Beer Thread

Cisse

38 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Same brewery as 'Proper Job'?

Correct. They only brew enough to fill 4000 bottles. I feel privileged to have got my hands on a dozen.

It is amazingly good - coffee and vanilla notes as well as plummy fruits. It tool me 3 hours to drink it - most definitely a beer to savour. 

The beer is started off between Christmas and the New Year, then left to mature in bourbon barrels before bottling. The beer was originally created as a collaboration between Roger Ryman (St Austell's brewing director who sadly died earlier this year) and the New Riga brewery in Moscow.

I will allow myself 1 every 2 months, then when next year's batch comes out, do a comparison before laying the rest down.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Correct. They only brew enough to fill 4000 bottles. I feel privileged to have got my hands on a dozen.

It is amazingly good - coffee and vanilla notes as well as plummy fruits. It tool me 3 hours to drink it - most definitely a beer to savour. 

The beer is started off between Christmas and the New Year, then left to mature in bourbon barrels before bottling. The beer was originally created as a collaboration between Roger Ryman (St Austell's brewing director who sadly died earlier this year) and the New Riga brewery in Moscow.

I will allow myself 1 every 2 months, then when next year's batch comes out, do a comparison before laying the rest down.

I guess it's not much use me popping round to Aldi then?

35 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Where do I get some from?

St Austell Brewery - next November.

This year's stock sold out in minutes. I was logged on beforehand, waiting for them to come on sale at 5:00 pm on Thursday.

59 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I guess it's not much use me popping round to Aldi then?

It's the first year I've ever managed to score a few bottles. I may share one with my son on Christmas Day, but I've got a few bottles of Straffe Hendrik Heritage 2018 to distract him.

Edited by Eddie

On 21/11/2020 at 14:02, Coconut said:

My BIAB orde of 26 (which I thought was a good haul until I saw your 90!) has just arrived too - with a Duvel apron & (massive!) Gouden Caroulous bottle opener thrown in as a little (not little) gift!

Just opened our first BIAB order for a while (two arrived on Friday - opened one today and will leave the other one for a few days yet).

I too was the recipient of a prezzy - a 75 cl bottle of Gulden Draak Brewmaster 2019.

He must be desperate to keep my custom.

Edited by Eddie

On 22/11/2020 at 19:40, Eddie said:

Just opened our first BIAB order for a while (two arrived on Friday - opened one today and will leave the other one for a few days yet).

I too was the recipient of a prezzy - a 75 cl bottle of Gulden Draak Brewmaster 2019.

He must be desperate to keep my custom.

Kurt still ignoring my emails. Christmas could be ruined ?

Two cases of Christmas Ales (one Belgian, one English) arrived this morning from Beers of Europe which will make up my “Beervent” calendar this year.

Barbe Noel (Brouwerij Verhaeghe, West Flanders) 7.5%

Corsendonk Christmas (Corsendonk Brewery) 8.5%

Delirium Christmas (Huyghe Brewery) 10%

Gordons Xmas Ale (John Martin, Itterbeek) 8.8%

Grimbergen Winter (Grimbergen Brewery) 6.5%

Het Kapittel Watou Winter (Het Kapittel) 7.8%

La Gauloise Christmas (Brasserie Du Bocq, Wallonia) 8.1%

Leffe Winter (Leffe) 6.6%

Lupulus Hibernatus (Les 3 Fourquets) 9.5%

N'ice Chouffe (Chouffe) 10%

St Bernardus Christmas Ale (St Bernardus Brewery, Watou) 10%

Ter Dolen Winter (Brouwerij de Dool) 9.1%

8 Sail Bobbin Robin (8 Sail Brewery, Sleaford) 5.8%

Brew York Fairytale of Brew York (Brew York) 4.9%

Cheddar Ales Festive Totty (Cheddar Ales) 4.7%

Firebrand Beers of Europe Orange and Cocoa Collaboration Dubbel (Firebrand Brewery) 7.0%

Mauldons Scrooges Revenge (Mauldons) 4.9%

Milestone Donner and Blitzed (Milestone Brewery) 5.4%

Moon Gazer Hiberno (Moon Gazer Brewery) 4.5%

Ridgeway Bad Elf (Ridgeway Brewery) 6.0%

Saltaire White Christmas (Saltaire Brewery) 4.8%

Samuel Smiths Winter Ale (Samuel Smiths Brewery) 6.0%

St Peter’s Christmas Ale (St. Peter’s Brewery) 7.0%

Wolf Brewery Santa Paws (Wolf Brewery) 4.5%

19 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Suggestions for Christmas please. 

Best lagers,

Best IPA

Best dark beers

Best others

Im trying to stay away from the Brewdog and Harviestoun catalogue and considering West brewery as an option. 

Houblon Chouffe is a nice IPA. 

Ename and Gouden Carolus Tripel nice tasty beers. 

Tynt Meadow if you like a darker beer. 

Avoid anything which comes from the supermarket in packs of more than six. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Houblon Chouffe is a nice IPA. 

Ename and Gouden Carolus Tripel nice tasty beers. 

Tynt Meadow if you like a darker beer. 

Avoid anything which comes from the supermarket in packs of more than six. 

Tried 3 x  660ml Haverlee tonight. Ok, nothing to write home about. 

I'll have a look at your suggestions, cheers. 

On 28/11/2020 at 00:58, CWC1983 said:

Suggestions for Christmas please. 

Best lagers,

Best IPA

Best dark beers

Best others

Im trying to stay away from the Brewdog and Harviestoun catalogue and considering West brewery as an option. 

Try Beerhawk, they do some good value mixed selections by type and country. Register first for beer tokens, yesterday ordered £115 worth of beer, which gave £12.50 in tokens for future use.

I've started looking at other outlets as opposed to BIAB (I have heard that they may have cash flow issues) - and have had a couple of orders recently from Les Bieres Belges and Beer On Web as well as going directly to De Halve Maan brewery. All offer far better service than BIAB - similar price but much quicker delivery, which is the deciding factor when you're thirsty.

Still no real idea how the 'B' word is going to affect ordering online, but the government website seems to suggest that, as far as bringing beer back in your car in the future is concerned, you will be ok to bring back 5 cases of 33 cl bottles per person without any problem. That's based on what they were suggesting in September, at any rate. Saying that, I have had two orders opened recently by Border Force, so it looks as though they are 'practicing'.

49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've started looking at other outlets as opposed to BIAB (I have heard that they may have cash flow issues) - and have had a couple of orders recently from Les Bieres Belges and Beer On Web as well as going directly to De Halve Maan brewery. All offer far better service than BIAB - similar price but much quicker delivery, which is the deciding factor when you're thirsty.

I found this place for my brother - he can buy his own! ?

https://www.huisvandegeuze.be/en/webshop