Bradley Johnson

SuperDerbySuperRams

6 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If we play a midfield three I think Hughes - Thorne - Johnson would be out best combo. Butterfield is nice and tidy but he looks like he is running in treacle at times and is not the pressing dynamo we need. Hughes can provide the technical nous and Johnson can get stuck in to them like Bryson did under McLaren's first tenure.

I get that Johnson has not had the best of times so far but played in a position of strength he could be one of our key players.

I think if you play Thorne instead of Johnson at DCM then Bryson and Hughes provide the best balance IMO.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, sage said:

I think if you play Thorne instead of Johnson at DCM then Bryson and Hughes provide the best balance IMO.

Fair enough! I wouldn't be disappointed to see that line up. That is the beauty of having a good squad! I just feel that Johnson can give our midfield the 'bite' it lacked at times when McLaren was last here.

Johnson could do well in this role and a good coach will get him where he needs to be in terms of consistency. With the preferred formation at Derby, we need a player to play make this position his own. A fit George Thorne has to be considered a 'nice to have' rather than something to depend on.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Suppose you play Thorne and Johnson as the 2 in 4-2-3-1 with the 4 attackers including hughes and vydra and any of our "much of a muchness" wide forwards? 

Johnson played well on saturday but when everyone is fit it'd be criminal to leave both Bryson and Butterfield out of the side. Ultimately Johnson isn't technically gifted enough to be considered in our 'best' lineup.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Johnson played well on saturday but when everyone is fit it'd be criminal to leave both Bryson and Butterfield out of the side. Ultimately Johnson isn't technically gifted enough to be considered in our 'best' lineup.

shirt goes with performance, NOT reputation. If he's earning it, he's keeping it, regardless of who is waiting on the bench.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

shirt goes with performance, NOT reputation. If he's earning it, he's keeping it, regardless of who is waiting on the bench.

Oh for sure and (assuming Johnson keeps performances like saturday up) Thorne will have to wait his chance to reclaim his spot. But as @RadioactiveWaste named a future hypothetical line up, I was arguing more on those grounds. Everything being equal, Johnson isn't good enough technically to be in our 'best 11' considering the style of play we want to execute.

28 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Best is relative, depends on what the team needs. A team of 11x Hughes would have a lot of skill, but not necessarily be a good team. I was just hypothetically saying where I couldsee him doing a job when GTis back.although, idhave GT and Hughes asthefirst choice 2 in that system anyway. 

How often do we have our best eleven on the pitch, though? 

One of the problems in McClaren's previous tenure was a lack of squad rotation based on not enough depth. Hence when injury hit us, it hit us hard.

I feel Johnson/Thorne along with Bryson/Hughes/Butterfield gives us much more solid options in midfield. 

I'm not too worried about the ideal team so long as they all fit the style of play and can be interchanged as required.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Best is relative, depends on what the team needs. A team of 11x Hughes would have a lot of skill, but not necessarily be a good team. I was just hypothetically saying where I couldsee him doing a job when GTis back.although, idhave GT and Hughes asthefirst choice 2 in that system anyway. 

I see your point but I'm trying to argue along those grounds. It's vital in 'McClaren's system' that the midfielders are all technically good and have good ball retention first, after that you need the blend of complementing attributes.

That formation is pretty much what we ended up playing under Clement. I will concede it's a reasonable option for when we need to close out a game or (this is more pertinent if we get promoted) games were we don't expect to have the bigger share of possession.

19 hours ago, sage said:

Agree, I don't think we need 2 holding in midfield. George can hold it all together and give Hughes and Bryson the freedom to break forward...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear his name sung after FT. He turned and appreciated it.

Love it when players turn it around. He's been really frustrating and he's not the best passer. But he's never picked himself. He's always gone out there and done his best. Never deserved jeering and booing or celebrations when subbed off. 

I don't think many players do. None pick themselves and rarely do they not care. Low confidence makes players not enjoy it and that can lead to them looking half arsed. 

He has been crap imo but support can only help. At the worst it will do nothing at all. 

Fans were good today. Nervous but good

He's been doing his job a few weeks now, McClaren noted it his first game and expect his confidence will build again, along with his stock in Macs eyes.

Wouldnt surprise me if he goes on to have a great season as McClaren gets the best out of him, he's not afraid to shoot either when further forward. Going to be a real tuft scratcher once Thorne is fully fit.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

He's been doing his job a few weeks now, Maclaren noted it his first game and expect his confidence will build again, along with his stock in Maclaren's eyes.

Wouldnt surprise me if he goes on to have a great season as Maclaren gets the best out of him, he's not afraid to shoot either when further forward. Going to be a real tuft scratcher once Thorne is fully fit.

We could possibly play Johnson, Thorne and Hughes all together in the midfield, especially in the tougher games where we will need strength in there(I.e) Newcastle away

Archived