Jacob Butterfield - Winger OR Midfielder

RamsPolls

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Who was the bloke knitting the moves together on Saturday? Putting Anya, Ince and Vydra into 1v1 with defenders? 

The same bloke that struggles to get open constantly, and who keeps shanking balls with awful long range attempts. 

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The same bloke who scored more goals than any other championship player from outside the box last year.

Last year is not this year. I've been watching the forward players like a hawk all season and he's the biggest offender of hiding and not getting open. He's an average player at best. A Hughes wannabe.  Even when he popped up with goals under Clement he did little else.  That's all I'm saying. He's serviceable but Bryson should always play before him, and even Timi Elsnik would be preferable.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

Really impressed with Butterfield on saturday. 

Feel like him and Hughes really clicked and Johnson did a great job at covering them to give them both the freedom to go forwards.

Agreed with this.. 

47 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

He 100% is not a winger.

This is 100% true. 

33 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He's neither, he's a substitute. 

Dear oh dear... 

29 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Who was the bloke knitting the moves together on Saturday? Putting Anya, Ince and Vydra into 1v1 with defenders? 

Damn you Alpha, already beat me to it.. 

28 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Dear me, Bar Hughes - He's our best attacking link up midfielder.

Again agreed with that RP. 

Not sure I agree with the way @Ninos is putting his point, but I agree with him on it - Hughes, Bryson and Johnson should be the midfeld until Thorne gets back. Bryson is a far more willing runner, and I think would help add more of a goal threat going forward.

I would suspect that the only reason Butterfield will be kept in the team until Thorne gets back is because he helps keep the ball which Johnson historically has not been very good at. Once Thorne is back I suspect we'll see the long awaited Bryson, Hughes, Thorne triumverate.

13 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He's serviceable but Bryson should always play before him, and even Timi Elsnik would be preferable.

Disagreed. Butterfield over Bryson every day of the week. Bryson will have to get used to it being on the bench.. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Last year is not this year. I've been watching the forward players like a hawk all season and he's the biggest offender of hiding and not getting open. He's an average player at best. A Hughes wannabe.  Even when he popped up with goals under Clement he did little else.  That's all I'm saying. He's serviceable but Bryson should always play before him, and even Timi Elsnik would be preferable.

He was played where he was strongest last year, where he's spent all but 3 games shoved out on the wing this year. Whilst I see your point about not getting open, I think that is far from a constant. Particularly on saturday he was heavily involved in all our good work in midfield and showed some real chemistry with Hughes. His clever passing released Anya into good positions numerous times, unfortunately Anya wasted most of them.

Preferring Bryson to him is one thing but you're being hyperbolic saying "Bryson should always play before him, and even Timi Elsnik would be preferable." He is currently a better player than Elsnik is and is stronger in areas when compared to Bryson. You surely have to concede that point at least ?

6 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Not sure I agree with the way @Ninos is putting his point, but I agree with him on it - Hughes, Bryson and Johnson should be the midfeld until Thorne gets back. Bryson is a far more willing runner, and I think would help add more of a goal threat going forward.

Here's the thing, do we need a designated 'runner' ? In fact can we afford one without a top draw link-up player up front ? 

8 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I would suspect that the only reason Butterfield will be kept in the team until Thorne gets back is because he helps keep the ball which Johnson historically has not been very good at. Once Thorne is back I suspect we'll see the long awaited Bryson, Hughes, Thorne triumverate.

I think this is a big part of why he should be preferred to Bryson right now. I think the other part is Vydra's lack of linkup play necessitates a secondary playmaker in Butterfield.

18 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Here's the thing, do we need a designated 'runner' ? In fact can we afford one without a top draw link-up player up front ? 

I think this is a big part of why he should be preferred to Bryson right now. I think the other part is Vydra's lack of linkup play necessitates a secondary playmaker in Butterfield.

I see what you're saying. I'm torn on the issue of who should be in the team at the moment.

But as soon as Thorne is FULLY fit, then it should be Bryson, Hughes and Thorne in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I see what you're saying. I'm torn on the issue of who should be in the team at the moment.

But as soon as Thorne is FULLY fit, then it should be Bryson, Hughes and Thorne in my opinion.

Too be honest I think it largely comes down to preference, form, fitness and who fits slightly better into what you want the team to do that day. Rather than grumbling (I know you aren't as such) over who should be starting, I think we should be thankful that we have three quality attacking midfielders. All of which should get an amount of game time each match, whether starting or not. It's just something of a non-issue to me (I think the front 3 is the much bigger issue currently) and whoever McClaren goes with I'll trust is the right pick on the day.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

The same bloke that struggles to get open constantly, and who keeps shanking balls with awful long range attempts. 

Do you do anything except bloody whine?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

You've really taken a dislike to him haven't you? I've noticed your every second post is derogatory towards him. Weird. I mean, we are all entitled to opinions but to start knocking him now when he's come into centre midfield for the last three games, of which we've got 7 points from 9, having been one of our better performers in all three of those games, your timing is a bit off to say the least. 

I rate Bryson too. But he had his turn. He started the first 9 games in centre midfield. We've gained more points in the last three... 

Don't see much point in Bryson whilst he doesn't have anybody to play off. He was vital for making runs in behind and stretching the defence and creating space for Thorne and Hughes; all whilst playing off of Dawkins and Martin. 

Funny that Ninos should rate Bryson so highly… considering his irrational hatred for his foil. 

Archived