Ryder Cup - 2016 - Hazeltine

Mostyn6

Love the Ryder cup, something special about it

we've got it all to do, and I'm starting to get some Trash talk from my mate in South Carolina, he's given it the big un already 

Desperarely flicking between red zone and the golf.... The Mrs isn't best pleased lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17-11 US. Totally deserved for their performance on the greens. 

It's a very entertaining tournament, and it's good to see that the continents are so closely matched these days.  Roll on 2018.  Have to say I was disappointed with the Hazeltine course however.  It was in perfect condition naturally.  But the shallow fairway bunkers (that present absolutely no challenge to players of this calibre), free-drops from any obstacle, trimmed lower tree branches and trampled grass all meant that hitting a wild drive would often leave players in no trouble whatsoever.  The course was too easy for the big-hitters, presenting very little risk.  Typical, generic, bland course design/set-up that you see far too often these days, especially on the PGA Tour.  When a player hits a bad drive they should waist deep in gorse, or hacking out sideways from a fairway bunker that they need a ladder to get in and out of.  That would put an emphasis back on being accurate off the tee, which used to be important back in the day ! 

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It's a very entertaining tournament, and it's good to see that the continents are so closely matched these days.  Roll on 2018.  Have to say I was disappointed with the Hazeltine course however.  It was in perfect condition naturally.  But the shallow fairway bunkers (that present absolutely no challenge to players of this calibre), free-drops from any obstacle, trimmed lower tree branches and trampled grass all meant that hitting a wild drive would often leave players in no trouble whatsoever.  The course was too easy for the big-hitters, presenting very little risk.  Typical, generic, bland course design/set-up that you see far too often these days, especially on the PGA Tour.  When a player hits a bad drive they should waist deep in gorse, or hacking out sideways from a fairway bunker that they need a ladder to get in and out of.  That would put an emphasis back on being accurate off the tee, which used to be important back in the day ! 

I'd be disappointed if they set the course up like this for a major, but for a Ryder Cup I thought it was spot on.

When it's man on man, rather than against the card, I see no point in setting the course up to be savage to wayward shots, it was a perfect matchplay set up, imo.

Great watch, roll on France 2018.

15 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I'd be disappointed if they set the course up like this for a major, but for a Ryder Cup I thought it was spot on.

When it's man on man, rather than against the card, I see no point in setting the course up to be savage to wayward shots, it was a perfect matchplay set up, imo.

Great watch, roll on France 2018.

Yeah, it's true to say matchplay and strokeplay are totally different forms of the game. But I still don't the point in letting Koepka or whoever, smack it 360 yards off the tee, without having to worry much about where it lands.  Favours the bigger hitters too much for me, but that's just a personal preference I suppose.  I'm probably biased anyway, as I much rather links golf. 

16 hours ago, Highgate said:

I agree and Rose also commented on the ease of the course.

It might have been a different story had it been a tougher course as certainly Mickelson for one was struggling to hit the fairways the first two days. 

21 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I agree and Rose also commented on the ease of the course.

It might have been a different story had it been a tougher course as certainly Mickelson for one was struggling to hit the fairways the first two days. 

Low risk 'target' golf probably suits the Americans more in general.  It's what they are used to.  Made sense for them to set up a course like that I suppose. The Home team always tries to set up the course to suits it's own players.

Just back at work after a week at the Ryder cup..... glad to be back so I can catch up on some rest... those corporate golf trips are hard work....on the liver..!

I was fortunate to have the whole time there in the corporate section, open bar, more food than I have ever seen in my life and meet and greets with players and celebrities.....oh and we also got to see the golf..!

Highlights of the week......me getting loads of good natured abuse every time anyone overheard my beautiful English accent... Bill Murray on the celebrities day, hilarious....Nial Horan with a DCFC top on.....Rose losing the 100 dollars but the best bit was the super emotional tributes during the opening ceremony to Arnold Palmer.

The Americans were better, they deserved their day in the Minnesota sunshine.

Archived