433 is gone get over it!

YouRams

The amount of comments read by radio Derby with fans calling for 433 is baffling. "We don't have the players for 442, bring back 433".

Time to engage brains. We have no target striker, for those who have forgotten he's on loan at Fulham. We have no proven CDM (Hanson could step up but let's all be honest he's no fit Thorne) for those who have forgotten our CDM is camped on his favourite injury table again.

When has playing a 433 with no Martin and no Thorne worked well? People are quick to forget our fall from grace when Martin was out injured! How on earth are you expecting it to work now? 433 is gone get over it! 442 might not be the answer but 433 certainly isn't! 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it really baffling to call for a system that has had previous success when we are so woeful at the minute?

You don't need a target man to play 433, you just need a striker who is willing to get involved in the build up play and get support around. You mentioned Hanson yourself also Johnson surely can fulfill that role.

No I'm not saying we need to change to exactly 433 but we need change from Pearson's 442 because this 442 with these  tactics are clearly not suited to the playing squad. 

@brady1993 Johnson was given the chance last season at CDM and looked woeful. The only memorable decent games he's had for us is when he played further up in CM. 

Which one of our strikers would you be confident in playing the Martin role, holding the ball up and having the strength to hold off defenders? Bent, Blackman, Vydra or Weimann? None of them are known to possess those qualities. Blackman at a push but would you trust him to be the focal point of our whole system? I know my answer! 

I for one certainly don't think 433 is the answer, but I think what people are really asking for back is our footballing philosophy, one of quick passing attacking football, not slow turgid hoofball that we seem to be playing at the moment. We need to get back to that style as it suits our playing staff the best, however no doubt stubborn pearson will stick with the same **** 442 and we will continue to fail...

I desperately want our 433 back.

Unfortunately, our anchor man is injured, and our striker is at Fulham.

Ergo, our 433 won't work. Our new shiny 442 isn't working either. Any ideas anyone? Apply to Mr M Morris, c/o DCFC, Derby.

@Millenniumram but for the first half we were passing it on the deck and making good runs the same as we have been the past few league games. Its when we don't score / finish teams off we resort to hoofball. Only people behind the scenes know if that's a Pearson tactic or the players running out of ideas / getting frustrated and stopping playing football. 

4 minutes ago, YouRams said:

@brady1993 Johnson was given the chance last season at CDM and looked woeful. The only memorable decent games he's had for us is when he played further up in CM. 

Which one of our strikers would you be confident in playing the Martin role, holding the ball up and having the strength to hold off defenders? Bent, Blackman, Vydra or Weimann? None of them are known to possess those qualities. Blackman at a push but would you trust him to be the focal point of our whole system? I know my answer! 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can only remember him playing there against Leeds away. Where I thought he looked ok. 

Regarding strikers you are correct to an extent. None of them can replicate what Martin did. But does a 433 need to have that role ? For example Barcelona don't have a target man.

It may seem like but I'm not advocating for a 433 per se. I'm advocating playing to our strengths which is quick, passing football and having control of the game in a formation that is conducive to that.

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

@Millenniumram but for the first half we were passing it on the deck and making good runs the same as we have been the past few league games. Its when we don't score / finish teams off we resort to hoofball. Only people behind the scenes know if that's a Pearson tactic or the players running out of ideas / getting frustrated and stopping playing football. 

I wasn't at today's match so I can't comment on that specifically, but it seems to me that the good football seems to be more of the players making than pearsons, since he seemed perfectly happy at the start of the season getting 0-0s playing hoofball. But like you say that's just me guessing, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, however the simple fact is that we are in the relegation zone- which is beyond unacceptable and the blame in this situation has to go to the manager who has taken them there imo

I've said all along, the formation is a red herring, what matters is style of play.  Without Martin and Thorne (or cover/replacements) we cannot play a possession heavy, controlling system.  And I don't believe we have the players to play the fast, direct system Pearson seems to favour. We also don't have the players to play a sit deep and counter style, or a traditional long ball system. In fact, I don't believe we have the players to play any system I've ever seen before.  So i honestly don't know where we go from here.  All I'll say is, it will take less new signings to get us back to a possession system than the one Pearson favours.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I for one certainly don't think 433 is the answer, but I think what people are really asking for back is our footballing philosophy, one of quick passing attacking football, not slow turgid hoofball that we seem to be playing at the moment. We need to get back to that style as it suits our playing staff the best, however no doubt stubborn pearson will stick with the same **** 442 and we will continue to fail...

I wholeheartedly agree. Although i think 433 could still work, it's certainly not the only direction we could take. For example we could play a diamond, 4231, 352.

(Although very difficult to make work) I even think we have the players to play with a false 9. 

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can only remember him playing there against Leeds away. Where I thought he looked ok. 

Regarding strikers you are correct to an extent. None of them can replicate what Martin did. But does a 433 need to have that role ? For example Barcelona don't have a target man.

It may seem like but I'm not advocating for a 433 per se. I'm advocating playing to our strengths which is quick, passing football and having control of the game in a formation that is conducive to that.

I remember a home game (can't remember the team, many heavy weekends since that one) he looked alarmingly slow playing in CDM and we were torn apart a few times. He could get the chance and prove me completely wrong. They have Suarez who is an ox on the ball though.

Personally id like to see a 532 I have no confidence in our defence at the minute as well as not being able to finish anything. A third centre back could work, been mentioned Bamba is training with us could be his plan. 

2 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I remember a home game (can't remember the team, many heavy weekends since that one) he looked alarmingly slow playing in CDM and we were torn apart a few times. He could get the chance and prove me completely wrong. They have Suarez who is an ox on the ball though.

Personally id like to see a 532 I have no confidence in our defence at the minute as well as not being able to finish anything. A third centre back could work, been mentioned Bamba is training with us could be his plan. 

My only problem with playing a 532/352 would be the left sided cb would have to be Shackell or pearce and they could easily get exposed for pace when having to cover the wing back. But I'd much rather give it a go than what we are seeing right now.

The manager should have more than 1 formation up his sleeve. It should be whatever formation it takes to win the game. 4-3-3 is my favorite formation as you can get the most out of your midfielders whilst remained very solid without the ball. We are perfectly capable of playing it without Martin or Thorne. Pearson used it at Leicester to great effect as well he even played Matty James at CDM and Nugent as a RW. 

Never the less Pearson needs to do something and very very quickly. Win on Tuesday and get the wheels back on (if they were ever on), else this season could fall away from him extremely fast.

4 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

The manager should have more than 1 formation up his sleeve. It should be whatever formation it takes to win the game. 4-3-3 is my favorite formation as you can get the most out of your midfielders whilst remained very solid without the ball. We are perfectly capable of playing it without Martin or Thorne. Pearson used it at Leicester to great effect as well he even played Matty James at CDM and Nugent as a RW. 

Never the less Pearson needs to do something and very very quickly. Win on Tuesday and get the wheels back on (if they were ever on), else this season could fall away from him extremely fast.

Your right a manager should have more than one formation up his sleeve but the variations should be similar and the playstyle shouldn't change.

34 minutes ago, needles said:

I desperately want our 433 back.

Unfortunately, our anchor man is injured, and our striker is at Fulham.

Ergo, our 433 won't work. Our new shiny 442 isn't working either. Any ideas anyone? Apply to Mr M Morris, c/o DCFC, Derby.

Yes 352

Mitchell

Keogh Bamba Pearce(c)

Anya Elsnik Hanson Lowe

Hughes

Blackman Vydra

The thing you forget about 4-4-2 is we dont have defensively minded Fullbacks.

We signed Olssen when we had a shortfall in that area lets not forget to go along with the marauding Christie. That in itself is yet another reason to make sure we have the extra man in midfield.

Archived