Jump to content

The Red Last Night for Connolly


rammieib
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK - Different topic on here.

The red card given to Connolly last night for the trip on Blackman - I thought this was exactly the type of foul whereby the new rule was introduced to stop the double punishment - i.e its only a yellow and a penalty?

Can someone enlighten me why a red was given?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

For it to not be a red, it has to be a genuine attempt to win the ball. Connolly just kind of bundled Blackman over, so presumably the ref thought it was a cynical one.

I understand that but to ask a referee to make a judgement on whether it was deliberate or accidental is difficult. For me - the challenge was clumsy but not deliberate and I would be intrigued to know why it was a red.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

For it to not be a red, it has to be a genuine attempt to win the ball. Connolly just kind of bundled Blackman over, so presumably the ref thought it was a cynical one.

At the time at the game, I felt the same way. He just bundled into Blackman.

But looking at the replays, It does seem more cynical, He clearly makes an attempt to stop Blackman getting a shot away which is stopping a goal scoring opportunity which is a red card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

I understand that but to ask a referee to make a judgement on whether it was deliberate or accidental is difficult. For me - the challenge was clumsy but not deliberate and I would be intrigued to know why it was a red.

Yeah, it's always going to be a matter of opinion, but that applies to a lot of other rules as well (was a foul reckless or careless, did the player deliberately handle the ball or accidentally etc).  And it's not whether it was deliberate or not, it's whether he was attempting to win the ball or not, and there wasn't really an attempt by Connolly to win the ball, he just seems to clip the back of Blackman's heels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched and rewatched and agree that its clumsy by him being in the wrong position more than anything.

I don't think it was deliberate but by interpreting the law I can see why a red was given. I would say at full speed though its hard for a ref to make that split second decision.

I haven't yet seen or heard of a ref only awarding a yellow for a player denying a goal scoring opportunity for a 'trip' when an attempt at the ball was made...

I want it to happen at Derby so I can see how uninformed the crowd are around me of the actual rules LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get the idea of it being a double punishment. You can only do that by waiting for the penalty to be taken. I.e. If he scores leave him on or send him off if the penalty is missed. That obviously can't be the case so ref has to make a instant decision. I think he got it right, surely any doubt must go to the attacking player not the offender. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I thought it should only be a yellow if it's not an obvious goal scoring chance???  Isn't it meant to cut down on dubious decisions when an attacker is brought down 30 yards from goal???

It looked a stone wall sending off for me.

Should definitely have only been a yellow - it wasn't a goal scoring chance it was Blackman he would never have scored - ref should have factored that in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, rammieib said:

OK - Different topic on here.

The red card given to Connolly last night for the trip on Blackman - I thought this was exactly the type of foul whereby the new rule was introduced to stop the double punishment - i.e its only a yellow and a penalty?

Can someone enlighten me why a red was given?

I thought exactly the same thing. 

I can only assume the ref is going off last year's rulebook and not the new one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.