Beer Thread

Cisse

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I found this place for my brother - he can buy his own! ?

https://www.huisvandegeuze.be/en/webshop

Thanks - there are some pretty good prices on there. To tell the truth, although I am a huge fan of Geuzes, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between (say) a €20 sample and a €50 sample. My pocket is pretty well at the bottom end - some of the 3 Fonteinens, Boon Gueuze, Lindemans and Oud Beersel are more my price bracket.

19 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks - there are some pretty good prices on there. To tell the truth, although I am a huge fan of Geuzes, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between (say) a €20 sample and a €50 sample. My pocket is pretty well at the bottom end - some of the 3 Fonteinens, Boon Gueuze, Lindemans and Oud Beersel are more my price bracket.

FYI my brother put his order in yesterday and had an email this afternoon saying it's shipped today.

On 29/11/2020 at 18:32, Eddie said:

I've started looking at other outlets as opposed to BIAB (I have heard that they may have cash flow issues) - and have had a couple of orders recently from Les Bieres Belges and Beer On Web as well as going directly to De Halve Maan brewery. All offer far better service than BIAB - similar price but much quicker delivery, which is the deciding factor when you're thirsty.

Still no real idea how the 'B' word is going to affect ordering online, but the government website seems to suggest that, as far as bringing beer back in your car in the future is concerned, you will be ok to bring back 5 cases of 33 cl bottles per person without any problem. That's based on what they were suggesting in September, at any rate. Saying that, I have had two orders opened recently by Border Force, so it looks as though they are 'practicing'.

Still no update on my order. Definitely problems there. No replies to emails.

Ordered from Beers of Europe at the weekend and it should arrive soon.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Still no update on my order. Definitely problems there. No replies to emails.

Ordered from Beers of Europe at the weekend and it should arrive soon.

My last three orders from BIAB arrived last week, and that's it for me for some time, until they get their act back together (if they ever do). I've cashed in most of my outstanding vouchers with them and am now using alternative sites. Les Bieres Belges is very quick, and no more expensive really, and you can say the same for beeronweb. One has slightly cheaper bottles and a slightly more expensive delivery charge, and the other one is the other way round.

The beauty of Beers of Europe is the free delivery on orders over £60. Tynt Meadow, for instance, is considerably cheaper from BoE than it is picking it up directly from the monastery if you order 24 bottles.

sVyyuJA.jpg

Ooft! I'm pretty sure I've never seen let alone drank a coconut black triple IPA before. This is a big boys drink ?

There are lot of 9, 10, 11%+ beers which hide their strength almost too well, so you end up necking them,  no danger of that here, this one will last me, oh, at least 20 minutes.

Edited by Coconut

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Some and some I imagine. He's fairly annoyed about shut pubs and missing out on his trip(s) to Belgium this year tbh. 

Yes, us too. I had trips planned for the North Sea beer festival in Ostend and the Kerstmarkt in Gent, but hopefully both will be on again in 2021.

i need some assistance.  My stomach can't take strong alcohol anymore, so thought i would get some Veltins beer from our government run liquor store.  They have a wide variety of beers but not Veltins.  Any recommendations for something similar would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, ramit said:

i need some assistance.  My stomach can't take strong alcohol anymore, so thought i would get some Veltins beer from our government run liquor store.  They have a wide variety of beers but not Veltins.  Any recommendations for something similar would be appreciated.

How's about Pilsner Urquell? It's the original Pilsner and, in my wife's opinion, still probably the best. Then there is Budvar (not the American abortion), Augustiner Lagerbier Hell or Hacker-Pschorr Kellerbier. None are particularly strong, but all are full-flavoured lagers which are world-renowned.

You could always try some of the less extreme Belgian blond beers like Brugse Zot, Keizer Karel Charles Quint or, if it's holy water (Trappist) you fancy, try Chimay Doree (Gold).

If you can tolerate wheat, there are some wonderful German Weissbiers and Belgian Witbiers, such as Schneider Weisse Tap 2 (Kristall - a filtered wheat beer) or Franziskaner Kristall, or the cloudy Hefe Weissbiers like Weihenstephaner or Schneider Tap 1. The Belgian go-to witbier is Hoegaarden - much maligned but I think it's delicious.

8 hours ago, ramit said:

Don't listen @Eddie? but my OH reckons Clausthaler 'Unfiltered Dry Hopped' is a good tasting low alcohol beer (Reinheitsgebot).

https://steadydrinker.com/reviews/lager/clausthaler-unfiltered/

https://steadydrinker.com/articles/best-non-alcoholic-beers/

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

How's about Pilsner Urquell? It's the original Pilsner and, in my wife's opinion, still probably the best. Then there is Budvar (not the American abortion), Augustiner Lagerbier Hell or Hacker-Pschorr Kellerbier. None are particularly strong, but all are full-flavoured lagers which are world-renowned.

You could always try some of the less extreme Belgian blond beers like Brugse Zot, Keizer Karel Charles Quint or, if it's holy water (Trappist) you fancy, try Chimay Doree (Gold).

If you can tolerate wheat, there are some wonderful German Weissbiers and Belgian Witbiers, such as Schneider Weisse Tap 2 (Kristall - a filtered wheat beer) or Franziskaner Kristall, or the cloudy Hefe Weissbiers like Weihenstephaner or Schneider Tap 1. The Belgian go-to witbier is Hoegaarden - much maligned but I think it's delicious.

Thank you for taking the time to list those for me.  Think i will start with the Urquell and come back to this list later for further study.

Bought a 4 pack of this random lager from Tesco earlier, it was positioned close to the craft beer section and I hadn't noticed it before.

Had of them, actually quite enjoyed it. Reminded me of the Peroni Doppio Malto (as it's predominantly got a light, smooth, slightly sweet and quite deep malty flavour, and isn't over carbonated) but 5% instead of 8% (or something like that) - recommended.

Going to have a second in between other beers.

...only downside is it's a Carlsberg brand but hey, it's a nice beer. 

The name of it sounds lmore like an Aldi/Lidl  rip off of Birra Moretti

bF6DP3w.jpg

Edited by Coconut