Bradley Johnson

SuperDerbySuperRams

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully he has sorted out his personal issues off the pitch. A fully fit Johnson is a real asset to any team in the championship. The key is that he has to be 100% though. If he isn't, then he looks like a league 2 player because his game relies on his physical attributes. Did he play as the holding midfielder?

What we've needed this season - a rock in midfield. He didn't have a brilliant first season for us but for his first 7 or 8 games he was fantastic. He has been fantastic at this level for years now so it wasn't a question of is he good enough, it was a question of if he could rediscover his form. The role he plays certainly isn't going to see him 'past it' at 29. Hopefully a run in the team will bring more confidence and his performances will get to the standard we've been used to seeing for other sides.

Some of the abuse he's got on here has been embarrassing. Posts suggesting he faked injury so not to take a penalty in the cup against Carlisle were probably the funniest. A guy with a decent number of PL appearances, has appeared in a play-off final etc, doesn't have the stomach to take a penalty in the League Cup second round against a League Two team... Hopefully if he has another good game against Reading, the jeers from the home 'fans' won't be so loud whenever he touches the ball and he can actually play with a little freedom.

I've been saying for weeks we needed strength in the middle of the park and Johnson provides that. Just because he had a bad spell doesn't make him a bad player, he's been a top player at this level for so long for a reason. I thought he looked like his old self against Liverpool and can't fathom why he was dropped, so glad he came back tonight and played like he did- it allows our others mids to go further forward. Such an obvious solution and shows pearsons ineptitude that he couldn't see it

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Hopefully he has sorted out his personal issues off the pitch. A fully fit Johnson is a real asset to any team in the championship. The key is that he has to be 100% though. If he isn't, then he looks like a league 2 player because his game relies on his physical attributes. Did he play as the holding midfielder?

It sounded that way, yes. Best place for him for me.

22 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

I've been screaming at management team to started him over Bryson for weeks and Johnson played well. HAPPY DAYS!!! 

He played in the centre mainly where he should be playing, he pretty much dominated the midfield at times.

Ok Cardiff were gash but tonight at least Bradley stepped up to the plate, won his battles and I can't remember him doing much wrong, maybe I'm just overjoyed  and surprised at the result but I thought Bradley was as key as anyone to winning this game.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

"Really surprised" McClaren.

MOTM for me.

Agree completely.

I've said a reasonable amount about Johnson this week (mostly complaining about his ball retention) but he was excellent today, played the role really well. Positionally disciplined, decent distribution and combative when needed. I hope he keeps it up.

Early on he received the ball just back from the half way line. I was so so pleased to see him take it round his man move forward over half way and play a forward ball. Rather than the easy first touch sideways. Indicative of the afternoon, much more positive attitude all round the pitch. 

23 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

"Really surprised" McClaren.

MOTM for me.

Yep I'm fast becoming a Johnson cheerleader, thought he was immense breaking play up and bossed the centre of the pitch, even showed he could pick a pass a couple of occasions.

Hope he can really grow into this role as much as I like George Thorne, no telling how long before he's match fit.

Keep it up Brad, do Derby City proud.

Archived