light. 

We do create the rainbow because of the cones in our eyes, without those cones we just like your dog will not see them.

We only ever see things that are reflected by light, quite strange really so where ever you are currently reading this thread, over 99% of whatever is in your environment you cannot see.

Imagine the world if we could see that other 99% of it?

Archived