Bradley Johnson

SuperDerbySuperRams

6 hours ago, McLovin said:

Played very well today. Butterfield was my personal motm but Johnson was close behind alongside Pearce. This role really suits him

Agree on Pearce and Johnson.

Didnt think Butterfield did much, infact as Im sure i will be saying again Im really really not keen on a butterfield/Hughes central midfield.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes the best option in that position given what else we have on offer.

I do hope Mac looks to bring someone in on loan at least as cover for that position.

My issue is that without Brysons energy, and Hendricks driving runs, I really didnt like the Hughes Butterfield combination today. neither press the ball effictively, both can only play the short tidy safe pass, and not ping it like Bradley does from time to time, and neither can make a driving run like Hendrick could and Johnson can.

Infact despite being told to sit nearly all game, which Johnson did well, he also created two of our best moves with his pass to put Vydra through in the first half, and in the second half when he got in behind in the inside right position. (I think this resulted in the corner from which we scored)

Whilst Martin was important in the last mcclaren stint, I really do think Vydra can be better. You dont necesserally need that big man(Martin) to be the back to goal target, if Hughes Butterfield etc could only play Vydra in  when he is making his runs time and time again, I think he could be a real weapon for us. A bit liek when Bent was playing, Vydra is making those runs, derbys safe short sideways passing renders Vydra visually pulling his hair out at times. Really hope Macca can sort this out.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Agree on Pearce and Johnson.

Didnt think Butterfield did much, infact as Im sure i will be saying again Im really really not keen on a butterfield/Hughes central midfield.

Mate, we watched very different games. Butterfield was outstanding today, only bettered by Johnson and maybe Lowe. 

3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Hes the best option in that position given what else we have on offer.

I do hope Mac looks to bring someone in on loan at least as cover for that position.

My issue is that without Brysons energy, and Hendricks driving runs, I really didnt like the Hughes Butterfield combination today. neither press the ball effictively, both can only play the short tidy safe pass, and not ping it like Bradley does from time to time, and neither can make a driving run like Hendrick could and Johnson can.

Infact despite being told to sit nearly all game, which Johnson did well, he also created two of our best moves with his pass to put Vydra through in the first half, and in the second half when he got in behind in the inside right position. (I think this resulted in the corner from which we scored)

Whilst Martin was important in the last mcclaren stint, I really do think Vydra can be better. You dont necesserally need that big man(Martin) to be the back to goal target, if Hughes Butterfield etc could only play Vydra in  when he is making his runs time and time again, I think he could be a real weapon for us. A bit liek when Bent was playing, Vydra is making those runs, derbys safe short sideways passing renders Vydra visually pulling his hair out at times. Really hope Macca can sort this out.

Superb post. Mcclaren needs to read this. You know your stuff, jager.

The only thing I wouldn't imply here is that Hughes cannot ping balls. He can do anything but pinging is last on his mind when he can just dance through players ala David Silva.  

Pearce was MOM for me. Outstanding, covered Lowe's errors at times which is vital for senior pros to do if we're going to bring on the academy lads. Lowe's talent is there for all to see, but showed his inexperience a couple of times.

Close behind was Johnson then Butterfield. I have been extremely critical of both but Johnson especially deserves credit, looked confident in that role (amazing what good coaching and man management can do!) hope he can continue and get back to the player we first signed.

Butterfield, I thought it was his best game in a Rams shirt. Didn't think he had the engine to play in a 3 but looked fitter than previously, and actually thought he was looking forward every opportunity and not passing sideways for a change. Agree though, we missed the Bryson/Hendrick running power, thought Hughes was too deep at times and didn't influence the game enough. 

Still some work to find the right balance but an encouraging start.

I've been outspoken about Bradley Johnson performances to date and I hated that he called our club the wrong name. The combination of that and looking like a league 2 players has bitten deep for me. 

However, I'm always prepared to give a player a chance and if he can keep up yesterday's level of performance then no quibbles at all. He had not just turned into a bad player overnight, something was up for sure. 

You were brilliant yesterday Brad. Best game I have seen you have in a Rams shirt. 

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

Superb post. Mcclaren needs to read this. You know your stuff, jager.

The only thing I wouldn't imply here is that Hughes cannot ping balls. He can do anything but pinging is last on his mind when he can just dance through players ala David Silva.  

Apart from the 'loan' bit.

There is no loan window any more, is there?

11 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Nit picking obscurantism. I thought you don't read my robust posts, mr peremptory challenge.

Could you give me a cogent paradigm of my nit-picking, please?

Johnson was ok. Great pass for vydra  (which ed dawes credited to Pearce). One strange ball through ball to the corner flag.

But  eunan o'kane - in the same position - was far better. He really was outstanding.

Butterfield was the pick of our midfield for me.

we lost control when he went off.

13 months at the club, 4 managers, in and out the team, played CDM, CM, LW, LB,  boo'd on several occasions. Fair to say it's been a tough start with a then record £6m price tag hovering over your head.

He's a very good player not quite seen in a Derby shirt, pleased for him yesterday, pretty sure I called him out as one player I would expect to see a huge improvement under Pearson in my Podcast ramblings, never really worked out....then again it didn't work out for any of the players under Pearson.

Where will he fit into a Steve McClaren Derby side when George Thorne is back? 

4 minutes ago, David said:

13 months at the club, 4 managers, in and out the team, played CDM, CM, LW, LB,  boo'd on several occasions. Fair to say it's been a tough start with a then record £6m price tag hovering over your head.

He's a very good player not quite seen in a Derby shirt, pleased for him yesterday, pretty sure I called him out as one player I would expect to see a huge improvement under Pearson in my Podcast ramblings, never really worked out....then again it didn't work out for any of the players under Pearson.

A confident Johnson is a asset and can play centrally in a 3 deep or further forward,but dont like him wide i think we have more mobile options.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Fresh fit legs. Let's be honest, Thorne isn't going to play every minute when he comes back so Johnson will get opportunities. Hughes, Bryson and Butterflied will also suffer from injuries and get tired towards the end of games. Whoever thinks that Johnson can play CM and score lots of goals are kidding themselves. From corners he will still be a threat. But he is now more suited to the deep lying mid role. But this role will be as it should be and as we saw yesterday. Not just sitting back as protection but being aggressive and driving the midfield forward. When attacking winning the ball back 2/3 of the way up the pitch and keeping our pressure going. He will then inevitably along with Thorne come onto the ball 30 yards out time and again with the chance to shoot without pressure. 

If we play a midfield three I think Hughes - Thorne - Johnson would be out best combo. Butterfield is nice and tidy but he looks like he is running in treacle at times and is not the pressing dynamo we need. Hughes can provide the technical nous and Johnson can get stuck in to them like Bryson did under McLaren's first tenure.

I get that Johnson has not had the best of times so far but played in a position of strength he could be one of our key players.

9 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Fresh fit legs. Let's be honest, Thorne isn't going to play every minute when he comes back so Johnson will get opportunities. Hughes, Bryson and Butterflied will also suffer from injuries and get tired towards the end of games. Whoever thinks that Johnson can play CM and score lots of goals are kidding themselves. From corners he will still be a threat. But he is now more suited to the deep lying mid role. But this role will be as it should be and as we saw yesterday. Not just sitting back as protection but being aggressive and driving the midfield forward. When attacking winning the ball back 2/3 of the way up the pitch and keeping our pressure going. He will then inevitably along with Thorne come onto the ball 30 yards out time and again with the chance to shoot without pressure. 

Disagree with this.

Should be challenging Bryson to play as the CM closest to the striker, which automatically gets him in dangerous positions. Showed yesterday he can play the odd one-two and with his natural power he should be a real attacking asset arriving late in the box, particularly if we've got wingers putting balls into the box for him to challenge for.

Goes without saying he's got a powerful shot on him, and if Vydra's pulling defenders out wide it'll create a load of space for balls to be played into him or Bryson.

Could be really valuable at CM and CDM this season.

6 hours ago, David said:

A few weeks rest until George gets injured again?? 

Archived