Football Corruption Casualties

Van der MoodHoover

SSN  reported that the telegraph has released 3 names of potentially corrupt football figures.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 

Tommy Wright 

Massimo Cellino. 

These individuals are claimed by the telegraph to be involved in bribes to affect transfers. 

If all this is proven, where does it end and what might it mean for the game? 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/exclusive-the-corruption-at-the-top-of-the-championship/

Holy ****! They actually have footage of Wright pocketing £5k in a brown envelope. That's him done. Hasselbaink is less committal, telling the undercover reporters he will "have to google" them after being asked to look upon them favorably in other lines of business. It's pretty grubby behaviour, but unless they have more footage they haven't shown it seems to be a glorified speakers fee they're negotiating over. Cellino is basically offering the full "Big Fat Sam" treatment to circumvent league rules and he has some very interesting things to say about the state of the English game.

I bet the Premier League names yet to be revealed are crapping themselves.

reading into it, only the Barnsley asst manager has done anything wrong. Reading what they've levelled at both JFH and Cielino, both seem fine. JFH was asked to be a guest speaker and give a speech, there's no suggestion he promised to, or even considered signing any player linked to the fake agents. Cielino basically offered investors 20% of any profits on players if they put in 20% of the £8m he wanted to invest!! Standard deal.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

reading into it, only the Barnsley asst manager has done anything wrong. Reading what they've levelled at both JFH and Cielino, both seem fine. JFH was asked to be a guest speaker and give a speech, there's no suggestion he promised to, or even considered signing any player linked to the fake agents. Cielino basically offered investors 20% of any profits on players if they put in 20% of the £8m he wanted to invest!! Standard deal.

I'm sure in that video he says 'give me a good good player'.

54 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Is it true that the '8-10' Premier League managers mentioned are named by agents rather than proven to be doing wrong?

Pretty much, which is why they haven't actually been named.

The Telegraph's exposes, apart from Tommy Wright and Sam Allardyce, don't yet amount to a hill of beans. And there was nothing Sam did that was illegal, just stupid given his position.  They confirm that football at the highest level has already wealthy people on the make for more easy money - well so have a lot of industries; they show that the rules can be got around - well, every sport in the world, and most other sectors, is full of people trying to find an angle, whether it's drugs or diving to get a penalty. The world is full of cheats. Three Amigos anyone?

Stan Collymore was on 5Live yesterday.  He said that he knew (that all of football knew) the names of those people who broke the rules and took money but that he wasn't prepared to go to the authorities essentially because he was afraid - afraid that he would never work again even in the football media (which might be a bonus all round) and afraid that harm would come his way from those affected.  It's a familiar story for whistleblowers in any trade and whilst he may 'know' he probably doesn't have much real evidence.

And already there's backtracking.  Lawyers for the agents are already suggesting that they were boasting in order to appear more knowledgeable than they actually were; Sam talks about entrapment.  It's a good defence because they know that no one else on the gravy train is going to dob them in.  And that's the trouble.  Everyone thinks that it's going on, everyone thinks that they know who and how, but there's no proof that would stand up to much in a court of law. And the FA will investigate, shake their heads at how terrible it all is and do nothing, in part because they can't do anything very much, other than to keep on tightening the rules.

And it's easy to forget how much better it is, how much more governance there is - you don't have cash at turnstiles any more (or very rarely); transfer fees aren't handed over in motorway service stations, agreed between two managers; international businessmen have much more to lose than 'just' a football club; sponsors demand levels of probity.  Perhaps there will always be greed, always people working on the edge of legality.  Don't know whether I'm depressed or not.

I can't have any sympathy for Sam - he is (or was) the public face of the FA and yet offers to help people get round FA rules as long as he's given a big wad? - cannot be right in any circumstances.

As for his 'entrapment won' bull, well innocent folk aren't involved in these sort of stings because they stay well away from dodgy activities - there has to be an element of dishonesty for the sting to work - by admitting that they caught him out, Allardyce is admitting his guilt....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

I can't have any sympathy for Sam - he is (or was) the public face of the FA and yet offers to help people get round FA rules as long as he's given a big wad? - cannot be right in any circumstances.

As for his 'entrapment won' bull, well innocent folk aren't involved in these sort of stings because they stay well away from dodgy activities - there has to be an element of dishonesty for the sting to work - by admitting that they caught him out, Allardyce is admitting his guilt....

But we have to feel sorry for him cos he's buggering off abroad to "reflect".

That seems to be a new code-word which could cover anything from "I'm going to plot my retribution" to "****, I need to work out a few new scams"

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

That seems to be a new code-word which could cover anything from "I'm going to plot my retribution" to "****, I need to work out a few new scams"

As someone said yesterday - let's hope 'going abroad' means he's appearing on the next "I'm a celebrity..." - he deserves to eat Kangaroo testicles....

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 12:01, HantsRam said:

Did love the star's headline - big sam goes to villa.

Archived