Dogs

scarboroughwa

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of my pets as an adult have been rescue animals.

Ned (top) I adopted in April 2007, five years + after Angie died. I had Ange for 16 years.

I honestly couldn't bear the thought of having another dog for years after Ange, but eventually decided to 'go again' and could not ever imagine not having a dog ever again. There are, as others said, too many magnificent dogs in need.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

My sheep dog died tonight, 18 years old what a lad! Won't be going to Reading now, cremation in the morning then off round the hill farms of Derbyshire looking for another one.

Sorry to hear 'bout your dog PD , but what an innings !! Good luck in your search

9 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

My sheep dog died tonight, 18 years old what a lad! Won't be going to Reading now, cremation in the morning then off round the hill farms of Derbyshire looking for another one.

18 years .. So sad to lose a friend like that. The great thing though is that they are always in your heart and become part of you. Nothing quite like a dog . Then best of friends unconditional love. It's 12 years since we lost our first dog Max .. Remember him, that wag and enthusiasm for life every single day.

12 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

gutted for you mate. Surprised you're getting another one straight away, almost unheard of.

Took me ages after Honey died to want a dog. But, like others have said, I doubt a day goes by without me thinking or talking about her. She died in 2009. I dream about her quite often too, such a loyal and funny dog.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

gutted for you mate. Surprised you're getting another one straight away, almost unheard of.

Took me ages after Honey died to want a dog. But, like others have said, I doubt a day goes by without me thinking or talking about her. She died in 2009. I dream about her quite often too, such a loyal and funny dog.

I know, I slept on it and couldn't, done nothing all day and now Reading have equalised... *****.

My dog died many years ago but I still think of him. His name was Rama Jajeer Khan and he was an Afghan Hound. Complete nutter and grooming was a nightmare. Miss one day and he was a mass of tangles and knots but a lovely dog. Haven't had a dog since but I am thinking of getting a Leonberger

On 10/2/2016 at 02:23, Strange yearnings said:

My dog died many years ago but I still think of him. His name was Rama Jajeer Khan and he was an Afghan Hound. Complete nutter and grooming was a nightmare. Miss one day and he was a mass of tangles and knots but a lovely dog. Haven't had a dog since but I am thinking of getting a Leonberger

How about a Shetland instead?

There used to be someone on here had a Leonberger, I looked them up and really liked them. I've been looking to rescue one but thankfully haven't found one available which tells me they seem to be going to responsible owners who have researched the breed.

_86578929_hagrid1.jpg

3 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

There used to be someone on here had a Leonberger, I looked them up and really liked them. I've been looking to rescue one but thankfully haven't found one available which tells me they seem to be going to responsible owners who have researched the breed.

_86578929_hagrid1.jpg

Lad at works got 2 of these and I'm sure there not that chuffing big  

We've always rescued others' cast-offs. 

We had Honey, a 2 year old staffy cross from a family member 16 years ago and sadly had to have her put down in January. We were left with 16 years of great memories of camping holidays with the kids, clambering up Kinder Scout with her and countless day trips.

3 years ago we got a tiny 6 month old Jack Russell (Mia) from someone my wife worked with that no longer wanted her, she is so loving and sweet at home but so feisty when she's out. To be honest she's a bit of a nightmare around dogs she takes a dislike to. She's the first "toy" sized dog I've ever owned and I would have never even considered owning one, she's so practical for someone with a small home or garden that I'd certainly recommend a small dog in those circumstances.

In June we purchased our Bella, a year old staffy-jack. We got her from a woman with 2 young kids and another on the way and said she could no longer cope with her. She is bat-sh17 crazy, has the appetite of a labrador and is great company for Mia. Unfortunately she has a bad allergic skin condition that the previous owner failed to mention us and she has so far cost us hundreds of pounds in vets bills. She is part of the family though so we just have to do our best for her.

What I always find interesting about dogs is that they take to other dogs (or not) just like us and it has nothing to do with demeanour 

i can be walking with ours (playful hyperactive scamp) and another dog comes along, playful, perfectly friendly but after a bit of sniffing, one or the other will just ignore and walk on .. Yet 5 mins later .. Well ... You can see it .. I REALLY like YOU and you like me too .. So lets charge around wrestle like lunatics. 

I've seen ours do the play bow, the come on chase me and yet a total aloof response from other dog. And ours can do the same to some lively little stranger. .. Generally our Tinks (an Airedale ) likes border terriers, Staffies, Poodles and Heinz 57's. Alsatians scare her for no reason, she seems to think Labs are a bit boring and collies are like kids with mobile phones. So busy doing their own thing they aren't worth any effort. 

Archived