Dogs

scarboroughwa

Who doesn't love dogs. 

My little fella died a few months ago. We did everything we could to save him but it didn't work out. 

Anyhow,  it's getting close to the time to think about getting a new dog in the house. We dog sat a friend's hound for a few days and the kids we're all over him. 

So,  what dog to get? I've had a lab and a collie but this last dog was a small breed chosen by the missus. He was great and didn't leave much hair around and only left small land mines on the grass at the back.  And everywhere else for that matter. 

So, what's your dog,  and what dog to get? 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Pick a dog that fits your family. After all, he/she is going to become part of that family.

Go for personality not breed.

Ask around and find the right kind of dog for you. If you call dogs' homes they will offer some good advice. I get the feeling that if your kids get to meet a dog they will just latch onto him as soon as he wags his tail, so maybe you should 'interview' the dog first.

Ours is an Airedale terrier .. Playful, thieving, hyperactive, fun loving, squirrel chasing lunatic. Great with other dogs and humans but a bit OTT for some. Cuddly and friendly but only early in the morning and late at night. The rest of the time it's full on tigger bounce 

We've got a Labradoodle and a Jack Russel/Sausage dog cross. Both rescue dogs. The Labradoodle is perfect, I always said I'd have loved a pup from her but being a rescue, she was neutered so it wasn't to be.

The other one is a yappy little buggar who on reflection I could have gone without but the Mrs came home with pictures of her as a pup and went on and on and I relented for a bit of peace. I must admit though she's been good for our older dog.

I can't imagine our home without a dog in it. 

I wish I could have a dog, but two reasons I don't, I couldn't leave it alone and I am allergic to them.

My only gripe with 'some' dog owners is they think everyone should feel the same way about them as they do. My Sister is a prime example, she had a lovely little dog last year, can't remember the breed but looks like a little terrier, although she gets upset when I call him a terrier. She let's her dog on her furniture, which is fine, but when she brings him to my house she also let's him on my furniture, I tell him to get down but all you get is 'don't be mean he is allowed on ours'. 

Add to that we have 2 pet rabbits, I have repeated so many times he is not to go near them, but all you get as he strains on his lead to get to them is 'he only wants to play', yeah try telling that to my rabbits, I'm not sure she will be very impressed if she does ever let him near them and something happens when he had a dent in the shape of my foot in his head.

As you all say dogs are lovely and very rewarding, just wish all owners were mindful that other people need considering too.

This is one thing that contributes to my mood, not having a dog. I had dogs all my life, but have now been without since 2009. I now live alone and am out of the flat for at least half the day on a daily basis.

I would recommend a rescue dog. So many wonderful dogs end up homeless.

Got a rescue dog from an Irish retriever rescue website about nine years ago.  Bit of a hooligan at the start but then she settled in to being a great family dog for the kids and an ideal companion for long distance running.

10 minutes ago, dog said:

Got a rescue dog from an Irish retriever rescue website about nine years ago.  Bit of a hooligan at the start but then she settled in to being a great family dog for the kids and an ideal companion for long distance running.

I think if a dog hasn't got a little bit of madness at some point of it's life, you won't love it as much.

When I talk about my old dogs, I always start with the mad stuff, like stripping the wallpaper from bottom up, making me redecorate! Or me throwing a stick and the dog coming back with a solid cow-pat!

23 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think if a dog hasn't got a little bit of madness at some point of it's life, you won't love it as much.

When I talk about my old dogs, I always start with the mad stuff, like stripping the wallpaper from bottom up, making me redecorate! Or me throwing a stick and the dog coming back with a solid cow-pat!

How does it hold the scraper? Should be on Britain's got talent.

Reckon I've got the happiest dog around, the miserable Dalamation isn't mine. The cat is tho, cats should mix with JRT's apparently. Always been super lucky with pets that they all have been really happy and friendly. 

Jax even plays a lot calmer with kids, tones it right down. 

Call myself Dr Doolittle.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

Archived