Beer Thread

Cisse

The verdict regarding Trois Monts (pictured above) - will buy again. By far, the best French beer I have tasted.

A 'biere de garde' is, literally, a 'beer for keeping' - in other words, a  beer brewed in winter  (long, slow fermentation) for consumption the following year. This sort of beer used to be known as 'farmhouse' beer, and as such, it it similar to the more familiar Belgian 'Saison' - but this is much, much stronger, a hefty 9.5% abv.

It pours beautifully golden in colour with a deep, velvety white head. The aroma is faintly of malt and a little yeast, slightly bready with a little ripe apple. The taste is beautifully subtle and well-balanced - grain, yeast, hops all shine through in turn and the alcohol is (quite surprisingly) subdued. 

Delicious.

10 hours ago, Rev said:

Out with the La Trappe blonde, which came with a lovely glass, and in goes a Leffe Royale IPA. 

Good purchase so far, enjoying working my way through the different beers available.

PXL_20210820_093456256.thumb.jpg.151a65ef66eea790c681b2cc115098fd.jpg

The Leffe Royale is quite disappointing on first taste.

For a start, there's nothing in there that suggests IPA, no hit of hops, and the signature Leffe taste is not really to the fore. 

It almost tastes like a watered down beer, which for a 7.5 abv beer is unusual.

No doubt I'll wake up on the kitchen floor tomorrow, wondering how I got there now I've said that.

13 hours ago, Rev said:

The Leffe Royale is quite disappointing on first taste.

For a start, there's nothing in there that suggests IPA, no hit of hops, and the signature Leffe taste is not really to the fore. 

It almost tastes like a watered down beer, which for a 7.5 abv beer is unusual.

No doubt I'll wake up on the kitchen floor tomorrow, wondering how I got there now I've said that.

When we played Southampton away in the Cup I was unexpectedly left alone overnight to watch the game with two boxes of Belgian beers in the garage from Lidl as recommend by Eddie what could go wrong. I thought I will be sensible and not drink too many and enjoy the beers but the game was that exciting I soon forgot how many I had been drinking. 
The last I remember I was jumping up and down waving my scarf around my head in the living room then waking up in the morning on the sofa.?

Edited by cstand

10 hours ago, cstand said:

When we played Southampton away in the Cup I was unexpectedly left alone overnight to watch the game with two boxes of Belgian beers in the garage from Lidl as recommend by Eddie what could go wrong. I thought I will be sensible and not drink too many and enjoy the beers but the game was that exciting I soon forgot how many I had been drinking. 
The last I remember I was jumping up and down waving my scarf around my head in the living room then waking up in the morning on the sofa.?

I call that "A day with a 'Y' in it".

On 21/08/2021 at 21:29, Eddie said:

I call that "A day with a 'Y' in it".

Never drinking Belgian beers and watching Derby again on tv they are beers to saviour and enjoy relax preferably in the correct glass not to waste getting too excited watching football on tv and forget what you are drinking 

Edited by cstand

Match today Toby Inn Chad

Pedigree awful

Stella awful 

Bottled water in the ground nectar

Unfortunately was on a nightshift last night no time for a decent beer before the game today, was spoilt before Huddersfield game 3 pints of Falstaff silent assassin in babbington arms 5.2. lovely beer

Last night I discovered that I like sour beers. 

2 tropical sours from Vault city brewery in Dundee, and a lemon meringue ice cream sorbet IPA from Buxton brewery. 

Both bought in tesco. 

I've also got 4 differant tins from DEYA brewery in Cheltenham and an Strawberry milkshake IPA from Brewdog saved for a sunny day. 

Previously, any DEYA ones have been superb. 

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Last night I discovered that I like sour beers. 

2 tropical sours from Vault city brewery in Dundee, and a lemon meringue ice cream sorbet IPA from Buxton brewery. 

Both bought in tesco. 

I've also got 4 differant tins from DEYA brewery in Cheltenham and an Strawberry milkshake IPA from Brewdog saved for a sunny day. 

Previously, any DEYA ones have been superb. 

I picked a can of the strawberry milkshake beer up last week. I'm waiting for the right opportunity to open it. Tonight, I contented myself with two bottles of Tynt Meadow and one of McEwan's Champion. That stuff (the McEwan's), at 4 for £6, is a bloody lovely beer. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm not totally obsessed with Belgian and German beers.

Really in need of drinking far less, maybe 2 days a week only or maybe even fewer, maybe not at all, and trying to be at least slightly healthier or else I'm going to have a heart attack and be dead by 40 (Yes, I'm only giving myself 4 years to live).

Not really helping myself by buying a selection of mythically themed bottles from Tartarus Beers up in Horsforth, especially the last one on the list

URAYULI - Coffee Pale Ale - 5.0%
BAKU - Saison - 6.3%
APHRODITE - Strawberry & Raspberry Triple - 8.5%
HEL - Black Kveik DIPA - 8.9%
MA'AT - Hibiscus & Jasmine Flower Imperial NEIPA - 9.4%
VANILLA KLUDDE - Vanilla Infused Belgian Quadruple - 11.5%
ANUBIS - Jasmine & Hibiscus Spiced Stout - 12%
ROC - Imperial Rye Wine - 22%

Edited by Coconut's Beard

On 31/08/2021 at 08:44, Coconut's Beard said:

Really in need of drinking far less, maybe 2 days a week only or maybe even fewer, maybe not at all, and trying to be at least slightly healthier or else I'm going to have a heart attack and be dead by 40 (Yes, I'm only giving myself 4 years to live).

Not really helping myself by buying a selection of mythically themed bottles from Tartarus Beers up in Horsforth, especially the last one on the list

URAYULI - Coffee Pale Ale - 5.0%
BAKU - Saison - 6.3%
APHRODITE - Strawberry & Raspberry Triple - 8.5%
HEL - Black Kveik DIPA - 8.9%
MA'AT - Hibiscus & Jasmine Flower Imperial NEIPA - 9.4%
VANILLA KLUDDE - Vanilla Infused Belgian Quadruple - 11.5%
ANUBIS - Jasmine & Hibiscus Spiced Stout - 12%
ROC - Imperial Rye Wine - 22%

2 consecutive days each week with zero alcohol is the future 

On 28/08/2021 at 16:59, cstand said:

Match today Toby Inn Chad

Pedigree awful

Stella awful 

Bottled water in the ground nectar

Unfortunately was on a nightshift last night no time for a decent beer before the game today, was spoilt before Huddersfield game 3 pints of Falstaff silent assassin in babbington arms 5.2. lovely beer

Dont get back often but Ped was always my favourite, over the years it has diminished to a level where I avoid it.  Was back last weekend and went to the Holly Bush where they have it jugged, magnificent brought back memories of what it should be like.  More confused than ever as to what is happening with it.

On 03/09/2021 at 15:16, Spanish said:

Dont get back often but Ped was always my favourite, over the years it has diminished to a level where I avoid it.  Was back last weekend and went to the Holly Bush where they have it jugged, magnificent brought back memories of what it should be like.  More confused than ever as to what is happening with it.

It's difficult to keep. It has to rest longer than other beers before being tapped.

Not every pub has the patience.