Bradley Johnson

SuperDerbySuperRams

On 17/10/2016 at 14:48, brady1993 said:

Johnson played well on saturday but when everyone is fit it'd be criminal to leave both Bryson and Butterfield out of the side. Ultimately Johnson isn't technically gifted enough to be considered in our 'best' lineup.

Maybe but he's 'balls' gifted enough! - provides the fight and does the dirty work winning the ball back etc

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ram79 said:

Can't see Johnson losing his place to Thorne this season it's as if he's played dm all his career which makes me think can Thorne play further up the field? After all he can pass and score would like to see a midfield with Johnson,Thorne and Hughes in it.

I think George is good at coming forward during games but its not his role. Will be a very interesting dilemma for steve.

6 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think Steve will have Thorne as sub like before and he'll have to wait for his chance.

When he came back before he didn't look match fit and was soon puffing like a bulldog on a hot day.

He needs to be so fit he's demanding his place before he gets a chance even as sub. If he's not 100% then he is likely to get another injury.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

When he came back before he didn't look match fit and was soon puffing like a bulldog on a hot day.

He needs to be so fit he's demanding his place before he gets a chance even as sub. If he's not 100% then he is likely to get another injury.

Yes but you can only get upto speed by playing in competitive matches.

I don't think you can leave either out.

Why can't we play 4-2 (johnson and Thorne) -3-1 

Any good manager knows you build a formation around your top players not force a formation so that your top players sit the bench. Play both in their best position.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Any good manager knows you build a formation around your top players not force a formation so that your top players sit the bench. Play both in their best position.

One for Nigel Pearce to answer?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

The only worry with that is Thorne and Johnson getting in each others way, similar to the start of this year (2016 not the season) Johnson always seemed to be standing on Thorne's toes, if Mac can get them both in there playing as they are/can then it will only make us better.

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You don't change formation to suit one player when everyone else is comfortable 

It's not that much of a change to be fair. You're just dropping Butterfield and having johnson and Thorne backing up will hughes who's in the advanced role. Everything else in the 4-2-3-1 would be the same. Having Thorne play second fiddle to Johnson or vice Versa would be criminal. They're both dominant.

For me a fit George is better than Johnson even with Johnsons current form, I think its been refreshing to have someone step in and do the role well, especially someone who recieved such flack. Interesting times.

45 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It's not that much of a change to be fair. You're just dropping Butterfield and having johnson and Thorne backing up will hughes who's in the advanced role. Everything else in the 4-2-3-1 would be the same. Having Thorne play second fiddle to Johnson or vice Versa would be criminal. They're both dominant.

That's changing the system to suit one player. It's fine as it is 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That's changing the system to suit one player. It's fine as it is 

And let's be honest, he has been dominant for about 12 games over a 3 year period.

He's a fantastic player on his day but upsetting the applecart to shoehorn him into the team could have catastrophic consequences.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And let's be honest, he has been dominant for about 12 games over a 3 year period.

He's a fantastic player on his day but upsetting the applecart to shoehorn him into the team could have catastrophic consequences.

Yeah

If he's that good, which he appears to be when fit and on a run of games, then eventually he'll earn his place. 

And if Johnson is that good then he'll earn his place higher up the pitch eventually

Because we don't play 4231. The balance we have is right. Everyone is happy with their defensive shape. Why stick another DM in. If it's essentially the same system then let's just use the same system and let players earn places over a period of time. 

Mac has done that since he came here and what proof is there that it would be better any other way.

Listening to David Wagner the other night about the number of games they have to play and keeping players fresh by rotating. This could be the answer for us regarding both Thorne [injury prone] and giving Johnson a breather.

Johnson has proved under Mac that he can play at DM, so we now have 2 DM fighting for place - lets rotate where necessary.

Since Mac came back, Johnston along with Ince, have been outstanding, anyone with half a brain would not drop these players from the starting 11, Johnson gives us that extra bite which we have needed, for the past couple of seasons, he guards the back 4 well, wins most of his headers, and can also weigh in with goals, for me the best 4 players this season have been Johnson, Pearce, Ince and Keogh, all four of these players would play for any sides at this level, in the form they have been in since Super Mac came back.

Archived