agents

California Ram.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Call me old school but not sure why players need agents.

Just say I play for Gillingham and West Ham want to sign me. I first of all decide if I want to move there and if so I go down and meet with them to hear what they've got to say, take a look around and hear the terms and conditions with regards salary and things. If I agree I get the contract checked by a legal pro and I sign, if I disagree I don't.

I still play for Gillingham but i'm pretty crap and my contract is running out not to be renewed so i'll be out of a job soon. Do I pay agents to tout me around or do I just do it myself as I have a passion for the game and want to be an independent human being capable of making my own decisions?

I believe it's as simple as that or don't footballers know their own minds anymore?

Agents are basically middle men getting paid fortunes when there is actually no real need for them.

Just my opinion. Interested to hear yours.

Yeah but... If you were a professional footballer, basic english would be beyond you, you would have spent most of your early years being wrapped in cotton wool and would have had no exposure to the basics of life, bar buying a sports car for cash. 

Just imagine the conversation..

Erm, Mr Gold, erm, how much? erm, does it come in an envelope? erm, how do I pay it into a bank? erm do the ground staff clean my car? erm... Other Richard Keogh impressions are available.

You would need an agent to get you to West Ham from Gillingham because you would probably spend two days looking for a passport you dont need. 

Agents are a must :ermm: These bloody club owners would have a field day. 

I'm very much pro agent. To a fan they might look like leeches, but for a player they are very helpful. If they weren't, such profession wouldn't exist.

First of all, contract negotiations. If/when the club offers way too little, without a agent you would have to start fighting against your future employer at first meeting. That's far from ideal. Compare it to having date with your possible future girlfriend... first meeting and you start fighting for money. It could start better!

Secondly, you can concentrate to playing. Your agent is also your secretary, so you don't have to worry a thing,

Of course it can lead to troubles if you pick wrong one (like Yaya Toure) but get it right and it can be compared to great accountant for entrepreneur. Everything is easier.

Yes, it costs. But so costs my cleaner. And someone has to do that shitty work too.

10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Call me old school but not sure why players need agents.

Just say I play for Gillingham and West Ham want to sign me. I first of all decide if I want to move there and if so I go down and meet with them to hear what they've got to say, take a look around and hear the terms and conditions with regards salary and things. If I agree I get the contract checked by a legal pro and I sign, if I disagree I don't.

I still play for Gillingham but i'm pretty crap and my contract is running out not to be renewed so i'll be out of a job soon. Do I pay agents to tout me around or do I just do it myself as I have a passion for the game and want to be an independent human being capable of making my own decisions?

I believe it's as simple as that or don't footballers know their own minds anymore?

Agents are basically middle men getting paid fortunes when there is actually no real need for them.

Just my opinion. Interested to hear yours.

Alot of player probably get picked up by agents as kids,not knowing the game or having anyone experienced to advise them,take into account most footballer's are not exactly credited with having much intelligence, half of them probably can hardly read and write at the age of 16 (joke).i suspect its just easier to folow suit ,concentrate on your game and let some one else deal with what you may consider to be irelevant stuff at that age,so long as your p!laying football 

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thing is players don't just have agents to look after their transfers.

Was reading Gerrard autobiography the other day and he was saying after his slip he needed to get out of the country quick so he called up his agent to organise him a trip. Sums up modern day footballers to me.

Probably incapable of booking a flight,arranging currency or even packing his own bags

14 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I'm very much pro agent. To a fan they might look like leeches, but for a player they are very helpful. If they weren't, such profession wouldn't exist.

First of all, contract negotiations. If/when the club offers way too little, without a agent you would have to start fighting against your future employer at first meeting. That's far from ideal. Compare it to having date with your possible future girlfriend... first meeting and you start fighting for money. It could start better!

Secondly, you can concentrate to playing. Your agent is also your secretary, so you don't have to worry a thing,

Of course it can lead to troubles if you pick wrong one (like Yaya Toure) but get it right and it can be compared to great accountant for entrepreneur. Everything is easier.

Yes, it costs. But so costs my cleaner. And someone has to do that shitty work too.

Good point. 

When I was a full time musician I had a manager that used to say "give me the bullets and I'll fire them". 

Said it was better promoters / labels etc thought he was difficult and not me. Never thought of it like that. 

Archived