Jacob Butterfield - Winger OR Midfielder

RamsPolls

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's never a winger, and to be fair, I don't think he was supposed to be playing as one.  His job was presumably to tuck in a bit and stop us getting overrun, while allowing Christie to bomb on past him.  Unfortunately, he's not mobile enough to do the tucking in properly, and when he does have to actually play like a winger, he's not a dribbler/crosser either.  Someone like Hughes would have been much more suitable, he's mobile, hard-working and can go past people and cross if he needs to.  it would have also given him more license to roam and get on the ball.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Just to verify - The questions is 

Is he better on the wing or in the centre of midfield?

I never said "Is he a winger or a midfielder"

:)

Why ask is he better on the wing? He's never played as a winger for us. We couldn't possibly comment on which he's better at unless he plays in both?

17 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

He's a very good centre mid, as he showed last night. Both he and Will looked far more at home last night, as did Bradley who added bite and strength to proceedings. Regards Butterfield, his best season was arguably under Powell at Huddersfield...

I agree with this 100%,

However, If you play Butterfield in the position he played for Huddersfield, then you would have to push out another player, i.e Hughes/Wilson.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

I agree with this 100%,

However, If you play Butterfield in the position he played for Huddersfield, then you would have to push out another player, i.e Hughes/Wilson.

Whilst this is true in a 433 he can get himself (along with Hughes) into similar positions around the edge of the box. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst this is true in a 433 he can get himself (along with Hughes) into similar positions around the edge of the box. 

True! Forgot we don't have NP at the moment lol.

My midfield after the performance at Cardiff would be;

Johnson

Hughes                           Butterfield 

very strong in my opinion

6 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

True! Forgot we don't have NP at the moment lol.

My midfield after the performance at Cardiff would be;

Johnson

Hughes                           Butterfield 

very strong in my opinion

Agree completely. I like the idea of playing two attacking playmakers when you have Vydra upfront who will run all day.

Then when thorne's fit he replaces Johnson and have an even better midfield. If those three play together, I'm not sure how we ever lose possession bar shooting :D.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Agree completely. I like the idea of playing two attacking playmakers when you have Vydra upfront who will run all day.

Then when thorne's fit he replaces Johnson and have an even better midfield. If those three play together, I'm not sure how we ever lose possession bar shooting :D.

The only down side to Butterfield's game is how he can sometimes slow the play down because he's waiting for that perfect pass.

If you look at Hughes he his naturally gifted with a football and can act instinctively, whereas Butterfield has learnt to play the game and worked hard at it but doesn't have that natural instinct to hit a pass straight away.   

Just now, RamsPolls said:

The only down side to Butterfield's game is how he can sometimes slow the play down because he's waiting for that perfect pass.

If you look at Hughes he his naturally gifted with a football and can act instinctively, whereas Butterfield has learnt to play the game and worked hard at it but doesn't have that natural instinct to hit a pass straight away.   

Maybe but I only noticed him really doing that when there wasn't a great option on. I'm confident if we go back to playing a high tempo, short passing game full of movement and players looking for the ball, he will be great.

Archived