4-3-3 Is Back -- Enjoy it!

Donny Ram

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Although I'd like Vydra to get on the ball more than last night, his hard work and running behind perhaps perhaps removes the need for one of the midfielders to break beyond the front line and allow us to play two playmakers in Butterfield and Hughes. Also it's possible a striker like Vydra allows Ince to float into that pocket of space in front of the back 4 more readily and provide that link up option.

That's exactly what I was thinking. We'll have to wait and see.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cannable said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. We'll have to wait and see.

One other point is Vydra does seem comfortable with the ball at his feet and has had some neat little layoffs in games before. So it's very possible he can be coached to be more effective in the role.

When Bent first arrived (and Martin was out injured )you could see he was frustrated that He was making the runs but no one was putting him in. Bryson and Hughes were so used to playing it to the big man into him they couldn't see the runs he was making, Infact I also remember the few times they played together that martin seemed to be the only one who has the vision to see Bents runs. I could see this being a problem with Vydra. He gets annoyed when he makes the runs and nobody in midfield either sees the run, or has the balls to try put him in. The safe sideways option seems to be a favourite for Butterfield aswell.

I really have high hopes for Vydra. There's obviously the argument he works best with a big man such as Deeney. However we have already seen he has desire or a drive to do well. He has it in him to score goals and I believe he has the intelligence to adapt to whatever system suits him. I can see him linking well with Ince, with play being bought more inward. He looks to have the ability to create a goal for himself which I think is useful for a striker. I don't really see where James Wilson fits any more?

15 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

When Bent first arrived (and Martin was out injured )you could see he was frustrated that He was making the runs but no one was putting him in. Bryson and Hughes were so used to playing it to the big man into him they couldn't see the runs he was making, Infact I also remember the few times they played together that martin seemed to be the only one who has the vision to see Bents runs. I could see this being a problem with Vydra. He gets annoyed when he makes the runs and nobody in midfield either sees the run, or has the balls to try put him in. The safe sideways option seems to be a favourite for Butterfield aswell.

I didn't see it that way with Bent, I mean afterall he scored plenty that season so his runs must have been spotted to some degree. The problem with Bent was  he was only interested in running in behind, even if it was the wrong option, which often left the midfielder with the choice of a really ambitious ball that isn't likely to work or pass to a teammate and keep building the play. 

Plus Vydra works far harder than Bent, shows for the ball from time to time and looks decent when it's at his feet. Personally I think with Hughes and Butterfield pushed up where they can hurt teams there is a good chance Vydra's runs will start being far more effective.

13 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I didn't see it that way with Bent, I mean afterall he scored plenty that season so his runs must have been spotted to some degree. The problem with Bent was  he was only interested in running in behind, even if it was the wrong option, which often left the midfielder with the choice of a really ambitious ball that isn't likely to work or pass to a teammate and keep building the play. 

Plus Vydra works far harder than Bent, shows for the ball from time to time and looks decent when it's at his feet. Personally I think with Hughes and Butterfield pushed up where they can hurt teams there is a good chance Vydra's runs will start being far more effective.

A good analysis; last night we saw Hughes, Butterfield, Ince and when he came on Blackman linking with neat first-time passes that players without the ball were moving on to. The first goal indeed was a four-man link (or "combination football" as the Victorian Gentlemen would refer to it) between BJ, MV, WH & TI that left Cardiff flat-footed. The key difference last night was movement and link-play. Last Sat v B'Burn it was static-pass-static-pass....static...

20 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

A good analysis; last night we saw Hughes, Butterfield, Ince and when he came on Blackman linking with neat first-time passes that players without the ball were moving on to. The first goal indeed was a four-man link (or "combination football" as the Victorian Gentlemen would refer to it) between BJ, MV, WH & TI that left Cardiff flat-footed. The key difference last night was movement and link-play. Last Sat v B'Burn it was static-pass-static-pass....static...

The promising thing was there were plenty of examples like it as well such as the move that eventually won the penalty or the roughly 16 pass move which ended with Ince jinking his way past the CB into box and pulling a good save out the keeper. I'd wager we created (actually created as a team, not just have the ball fall to a player) more quality chances last night than we have all season.

Archived