Manager Odds

Mostyn6

Sith Happens
42 minutes ago, mickram said:

Went to an after dinner do last Friday and John Barnes was guest speaker. Said Hoddle went religious crazy but is over that now and that he's the best coach in the business and in his opinion should be back as England manager.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see hoddle given a chance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, curtains said:

I really like the guy but what makes you think he could do a really good job.

When he is manager he will have to upset players by leaving them out of the first 11 just as Pearson did. 

Players always want to play in the first 11. 

My worry with Powell is the fact he may not be strong enough for these players as he's Mr nice guy .

Of course I could be wrong. 

What is this based on?

I have worked with Chris Powell a couple of times, and though he is genuinely nice I think it would be a mistake to conflate niceness with weakness. Any player making that mistake would soon find out he's tougher than they (and you) think.

2 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

What is this based on?

I have worked with Chris Powell a couple of times, and though he is genuinely nice I think it would be a mistake to conflate niceness with weakness. Any player making that mistake would soon find out he's tougher than they (and you) think.

Ok I accept that as you have first hand knowledge of working with the guy and I do not. 

Do you think he would be a good appointment as Derby County manager. 

8 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

What is this based on?

Can you not drop him a cheeky text ! See if he's been offered the job . (Only messing )

9 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

What is this based on?

Danny Murphy said the same on talksport last week, played with him at Charlton, and said whilst he's a lovely guy if you crossed him you'd sure know about it.

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok I accept that as you have first hand knowledge of working with the guy and I do not. 

Do you think he would be a good appointment as Derby County manager. 

Powell got a bang average Charlton side higher than Derby before having the rug pulled from under his feet.

Full disclosure: I wasn't an advocate of Pearson, but having Powell as assistant sold me on the package. He's a very intelligent football man, easy to get along with but nobody's fool. I could see him smoothing over the inevitable Pearson-created bumps in the road, while not forgetting he's management, not playing staff.

As the manager he'd have a rather different role but I do think he can do it. I also think the fans would give him time; we remember those who have played wholeheartedly for our club.

I suppose it all depends on his relationship with Morris. If he's seen as being too close to Pearson then Morris will probably want to reset again. I'm just not seeing too many interesting names linked with the job. I can't see McClaren being a wise choice, well as he did for a while, and the rest are the usual suspects plus Bilbo. I wouldn't be that surprised if Morris considered Hoddle though. He wouldn't be my choice, having also worked with him on one rather infamous occasion when he said some very foolish things about disabled people in a studio in Broadcasting House.

46 minutes ago, curtains said:

I really like the guy but what makes you think he could do a really good job.

When he is manager he will have to upset players by leaving them out of the first 11 just as Pearson did. 

Players always want to play in the first 11.

Probably better off getting someone other than Powell then, someone who can play everybody in the same team and keep them happy.

14 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

Full disclosure: I wasn't an advocate of Pearson, but having Powell as assistant sold me on the package. He's a very intelligent football man, easy to get along with but nobody's fool. I could see him smoothing over the inevitable Pearson-created bumps in the road, while not forgetting he's management, not playing staff.

As the manager he'd have a rather different role but I do think he can do it. I also think the fans would give him time; we remember those who have played wholeheartedly for our club.

I suppose it all depends on his relationship with Morris. If he's seen as being too close to Pearson then Morris will probably want to reset again. I'm just not seeing too many interesting names linked with the job. I can't see McClaren being a wise choice, well as he did for a while, and the rest are the usual suspects plus Bilbo. I wouldn't be that surprised if Morris considered Hoddle though. He wouldn't be my choice, having also worked with him on one rather infamous occasion when he said some very foolish things about disabled people in a studio in Broadcasting House.

Good post thanks. 

I rate Chris Powell as a decent manager at this level - did a very good job at Charlton that I think is under-rated by many on here. The club at the time were in shock after 2 relegations in 3 years down to League One - a slide that neither Alan Pardew or Phil Parkinson were able to stop but Powell not only got them out of League One but finished them just outside the Championship playoffs the season after. Powell only left Charlton after spending 3 months reporting into the charming Roland Duchatelet, who promptly filled his squad with a number of players from Standard Liege, another one of his clubs, leading to a fall out & unsurprisingly, a downturn in results.

His stint at Huddersfield is harder to judge but they've been an habitual presence in the bottom half of this division for years now, which probably makes their current form all the more surprising. 

As a safe choice, I think Powell would be a good call. He has a good previous managerial pedigree, experience of working in challenging circumstances, is a well liked guy but isn't too nice/bland to succeed.  In the absence of an outstanding candidate, I'd be more than happy for him to be given a chance.

51 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

A moment always sticks in my mind! It was a Tuesday night match , we were playing Chris Powell's Huddersfield, we were winning at the time and the Derby Fans started singing "Chrissy powell is a Ram he hates f#rest "to this he gave a wave to the south stand . At that point I turned to the father in law and said . "I'd love to see him manage here one day " so to sum it up I'd love Chrissy powell to get the job on a permanent basis . 

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

A moment always sticks in my mind! It was a Tuesday night match , we were playing Chris Powell's Huddersfield, we were winning at the time and the Derby Fans started singing "Chrissy powell is a Ram he hates f#rest "to this he gave a wave to the south stand . At that point I turned to the father in law and said . "I'd love to see him manage here one day " so to sum it up I'd love Chrissy powell to get the job on a permanent basis . 

He won promotion at Charlton with over 100 points. I'd give him a chance to do it here no problem.  

Archived